Invitation to participate: Cross-cultural research on emotion

Tej Krishan Bhatia tkbhatia at SYR.EDU
Wed Jul 18 13:25:42 UTC 2018

"VYAKARAN at LISTSERV.SYR.EDU" <VYAKARAN at LISTSERV.SYR.EDU> on behalf of Tej Krishan Bhatia <tkbhatia at syr.edu>

VYAKARAN: South Asian Languages and Linguistics Net Editors: Tej K. Bhatia, Syracuse University, New York John Peterson, University of Osnabrueck, Germany Details: Send email to listserv at listserv.syr.edu<mailto:listserv at listserv.syr.edu> and say: INFO VYAKARANSubscribe:Send email to listserv at listserv.syr.edu<mailto:listserv at listserv.syr.edu> and say: SUBSCRIBE VYAKARAN FIRST_NAME LAST_NAME (Substitute your real name for first_name last_name) Archives: http://listserv.syr.edu

Dear all,

I am doing a PhD in Applied Linguistics at Birkbeck University of London under Prof. Jean-Marc Dewaele’s and Prof. Li Wei’s supervision. I am investigating cross-linguistic and cross-cultural emotion perception, focussing on how the feelings of a Chinese speakers are understood by native, nonnative, and ’non-speakers’ of Mandarin. I need participants with different linguistics and cultural backgrounds: absolutely anyone can participate!

Would it be possible to spread my survey among your network (colleagues, students, friends, …)? Participants will hear and/or see a Chinese speaker in 12 recordings and will have to indicate how they think that he is feeling in each recording.

The survey exists in either English or Chinese:

English: http://survey2.sl-services.be/index.php/321522?lang=en
Simplified Chinese: http://survey2.sl-services.be/index.php/321522?lang=zh-Hans
Traditional Chinese: http://survey2.sl-services.be/index.php/321522?lang=zh-Hant-HK

Being able to interpret the emotional state of one’s interlocutor is crucial to interpret his/her message. This research project might have valuable implications for Chinese language teaching, but also in other domain such as business, education, conflict resolution, etc.

Please find attach the official call for participants (in both English and Chinese) if you want to disseminate it. The questionnaire will be online until the 15th of July (possibly with an extension of a few days/weeks in case I cannot find enough participants by July).

Many thanks in advance for your reply, which, I hope, will be positive.

Kind regards,

Pernelle Lorette
--
Pernelle Lorette