World Wide Words -- 26 Jul 08

Fri Jul 25 08:51:06 UTC 2008

WORLD WIDE WORDS            ISSUE 597         Saturday 26 July 2008
Sent each Saturday to at least 50,000 subscribers by e-mail and RSS
http://www.worldwidewords.org       US advisory editor: Julane Marx

       A formatted version of this newsletter is available
       online at http://www.worldwidewords.org/nl/qqbg.htm

       The newsletter is best viewed in a fixed-pitch font.

CHEQUERED  In last week's piece, I mentioned "exchequer", a table
covered with a cloth divided into squares on which the accounts of
the revenue were kept by means of counters. Dvora Yanow e-mailed
from Amsterdam to ask if this was the origin of "counter" for the
serving position in a shop. It is. The word was at first anything
used in keeping count or accounts, such as tokens; later - in the
fifteenth century - it became a table or desk on which accounts
were kept; two centuries later still it began to be used for a
money-changer's table and also for a table in a shop where the
money for goods was paid over.

LAWS  Following up comments in this section last week about the Law
of Prescriptive Retaliation and McKean's Law, several readers told
me about Muphry's Law, which is pretty much identical. One way of
putting it is this: "if you write anything criticising editing or
proofreading, there will be a fault of some kind in what you have
written." Wikipedia says that it is attributed to John Bangsund of
the Victorian Society of Editors in Australia. A classic example
appeared in the Freakonomics blog on the New York Times site on 8
July, in which Stephen J Dubner accused The Economist of making a
mistake when it referred to Cornish pasties, assuming this was an
error for "pastries". Lots of people put him right, including the
editors of The Economist, who sent him a genuine Cornish pasty.

2. Weird Words: Pharology  /fe:'rQl at dZi/
The scientific study of lighthouses and signal lights.

"Pharology" is first recorded in 1847 in the Transactions of the
Royal Society of Arts of London. The author of the paper noted that
it had been "first introduced by the late Mr Purdy". This otherwise
unsung gentleman must have had in mind the famous lighthouse, one
of the seven wonders of the ancient world, that was erected around
280BC on the island of Pharos, off the coast of Alexandria.

The word is well known among those whose hobbyist or professional
interest lies in studying or looking after lighthouses. Now that
all British lights are automated, and the job of lighthouse keeper
no longer exists, you might think that pharologists have less to
interest them. Not so. Many of the lights are in remote locations
that required great determination, skill and endurance to construct
them and special qualities in the men isolated on them for a month
at a time. In Britain, the Association of Lighthouse Keepers helps
keep knowledge of them alive.

A rare appearance in literature is in E Annie Proulx's The Shipping
News of 1993: "Pharology. Science of lighthouses and signal lights.
Dawn knows elevations and candlepower, stuff about flashes and
blinks and buoys. Bore you silly with it."

3. Recently noted
#@%$?*!  Dave Aton pointed out an interesting word, which he found
on the Ask section of typography.com. It's the name given to those
strings of random non-alphabetical characters that cartoonists use
in speech bubbles to indicate profanity. They call them grawlixes.
The word was the creation of the cartoonist Mort Walker. He first
used it in 1964 in an article he wrote for the National Cartoonists
Society in the US and which he then included in his 1980 book The
Lexicon of Comicana, a satire on the comic devices that cartoonists
use but which ironically became a textbook for art students. Other
terms he invented for various comic-artist graphical conventions
include waftarom, squean, spurl, neoflect, plewd, vite, dite, hite,
direct-a-tron (and throwatron, sailatron, staggeratron, swishatron
...), jigg, briffit, solrad, whiteope, indotherm, crottle eyed,
neoflect, and three other ways to indicate maladicta - jarn, quimp,
and nittle. And no, I'm not going to define any of them, not least
because you can really only do it by illustrating them, as Walker
did. Buy his book if you're interested - it's still in print.

SUFFIXIFICATION  "I had to vent my disgust," wrote Garth Summers,
"at the dreadful word 'additionalize' that I heard on a BBC radio
documentary. It was used there in the context of adding different
elements to achieve different results. Why not just 'add'?" There
is a subtle difference of meaning intended, I would guess, but too
small to be worth the effort of all those extra suffixes. My own
candidate for any linguistical additionalising prize that might be
on offer would be the polysyllabic monstrosity "evolutionising"
("We're evolutionizing the textbook model by offering full-text and
chapter-by-chapter sales with enhanced content, any time of the day
or week" - Business Week, February 2005). There are, I find to my
mild surprise, examples going back at least as far as an article in
the Los Angeles Times dated March 1920 ("Picture theaters seem to
be gradually evolutionizing into a sort of screen vaudeville show
house").

