Constituent order

E. Bashir ebashir at YAHOO.COM
Fri Mar 7 19:15:54 UTC 2008

I was encouraged to see the reply by Narayan Prasad
(who I'm assuming is a native speaker of Hindi) which
listed two meanings for sentence (1), neither of which
had a definite reading for "necklace" (see his
message).  That was my own immediate reaction to this
post, but since I am only a "near-native speaker", I
hesitated to say so until now.

Elena Bashir
University of Chicago

--- Bob Eaton <pete_dembrowski at HOTMAIL.COM> wrote:

> VYAKARAN: South Asian Languages and Linguistics Net
> Editors:  Tej K. Bhatia, Syracuse University, New
> York
>           John Peterson, University of Osnabrueck,
> Germany
> Details:  Send email to listserv at listserv.syr.edu
> and say: INFO VYAKARAN
> Subscribe:Send email to listserv at listserv.syr.edu
> and say:
>           SUBSCRIBE VYAKARAN FIRST_NAME LAST_NAME
>           (Substitute your real name for first_name
> last_name)
> Archives: http://listserv.syr.edu
>
> नमस्‍ते दोसों,
>

> I have a question about the implications of various
> constituent orders in Hindi.
>

> The following example (from T. Mohanan 1994) is
> considered to be the normal “unmarked” (or
> “canonical”) order for constituents in Hindi
> (where S=Subject/कर्ता,
> O=Object/कर्म, IO=Indirect Object, and
> V=Verb/क्रिया):
>

>       1.
>      इला ने à¤
नु को हार
> भेजा।
>
>       ilaa
>      ne
>      anu
>      ko
>      haaɾ
>      bhej-0-aa
>
>       Ila
>      erg
>      Anu
>      DAT
>      necklace
>      send-perf-ms
>
>       {  S  }
>      {  IO }
>      {   O  }
>      {    V    }
>
>       Ila sent Anu a/the necklace
>

> Notice how the object can have either a definite or
> indefinite interpretation (i.e. “a necklace” or
> “the necklace”).  She suggests that if you move
> the object from this “canonical” position, it
> loses the indefinite interpretation:
>

>       2.
>      इला ने हार à¤
नु को
> भेजा।
>
>       ilaa
>      ne
>      haaɾ
>      anu
>      ko
>      bhej-0-aa
>
>       Ila
>      erg
>      necklace
>      Anu
>      DAT
>      send-perf-ms
>
>       {  S  }
>      {   O  }
>      {  IO  }
>      {    V    }
>
>       Ila sent Anu the/*a necklace
>
>       3.
>      हार इला ने à¤
नु को
> भेजा।
>
>       haaɾ
>      ilaa
>      ne
>      anu
>      ko
>      bhej-0-aa
>
>       necklace
>      Ila
>      erg
>      Anu
>      DAT
>      send-perf-ms
>
>       {   O  }
>      {  S  }
>      {  IO  }
>      {    V    }
>
>       Ila sent Anu the/*a necklace
>

> Notice in these two examples that the interpretation
> of necklace must be definite (i.e. “the
> neckless”).
>

> She then goes on to say that this “shift from
> canonical position” will do the same thing to the
> subject. For which she gives the following two
> examples:
>

>       4.
>      सुनार ने à¤
नु को
> हार भेजा।
>
>       sunaaɾ
>      ne
>      anu
>      ko
>      haaɾ
>      bhej-0-aa
>
>       goldsmith
>      erg
>      Anu
>      DAT
>      necklace
>      send-perf-ms
>
>       {     S     }
>      {  IO  }
>      {   O  }
>      {    V    }
>
>       The/?a goldsmith sent Anu a/the necklace
>
>       5.
>      à¤
नु को हार सुनार
> ने भेजा।
>

>       anu
>      ko
>      haaɾ
>      sunaaɾ
>      ne
>      bhej-0-aa
>

>       Anu
>      DAT
>      necklace
>      goldsmith
>      erg
>      send-perf-ms
>

>       {  IO  }
>      {   O  }
>      {     S    }
>      {    V    }
>

>       The/*a goldsmith sent Anu the/*a necklace
>

> My question is, I think it’s the choice of subject
> noun that is causing this effect and I think if it
> were a different noun which more readily lent itself
> to indefiniteness, this final example could have an
> indefinite subject interpretation. Maybe since
> goldsmiths aren’t that common, they don’t easily
> lend themselves to being indefinite (notice in (5)
> that
=== message truncated ===