Guarki, Gwarki

Tej Krishan Bhatia tkbhatia at SYR.EDU
Wed Sep 2 21:41:53 UTC 2009

Here is a query from one of my students.

My name is Emera Bridger Wilson and I am working with a Sikh diasporic
community in eastern Rajasthan. At Partition, they emigrated from Sindh
province near Karachi and were resettled in northern and eastern
Rajasthan and Madhya Pradesh. They identify their language as
Guarki/Gwarki and they claim that it is similar to but distinct from
Gujarati. I would like to know more about this language and how it might
be related to their ethnic/caste background--they refer to themselves as
Lavana Sikhs. Thank you.