World Wide Words -- 24 Aug 02

Michael Quinion DoNotUse at WORLDWIDEWORDS.ORG
Fri Aug 23 12:35:41 UTC 2002

WORLD WIDE WORDS         ISSUE 304          Saturday 24 August 2002
Sent each Saturday to 15,000+ subscribers in at least 119 countries
<http://www.worldwidewords.org>      <TheEditor at worldwidewords.org>
 IF YOU RESPOND TO THIS MAILING, REMEMBER TO CHANGE THE OUTGOING
   ADDRESS TO ONE OF THOSE IN THE 'CONTACT ADDRESSES' SECTION.

2. Turns of Phrase: Palermo scale.
3. Weird Words: Will-o'-the-wisp.
4. Q&A: Happy as a sandboy; Shank's mare; Zilch.
5. Endnote.
   World Wide Words Frequently Asked Questions.

MISTAKE OF THE WEEK  This is clearly becoming a regular feature. I
misplaced the tilde on "mañana" in the Endnote section last week.
My thanks to the dozens of subscribers who took time out to tell
me about it.

FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS  This has previously been sent out as a
separate mailing about every three months. I am experimenting with
adding it to the end of a newsletter instead. The FAQ contains more
detailed information than the usual note at the end of newsletters
can provide. For example, it tells you how to temporarily suspend
mailings if you are away. Please read it, as it will help to reduce
unnecessary housekeeping messages to me. You may like to keep it
for future reference.

2. Turns of Phrase: Palermo scale
If you were paying close attention recently, you may have heard a
report flash past that the Earth was going to be hit by an asteroid
named 2002 NT7 on 1 February 2019. Within days, this had been put
back to possibly sometime in 2060, or possibly never. The orbits of
newly-discovered asteroids need time to be worked out in detail,
but the press latched on to early reports without waiting for more
accurate later figures.

For some years, there has been a rating scheme, the Torino scale,
that estimates the risk of a body like this knocking us back into
the Stone Age: it runs from 0 (no risk) to 10 (global catastrophe).
That isn't helpful for the great mass of asteroids, for whom the
Torino figure is zero, but for which there may be risk of impact.
So astronomers have just invented the Palermo scale, a more complex
and subtle measure, which rates the impact risk of a cosmic body
against the average risk of an impact by a body of the same size
over a long period of time.

Unfortunately, it gives newspapers yet another incomprehensible
number to quote, especially as it can become negative, somehow
implying a less than zero chance of impact. Values less than -2
reflect events for which there are no likely consequences; values
between -2 and 0 indicate situations that merit careful monitoring.
Positive values suggest that some level of concern is merited.

"2002 CU11 has been rated as less threatening than the general, or
background, risk of any other impact; as of last week, it had a
value of minus 1.28 on the Palermo scale."
                                 ["Dallas Morning News", Apr. 2002]

"That gave 2002 NT7 the highest ever score on the Palermo scale, a
rating system developed to help astronomers categorise impact
risks."
                                       ["New Scientist", Aug. 2002]

3. Weird Words: Will-o'-the-wisp
A phosphorescent light seen at night on marshy ground.

To see faint lights hovering and slipping about near the ground on
a dark night would be enough to scare anybody travelling through a
marsh. No wonder the sightings gave rise to superstitious beliefs
everywhere that they have appeared. There are many words for them,
including the old sense of "jack-o'-lantern" and the learned Latin
"ignis fatuus", the foolish fire. Attempts to approach the lights
result in them seeming to recede or vanish, sometimes to appear
somewhere else. So people thought they were the work of a
mischievous sprite trying to lead unwary travellers astray. That is
why there are personal names involved - Will and Jack. "Will-o'-
the-wisp" was originally "Will with the wisp", "wisp" here meaning
a handful of hay, presumed to be alight. We know now that the
flames are methane (marsh gas), ignited by the traces of hydrogen
phosphide sometimes found near decaying organic matter. Both "will-
o'-the-wisp" and "ignis fatuus" are used figuratively for some
false idea or influence that leads people astray.

4. Q&A
Q. Our family recently discussed the expression "happy as a
sandboy", and wondered where and how it originated. My dictionary
informs me that a sandboy is a kind of flea - but why a boy, and
why is it happy? [Niki Wessels, South Africa; a related question
came from Robert Metcalf in Singapore.]

A. Let me add an explanatory note to your question, as American
readers have probably never heard this saying. It is mostly known
in Britain and the Commonwealth, though it is not so common these
days even in those countries. The first examples we know about are
from London at the beginning of the nineteenth century. Another
form current at the time was "as jolly as a sandboy". Both are
proverbial sayings that suggest a carefree and untroubled state of
mind.

None of my reference works hint at a connection with fleas (sand
fleas exist, of course, but they hardly seem relevant). However, a
writer in "Notes & Queries" in 1866, answering much the same
query as yours, comments that: "Sandboy is the vulgar name of a
small insect which may be found in the loose sand so common on the
seashore. This insect hops and leaps in a manner strongly
suggestive of jollity, and hence I imagine the simile arises". So
your dictionary is part-right: it was once a colloquial or dialect
word for a sandfly.

