missingsch?

Harold F. Schiffman haroldfs at CCAT.SAS.UPENN.EDU
Fri Apr 8 13:51:35 UTC 2005

In a recent query to Linguist-List (below) Wiggers asks if there are other
examples in the world of L-variety speakers imitating H-variety languages,
but not quite getting it right, and subsequent jokes etc. about this.
I'm wondering if there are examples in South Asian languages of this
phenomenon. In South Asia we have of course lots of lampooning of
non-standard dialects in films etc. but it's not a case of those speakers
trying to imitate H-variety.

Hal Schiffman
=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+
                          Harold F. Schiffman

Professor of Dravidian Linguistics and Culture                       Director
Dept. of South Asia Studies                     Pedagogical Materials Project,
805 Williams Hall Box 6305                 South Asia Language Resource Center

                        University of Pennsylvania
                        Philadelphia, PA 19104-6305

                        Phone:  (215) 898-5825
                        Fax:  (215) 573-2138