4. Q&A: Faffing
Q. What's the origin of "faffing" which means to aimlessly waste
time doing useless tasks? [Raymond Wargo, Vancouver]

A. It's originally British, informal but not rude, and moderately
common, especially in the form "to faff about". The Daily Telegraph
included this on 15 March 2008: "The early boarders certainly bag
their seats quickly, but then they immediately relax and happily
faff about putting their things in the overhead locker, generally
getting in the way of the other passengers."

It can be used as a politer alternative to another four-letter word
beginning with "f" but has no link with it. It starts to appear as
a dialect word in Scotland and Northern England at the end of the
eighteenth century, as a description of the wind blowing in puffs
or small gusts. A North Yorkshire glossary of 1868 described how it
was used: "As when a person blows chaff away from corn held in his
hands, or the wind when it causes brief puffs of smoke to return
down the chimney."

It may have been imitative of the sound of gusty wind, or it may be
a variation on "maffle", a more widely distributed dialect term in
Scotland and England that means to stutter or stammer, or to waste
time and procrastinate; this might be from the old Dutch regional
word "maffelen", meaning to move the jaws. There's also "faffle",
another dialect word, which also means to stammer or stutter, and
which might have influenced the sense.

The word started to move into the wider language around the end of
the nineteenth century in its modern sense, though it didn't much
appear in print until the 1980s.

5. Q&A: Hoodwink
Q. I know what "to hoodwink" means, but cannot imagine how it came
about. There seems no connection between its meaning and the
individual words it is made up from. [Frank Danielzik, Germany]

A. The original sense of "hoodwink" was to prevent somebody seeing
by covering their head with a hood or blindfolding them. Our main
sense now is a figurative one derived from it, to deceive or trick
(as we might also say, to pull the wool over someone's eyes), which
appeared in the early seventeenth century.

There's no problem with the first part, but "wink" here isn't in
the sense we use now of closing and opening one eye quickly as a
signal of some sort. When it first appeared, in Old English in the
form "wincian", it meant to close both eyes for some reason, or to
blink, or close the eyes in sleep (hence "forty winks"). A hoodwink
forcibly lost somebody the power of sight as though they had closed
their eyes. And "hoodwink" was long ago an alternative name for
blind man's buff.

When we say that somebody winks at some offence, meaning that they
connive at it, we're also using a relic of the same sense. And long
before "wink" became a flicker of one eyelid it meant a significant
glance instead. If you find something written before the nineteenth
century that says one person winked at another, a glance is what's
meant - both indicate that the person is sending a message, but the
method is slightly different. Today's meaning first appears in The
Pickwick Papers by Charles Dickens, 1837: "Mr. Weller communicated
this secret with great glee, and winked so indefatigably after
doing so, that Sam began to think he must have got the 'tic
doloureux' in his right eyelid."

Another Eden? Barry Prince, a retired journalist in Auckland, New
Zealand, sent through a e-mail he'd received on Friday promoting
BBC World. A blurb about a forthcoming programme on Michelangelo's
Sistine Chapel explains "This programme explores some of the main
challenges he faced by recruiting two modern fresco artists, Fleur
Kelly and Leo Stevenson, to produce their own version of the iconic
scene where God creates Adam at a church in London."

"A notice was posted at the local Shoppers Drug Mart," Vin Murph e-
mailed from Canada. "'Shopping carts are no longer allowed to leave
the store.' Are they being punished for bad behaviour?"

Ann Jones was looking at the Web site of the Solomon Star, based in
the Solomon Islands. An item quoted the New Zealand Foreign Affairs
Minister Winston Peters, commenting on his country's sanctions of
the islands: "You don't have a coup, change a government at the
barrel of a gnu and it comes without a cost." A wonderful image.

This newsletter is also available as an RSS feed. For the details,
visit http://www.worldwidewords.org/rss/newsletter.xml .

* Comments on newsletter mailings are always welcome. They should
  Submissions will not usually be acknowledged.
* Questions intended to be answered in the Q&A section should be
  addressed to wordsquestions at worldwidewords.org (please don't
  me with simple subscription changes.

The World Wide Words newsletter and Web site are free, but if you

the copyright notice above. Reproduction in printed publications or
on Web sites or blogs needs prior permission, for which you should
contact the editor at wordseditor at worldwidewords.org .