question about Proto/Para-Munda affix -usha

Tue Feb 23 13:29:13 UTC 2010

On Feb 22, 2010, at 11:11 AM, Richa Pauranik Clements wrote:

> VYAKARAN: South Asian Languages and Linguistics Net
> Editors:  Tej K. Bhatia, Syracuse University, New York
>          John Peterson, University of Osnabrueck, Germany
> Details:  Send email to listserv at listserv.syr.edu and say: INFO
> VYAKARAN
> Subscribe:Send email to listserv at listserv.syr.edu and say:
>          SUBSCRIBE VYAKARAN FIRST_NAME LAST_NAME
>          (Substitute your real name for first_name last_name)
> Archives: http://listserv.syr.edu

See Mayrhofer's Etym. Dictonary (EWAia) II 149 sq.:
"not explained convincingly"

He speculates on the final sounds having been influenced by manuSa-,
and that the RV form pUruSa- may indicate an opriginal *pUrSa- < *pRso-
(Connected, controversially, by Wackernagel with Latin parricida/
paricida)
etc. etc.
Cf. also Kuiper, FS Kirfel 1955: 146; KEWA II 313 with details.

Monier Williams' etymologies mostly are seriously out of date and
were so already when he published the dictionary (based on the
Petersburg one of 1850-75!) about a hundred years ago. Not to be used.

As for nArAyaNa- etc. see the "etymology" in the initial section of
Manu which clearly links the name with nara- 'water' which is of
course an adaptation of Drav. nIr 'water'. This appears first in
SatapataBr. in the river name sadAnIrA = Gandaki "always having
water', as it is a glacier-fed stream "that makes on shiver even in
the hot season"....(if not from nIla- 'blue' as some suppose).

Then, there are some strange names in Atharvaveda Paipp. (takman
hymn, PS 12.1 = PS Kashmir 12.1)... Have never published my paper on
that point, yet.

Cheers,
M.

Michael Witzel