the diglossia survey again

James Gair jwg2 at CORNELL.EDU
Tue Feb 5 23:30:10 UTC 2008

I have to thank Hal Schiffman for his sensible and reasoned  attempt
to clarify the questions and the issues  raised by John's request and
the characterizations that formed part of it. Personally, I have no
desire or intention of entering into a contentious discussion on the
topic (or any others of that kind--I have had enough of those in my
quite long academic career,)

However, I cannot forbear from a few comments and suggestions.

First, John raised some interesting points, some of which have been
pursued in the research literature more than others, and further
research on diglossia in both its structural and socio-
anthropological aspects should be welcomed. If it leads to
discussion, the bringing together of research in different languages
and settings, great, and that would be even better if it lead to new
research.
	What seems to have happened here is that John used the word
"fanaticism", which appears to be what disturbed Peter. On the other
hand, it might be advisable to avoid words like "offensive". and I
suggest that we might usefully apply ourselves to  the collection and
analysis of results and data, and relating the work from different
languages, contrasting and comparing what is there in some principled
fashion. i that that John was, in fact contemplating something of the
kind, which is all to the good.
	I didn't think that he was really suggesting that political pan-
Arabism is a *general* motivation for the maintenance of thediglossic
system in Arabic-speaking societies" in those terms. Rather, as I
read it, however unfortunately it might have been put, and once I
stripped it of the hot word, he opined that diglossic maintenance in
that case was linked to religion and Arab nationalism and
identity.Setting aside the PC aspects, this can be considered as a
hypothesis to be entertained. As Hal says "In other words, there are
many sociolingustic factors involved here, but Ithink it's an area
for more research.  In any event, it's not an ignorant question, and
it's not meant to be offensive."
	I have had limited contact with Arabic, but I have guided at least
one thesis in Arabic diglossia (or multi-glossia), and the attitude
toward Qu'ranic Arabic among Arabic speakers, and the veneration in
which it is held is I found quite different from that towards Tamil,
with which i had somewhat more experience, and Sinhala, with which i
have had considerably more. The latter two lack the intimate
religious connection that forms an integral part of the Arabic
situation. (Someone is sure to bring up some connection of Sinhala
with Buddhism, but that is at most indirect, filtered through
communal identity, and in any event not directly related to H, as far
as I know). There has been a fair amount of work on the Sinhala
situation, some of it mine, and also a significant amount on Tamil by
Hal and others. We could use more of it.  I hope that people are
aware of the volume South Asian Languages: Structure, Convergence and
Diglossia, edited bh Bh. Krishnamurti and others (Motilal
Banarsidass, 1986), which contains several papers on the subject,
including Hal (with Arokianathan) and me, and including one by my
late, lamented colleague M.W.S. De Silva that directly addresses
Diglossia and literacy.  He also has a 1976 Monograph entitled
Diglossia and Literacy, and one happy byproduct of the present
exchange is that it spurred my recollection of that work. Three of my
own papers, including the one in the Krishnamurti volume, are
included in my 1998 OUP collection, and I would be happy to make them
available. There is also interesting work on diglossia by John
Paolillo, focusing on Sinhala.
One thing is clear: the situations, whatever features they share, are
also different in significant ways, and the factors affecting
maintenance are different. Hal mentioned  distance between varieties
as a factor, and the difficulty of measuring it.One feature of
Sinhala, for example, is the considerable grammatical distance
between H and L, and the emergence of a kind of "middle" variety
(formal spoken). the growth of which has been energized by the
demands of immediate communication in the mass media. One factor that
I might mention, with regard to both maintenance and literacy, is a
kind of cross-varirty asymmetry in the relation of script and
phonology. The variety of script used in Literary includes several
historically relevant distinctions not maintained in the spoken
language (or, for that matter in some earlier literary varieties. For
example, the full alphabet includes aspirated and unaspirated
consonants, a distinction lost by the earliest inscriptions ca. 3rd
ctry BCE, and certainly in the spoken language but used in dealing
with IA loanwords.It also writes a distinction between retroflex and
dental nasals and laterals, which were retained in early Sinhala, but
lost by about the 8th ctry CE.
	In reading, this does not cause any really serious handicap, since,
for example, aspirated and unaspirated  consonants are pronounced
unaspirated (except in rare  cases where one may attempt virtuosity
in rendering the aspirated ones). Thus in essence, the two-to-one
drelationshipis relatively straightforwatd. In writing, however one
must learn the distinctions as they pertain to specific lexical
items. Thus <tana> 'breast' and <taNa> 'grass' are orthographically
distinct but phonologically the same. I once ventured that, counter
to Ferguson's initial description of diglossia and what might lead to
its demise, widespread literacy in Sinhala did not lead to its loss,
but that there might be such an effect when more people were led to
write more extensively. Whether this is indeed to be the case remains
to be seen, but without attempting a formal survey of some sort, it
does appear that the formal spoken mentioned above is expanding its
domain.

One last point, since this is already becoming much longer than i had
planned.
It is undoubtedly true that, as Peter says,  " that diglossia is
perpetuated because it is traditionally an integral part of some
linguistic culture". However,the important question is what are the
elements of the different  "linguistic cultures" that bear on and
define the different situations with regard to nature and maintenance.

We have to thank John Myhill for bringing up the issue, and Peter
Slomanson for stirring it up. Now let's hope for some further knowledge.
The interesting  contributions by Hal and Lakshmi Srinivas came in,
apparently while I was writing this, but I'll send it as it is, since
there is no conflict, noting alao note that Lakshmi brings in a new
dimension, leading one to recall also the much discussed line in the
Pali canon in which the Buddha states in what variety his teachings
may be conveyed.

collegially,
James W. Gair