that "offensive" survey request on diglossia

Peter Slomanson slomanson at GMAIL.COM
Tue Feb 5 19:10:51 UTC 2008

My objection was not to the idea that a diglossic linguistic culture in
which the H language is linguistically distant from the vernacular
language may be an impediment to literacy.

My only objection was to the reference to ostensible ideological
motivations for the maintenance of diglossia, and more specifically to
the terms used, including "fanaticism" and that "they" wish to "create a
maximally large 'Arab people'".  Why would one suggest that political
pan-Arabism is a *general* motivation for the maintenance of the
diglossic system in Arabic-speaking societies?  Why should explicitly
political motives necessarily be associated with the maintenance of
diglossia in (predominantly) Muslim linguistic cultures?  When was
the last time Swiss Germans were referred to as fanatics of any variety
in discussions of the maintenance of a diglossic system in Switzerland?

What about the idea that diglossia is perpetuated because it is
traditionally an integral part of some linguistic culture?  That
dynamic (simple cultural conservatism) would apply in all of the
linguistic cultures to which John referred.  I certainly take that to be the
motivation for the maintenance of diglossia in Tamil, for example, although
general Tamil language maintenance is an extremely politicized matter.
The idea that only the vernacular is the variety with which its speakers
ought to identify may be completely logical to linguists from non-diglossic
linguistic cultures, but it is hardly a universal perspective.  That  fact
obviates the need to look for a grand ideological motivation for maintaining
diglossia, a motivation which, widespread or not, might also be described in
less judgmental terms.

John noted that literacy in Sinhala and in Malayalam are quite high.
I have assumed that educational policy/conditions can go a long way
toward mitigating any negative effects of diglossia.  I have long found
the extent of literacy in Sinhala to be particularly impressive at this
point in history.  Although diglossia may contribute to difficulties in
education elsewhere, I am unaware of any literature making such a
claim with reference to Sinhala.  (Of course they may well exist.)
Linguistic informants/consultants have drawn my attention to
problems that arise in Sri Lanka when children there are educated
in a language that is unrelated to their home and peer group
language, however this is another matter.  I would be very interested
indeed in a longer discussion of diglossia and education in South
Asia with anyone who cares to jump in, in this forum or privately.

Peter Slomanson