The usual explanation is mundane in the extreme: sandboys sold
sand. The word "boy" here was a common term for a male worker of
lower class (as in "bellboy", "cowboy", and "stableboy"), which
comes from an old sense of a servant. It doesn't imply the sellers
were necessarily young, though one early description does mention
urchins doing the selling. There's no link, by the way, with the
"sandman", the personification of sleep, which came into English
several decades later in translations of Hans Christian Andersen's
stories.

The selling of sand wasn't such a peculiar occupation as you might
think, as there was once quite a need for it. It was used to scour
pans and tools and was sprinkled on floors. By the time that Henry
Mayhew wrote about it in his "London Labour and the London Poor" in
1861 he had to say that "The trade is inconsiderable to what it
was, saw-dust having greatly superseded it in the gin-palace, the
tap-room, and the butcher's shop". The sand was dug out from pits
on Hampstead Heath and taken down in horse-drawn carts to be hawked
through the streets. Early records also supply an image of sandboys
selling their wares from panniers carried on donkeys.

The job was hard work and badly paid. Mayhew records these comments
from one of the excavators on Hampstead Heath: "My men work very
hard for their money, sir; they are up at 3 o'clock of the morning,
and are knocking about the streets, perhaps till 5 or 6 o'clock in
the evening".

Their prime characteristic, it seems, was an inexhaustible desire
for beer. Charles Dickens referred to the saying, already by then
proverbial, in "The Old Curiosity Shop" in 1841: "The Jolly
Sandboys was a small road-side inn of pretty ancient date, with a
sign, representing three Sandboys increasing their jollity with as
many jugs of ale". A writer in Appleton's Journal in the USA in
1872 remarked that the saying presumably arose because "as sand-
boys follow a very dry and dusty trade, they are traditionally
believed to require a great deal of liquor to moisten their clay".

Quite so. But I suspect that the long hours and hard work involved
in carrying and shovelling sand, plus the poor returns, meant that
sandboys didn't have much cause to look happy in the normal run of
things, improving only when they'd had a pint or two, when they
became tipsily cheerful. My guess is that at first the saying was
meant ironically. Only when the trade of sandboy had died out
around the middle of the century could it be taken as a figurative
reference to happiness. Certainly, to judge from the answers to the
question in "Notes & Queries" in 1866, even by then its origin
was unknown.

                        -----------

Q. "Shank's mare": I'm intrigued by this term for walking. However,
my reference books, and a cursory AOL internet search, provide
scant information on its derivation. I know you'll be much better
informed. [Barry Nordin; related questions came from Anne Cox, Nick
Carrington, and William Hale]

A. I am better informed, but it took more work than I expected, as
it isn't in some of my standard references.

It's Scottish, dating from the eighteenth century. There was a
verb, "to shank" or "to shank it", meaning to go on foot. This is
from standard English "shank" for the part of the leg from the knee
to the ankle, which comes from Old English "sceanca", the leg bone.
This verb developed into "shank's naig" or "shank's naigie" (where
the second words are local forms of "nag", a horse) and later into
"shank's mare". It was a wry joke: I haven't got a horse of my own
for the journey, so I'll use Shank's mare to get there, meaning
I'll go on my own two feet. This supposed link with a person called
Shank explains why the first word is often capitalised.

Another form, now more common in Britain, is "shank's pony".

                        -----------

Q. My source books give me a totally unsatisfactory background on
the word "zilch". (Please note I resisted saying the books gave me
zilch on zilch.) Can you help? [Bill Penn]

A. There goes a chance for a pun. Spoilsport ...

You're right that dictionaries are almost uniformly cautious about
the origin of this word, which means "nothing; zero". It appears
first in print in the mid 1960s (the first example in the big
"Oxford English Dictionary" is from a slang collection at the
University of South Dakota dated Winter 1966).

Some reference books suggest the "Ballyhoo" humour magazine, first
published in 1931, was a possible source. This had as one of its
characters a Mr Zilch (actually there were several of them: the
front page of the first issue advertised "President Henry P. Zilch.
Chairman of the Board Charles D. Zilch. Treasurer Otto Zilch"). The
character was not actually pictured in cartoons in the magazine,
but was obviously present, so he was "the little man who wasn't
there".

This name may have come from college slang of the 1920s, in which
Joe Zilsch was the archetypal average student - the average Joe, in
fact, marching in the same column as Joe Blow, Joe Doakes and the
more recent Joe Sixpack. That sense is still around and sometimes
used in the same way as John Doe, to refer to an individual who is
otherwise unidentified. In the 1920s, however, Joe Zilsch could
also be an insignificant person or (in modern terms) a loser. The
spelling suggests a European origin (and "Zilsch" is a real German
surname of Slavic origin). The name was probably borrowed with
"zero" and "nil" in the back of the creator's mind.

