Verbs of existence

E. Bashir ebashir at YAHOO.COM
Mon May 2 16:39:58 UTC 2005

Dear Prashant,

Good to see a message from you.

The two NWIA "Dardic" languages Kalasha and Khowar, on
which I work, make this distinction.  Since the verbs
of existence are used as auxiliaries throughout the
verb system, the animacy distinction applies to most
of the basic verb forms.

The situation is as follows:
           Animate                    Inanimate

Kalasha    asik                       s^ik

Khowar     asik                       s^ik

(s^ = palatal sibilant)

As I have said in several places, the inherited
grammatical gender system has been replaced in these
languages by an animacy-based system.

Regards,
Elena Bashir

--- Prashant Pardeshi <prashantpardeshi at YAHOO.COM>