Reply to D.K. Agencies

Peter Hook pehook at UMICH.EDU
Tue Jul 27 15:00:46 UTC 2004

Dear Shri Surya,

        Xdvng font is (to my eyes) an elegant, well-proportioned font.
However, it is preferable on many other grounds to use Unicode and I do
not recommend that anyone use Xdvng now. One of the present objectives for
me and my colleagues is to find a way to convert Malhar from Xdvng to
Unicode (without re-entering the entire work one symbol at a time).
        One of the reasons you found the exercise difficult may be that
parts of it are simply wrong! If as a native speaker of Hindi you feel
that the answers given are underdetermined by their contexts, not
sufficiently supported by the information given in CVpaR.html, or just
erroneous, I'd appreciate knowing that. My intention in sending the
message I sent to members of the List was to obtain just such feedback.
        It is also possible that rules for normal usage of vector <paR>
are too complex and too idiosyncratic to be consciously acquired by adult
learners, or even too elusive to be defined. I hope that is not the
case...

        Thank you for your comments.

                Peter