Learning Urdu/Hindi

hamza at SENT.COM hamza at SENT.COM
Thu Aug 25 11:32:59 UTC 2005

Esteemed scholars,

I am seeking advice on how to best continue my studies of Urdu/Hindi. My
primary goal is thorough oral and written competence.

I have been studying what I call the Urdu-Hindi language complex on a
part-time basis for four years in the U.S.A. The results of these
efforts have been unsatisfactory. While I can read the two main scripts
and have a decent grasp of the phonetic bases, my comprehension of the
spoken language is poor, my conversational capabilities are dismal, and
my vocabulary is inadequate. I am trying to determine the best way to
mitigate these and other deficiencies. Naturally, I also need to better
understand the associated cultural contexts. No doubt ancillary studies
of Farsi, Arabic, the base Prakrits, and Sanskrit would also be ideal.
(I have studied introductory Arabic in this connection.)

On another note, almost everyone I meet considers my intent to pursue
this study in earnest to be a sign of mild insanity. I admit that I
cannot imagine how it will benefit me in any practical way. On the other
hand, it has been my only consistent interest in the past several years.

I apologize if these questions are too general or simpleminded for this
mailing list. I would appreciate any insights.