Question about city names that are being renamed

Madhukar N. Gogate mngogate1932 at YAHOO.COM
Sat May 21 10:47:48 UTC 2011

Discussion is going beyond subject, but it is valuable and may
be allowed. Octobre (French) led to October (English), which
gave rise to Aktubar (Hindi). Such things happen. Note, Roman
script is not uniformly used by all Europen languages. English
(sh) sound is denoted as (ch) in Francais, (sch) in German, (x)
in Portuguese. Hence, English words like Chicago, Parachute,
Chef (due to French origin and impact), but (ch) is uttered as
English (sh). Moreover, English (sh) sound is also denoted by
(tio) as in (station, creation), by (ss) as in (session, passion).
Irrationality, thy name is English ! (tio) is read (ch) in Question

Here, in passing, I would like to add that there is a Geneva
Convention (told to me by some Military officers) that in all
languages, all scripts, (Admiral, General, Commodore etc)
ranks are read same as the English pronunciations. Why ?
POW = Prisoners of War !! If caught, they are not flogged
daily. They are asked to work (build roads etc) but higher
officers, due to their Rank (understood because of common
pronuncuation), are given separate treatment. Why ? They
may one day disclose information & secrets of enemies !!!

-- M. N Gogate (www.mngogate.com) > E01, E02, E04, E15