Language irregularities. - Details on a "Need to know" basis?

Deshpande, Madhav mmdesh at UMICH.EDU
Mon May 23 13:26:17 UTC 2011

Hello Friends,

This discussion is very interesting and reminds me of my early years in the US when I told a salesperson "this sweater does not go in my head," and she then asked:  "Why would you put the sweater in your head and not over your head."  Then I realized what I was doing, translating my Marathi literally into English.  The locative sense is expressed in Marathi either with a form like pāy "leg/foot" > pāyāt, or pāyāvar.  Here, the first form is historically derived by adding -antar, while the second form is derived historically with the addition of -upari in Sanskrit, where the distinction between antar "in/inside" and upari "on/on top of" is clear.  However, I suppose as the first form, e.g. pāyāt, became more like affixation, than a post-position, it probably developed a more general locative sense as it is seen in the locative case forms in Sanskrit.  However, the historical memory of a form like pāyāt containing something like antar is there (consider the explicit expression: pāyācyā āt "inside the foot") and hence creates a surface-problem of how can we use the "in"-form in the sense of "on".  In Sanskrit, the locative form like gṛhe can be used in both the meanings which are only contextually distinguished:  rāmaḥ gṛhe sīdati versus kākaḥ gṛhe sīdati.  I suppose, a Marathi form like pāyāt has gone in this direction half-way, but not all the way, because for an explicit meaning of "on", one would clearly say: pāyāvar "on the foot" (consider: pāyāvar pāy paḍlā "(His) foot fell on (my) foot.").

Madhav

Madhav M. Deshpande
Professor of Sanskrit and Linguistics
Department of Asian Languages and Cultures
202 South Thayer Street, Suite 6111
The University of Michigan
Ann Arbor, Michigan 48104-1608, USA