Indian-American Prof Braj Kachru dead

Indira Junghare jungh001 at UMN.EDU
Tue Aug 2 21:34:12 UTC 2016

VYAKARAN: South Asian Languages and Linguistics Net Editors: Tej K.
Bhatia, Syracuse University, New York John Peterson, University of
Osnabrueck, Germany Details: Send email to listserv at listserv.syr.edu
and say: INFO VYAKARAN Subscribe:Send email to
listserv at listserv.syr.edu and say: SUBSCRIBE VYAKARAN FIRST_NAME
LAST_NAME (Substitute your real name for first_name last_name)
Archives: http://listserv.syr.edu

     I am saddened to hear the news of distinguished scholar
Kachruji’s passing.
     Professor Kachru’s insightful and visionary creation of the field
of World Englishes is bound to be of great importance in this age of
globalization, modernization and diversity.

     Surely, billions of non-native speakers of English, including
myself, are grateful to Kachruji for raising the status of diverse
Englishes.

     On a personal level, I wish to honor and pay respect to both
Kachruji and Yamunaji for their contribution to South Asian
linguistics and for leading the way in new scholarship.

     I have fond memories of Yamunaji’s feeding me Marathi Sabudana-
Khichadi with sisterly love.  May both find peace for eternity.