But the years between the 1930s and the 1960s are a complete blank
as far as the development of the word is concerned, so we have no
way of confirming that this is the source. Indeed, the long gap
might be indirect evidence that it isn't. Alas, etymology is not an
exact science, so this is yet another occasion on which I just have
to say "Origin unknown."

5. Endnote
"The English-speaking world may be divided into (1) those who
neither know nor care what a split infinitive is; (2) those who do
not know, but care very much; (3) those who know and condemn; (4)
those who know and distinguish. Those who neither know nor care are
the vast majority, and are a happy folk, to be envied by most of
the minority classes." [H W Fowler, "Modern English Usage" (1926)]

3. Back issues of the newsletter.
4. Things you can do to help.
5. Acknowledgements.

1. Contact addresses
--------------------
If you want to respond to something in a newsletter, ask a question
for the Q&A section, or otherwise contact Michael Quinion, please
send it to one of the following addresses:

* COMMENTS on newsletter mailings are always welcome. They should
  be sent to <TheEditor at worldwidewords.org>.

* QUESTIONS intended to be answered in the Q&A section should be
  addressed to <QandA at worldwidewords.org>. (However, comments on
  published Q&A pieces should go to the comments address.)

* PROBLEMS with subscriptions that cannot be handled by the list
  server should go to <MailSubs at worldwidewords.org>.

Messages may also be sent using the online comments form, which is
at <http://www.worldwidewords.org/contacts.htm>.

Do not use the address that appears when you hit 'Reply:' on any
newsletter mailing, or your message will be sent to an electronic
dead-letter office. Either create a new message, or change the
outgoing 'To:' address to one of those above.

(I've set things up this way so I can filter out all the nuisance
messages that come back after every newsletter mailing, such as
those from people who are temporarily away: see Section 4.)

2. Subscription commands
in the body of the message (the subject line will be ignored). Do
not put any other text in the body of the message. If this is
impossible (say because your ISP includes advertising banners you
cannot delete), add several blank lines after your command by
pressing the ENTER key. Turn off your signature if you can.

* To leave the list, send:
     SIGNOFF WORLDWIDEWORDS

* To subscribe, send:
     SUBSCRIBE WORLDWIDEWORDS Your-first-name Your-last-name

* To obtain a list of commands, send:
     INFO WORLDWIDEWORDS

* To suspend receipt of newsletters, send:
     SET WORLDWIDEWORDS NOMAIL

* When you are want to receive newsletters again, send:
     SET WORLDWIDEWORDS MAIL

* To change your subscription address, send:
     CHANGE WORLDWIDEWORDS newaddr

  from your current address, replacing 'newaddr' with your new
  e-mail address. If you no longer have the old account, you
  will not be able to use the CHANGE command. In that case,
  SUBSCRIBE from the new address as above. Then e-mail Michael
  Quinion on <MailSubs at worldwidewords.org> and ask for the old
  address to be deleted.

3. Back issues of the newsletter
--------------------------------
Back issues of the newsletter are available from 7 March 1997. The
newsletters are usually sent weekly, but there are some holiday
gaps. The best way of getting them is to visit

  <http://www.worldwidewords.org/backissues.htm>,

where they are archived in monthly sets.

Issues after from the beginning of 1999 are also available in plain
text form from the list archive at

  <http://listserv.linguistlist.org/archives/worldwidewords.html>

This is the better address if you want to get a copy of a very
recent mailing, as the World Wide Words archive is updated a month
in arrears. This archive is also searchable.

4. Things you can do to help
----------------------------
* Please read and remember these instructions! You might not
  believe how many people don't ...

* If you use an out-of-office auto-reply feature on your mailer,
  set it to ignore LISTSERV messages if it has that capability.
  Every time a newsletter goes out I get more than a hundred OOO
  replies that contribute nothing to the quality of life.

* Please try to manage your subscription yourself. If there is a
  problem, I'm always happy to help, but routine housekeeping
  takes up a lot of time that could be better spent.

* Please do not send attachments with messages: they will be
  deleted unopened and unread as a precaution against viruses.

* Plain text messages are smaller and easier to read than those
  with HTML formatting. Please turn off the HTML formatting of
  outgoing messages if you know how.

* Please avoid quoting the whole of the newsletter text in any
  reply. I get megabytes of e-mail every week, more than half of
  which is my own stuff returned. If you can, please turn off the
  mailer feature that automatically adds the incoming message to
  your outgoing one. And then edit down the text to just the bit
  that is relevant to your reply.

5. Acknowledgements
World Wide Words is more than grateful to the LINGUIST LIST, which
hosts the newsletter on its LISTSERV system free of charge. And
each week the newsletter is read in draft by volunteer copy editor
Julane Marx. Errors that survive are, of course, Michael Quinion's
responsibility, not least because he has a habit of changing things
after she has reviewed the text!

World Wide Words is copyright (c) Michael Quinion 2002.  All rights
reserved. The Words Web site is at <http://www.worldwidewords.org>.
You may reproduce this newsletter in whole or in part in other free
media online provided that you include this note and the copyright
notice above. Reproduction in print media or on Web sites requires
prior permission: contact <TheEditor at worldwidewords.org>.