Fwd: Variation and change in the Asia-Pacific region

John Peterson peterson at RZ.UNI-LEIPZIG.DE
Sat Mar 27 18:35:53 UTC 2010

Sorry for cross-posting!
John

----- Weitergeleitete Nachricht von stanfo23 at GMAIL.COM -----
      Datum: Sat, 27 Mar 2010 10:38:46 -0400
        Von: James Stanford <stanfo23 at GMAIL.COM>
Antwort an: James Stanford <stanfo23 at GMAIL.COM>
    Betreff: Variation and change in the Asia-Pacific region
         An: SEALANG-L at LISTSERV.LINGUISTLIST.ORG

Call For Papers:
(Apologies for any multiple postings)

NWAV ASIA-PACIFIC (NWAV-AP)
New Ways of Analyzing Language Variation and Change: Asia-Pacific Region
February 23-26, 2011
University of Delhi, India

Keynote Speaker:
William Labov
University of Pennsylvania

Conference Coordinator: Shobha Satyanath
Department of Linguistics, University of Delhi

Website: http://nwavap.du.ac.in/

The annual North American meeting of New Ways of Analyzing Variation (NWAV)
has
a long and influential history of bringing together scholars researching
language variation and change. Likewise, European conference series have
provided opportunities for scholars working on this paradigm in Europe
(e.g.,
ICLaVE). We believe that it is now time to develop a related conference
series
focused on the Asia-Pacific region. After all, the Asia-Pacific region
includes
some of the world's most sociolinguistically complex societies, many of
which
are being studied by local and international sociolinguists. We therefore
invite
you to join us in inaugurating a new regional conference, NWAV ASIA-PACIFIC
(NWAV-AP), to serve as an 'Asian branch' of NWAV.

The first meeting of NWAV ASIA-PACIFIC will be held at the University of
Delhi,
India, February 23-26, 2011. We are happy to announce that William Labov
has
kindly agreed to be the keynote speaker. The research that this conference
endeavors to bring together will be firmly based on empirical data with an
emphasis on quantitative analysis of variation and change. We welcome
abstract
submissions for 20-minute conference talks on a wide range of topics in
language
variation and change across the Asia-Pacific region, including speech
communities, multilingualism, urbanization and migration, sociophonetics,
individual variation and style-shifting in complex speech communities,
language
contact, variation in minority languages, dialect variation and change,
dialect
contact, variation in acquisition, language change across the lifespan,
perceptual dialectology, and other related topics such as technological
resources for sociolinguistic research.

Considering the diverse opportunities and research challenges in the ever-
increasing, multilingual spaces of Asia, we believe that such a forum is
not
only highly relevant but urgently needed. We're taking this first step in
the
series with the hope that others will join us in helping to make this
conference a regular event at other Asian-Pacific locations in the future.
We
hope to see you in India for this inaugural meeting of NWAV ASIA-PACIFIC!

- One-page abstracts should be submitted online by August 8, 2010 on the
conference website: http://nwavap.du.ac.in/

Notifications about acceptance will be sent in early September.

For any questions, please contact the NWAV ASIA-PACIFIC planning committee:
1. Coordinator: Shobha Satyanath, University of Delhi, Delhi, India:
ssatyanath.du at gmail.com
2. James Stanford, Dartmouth College: James.N.Stanford at Dartmouth.edu
3. Victoria Rau, Wheaton College & National Chung Cheng University, Taiwan:
Victoria.Rau at wheaton.edu
4. Webmaster: Sarah Lee, Rice University: sarah.lee at rice.edu

Post to SEALANG-L:  send mail to sealang-l at listserv.linguistlist.org

Unsubscribe: send the message "unsubscribe sealang-l" to
listserv at listserv.linguistlist.org

Subscribe: send the message "subscribe sealang-l Your Name" to
listserv at listserv.linguistlist.org

"Stability in language is synonymous with rigor mortis." - Ernest
Weekley (1865-1954)

John Peterson
Institut für Linguistik
Universität Leipzig