World Wide Words -- 07 Mar 09

Fri Mar 6 15:50:27 UTC 2009

WORLD WIDE WORDS           ISSUE 629          Saturday 7 March 2009
Sent each Saturday to at least 50,000 subscribers by e-mail and RSS
http://www.worldwidewords.org       US advisory editor: Julane Marx
            matters unless you are having problems.

       This newsletter is best viewed in a fixed-pitch font.

MELD  It's been a quiet week for comments, with the most common one
being slight surprise that in discussing one sense of "meld", I
should have omitted to include Mr Spock's Vulcan mind meld from
Star Trek. It would have been a relevant reference, since "mind
meld" appeared in a programme from the first season, broadcast in
November 1966, whereas the noun is recorded in the Oxford English
Dictionary only from 1973.

UPDATES Jan Freeman, who writes the Sunday Word column in the
Boston Globe, has pointed out an appearance of "carrot and stick"
in a letter of 1938 by Sir Winston Churchill, which changes the
conclusions to my piece last month about the idiom. So it has, yet
again, been updated (http://wwwords.org?CRST). Robert Geuljans
spotted an error in the piece on "antimacassar"; having corrected
it, I've taken the opportunity to update the whole piece
(http://wwwords.org?ATMR).

LSOFT CONTEST  We got put in our place last month: second, after
the ICORS list, which consists of a large number of determined
people. If we're to have a chance of winning the overall contest,
we must come top in this final month. I urge every one of you to
vote every day during March - don't wait for my weekly reminder.
You have one vote from each IP address each day. The link to the
voting form is http://wwwords.org?LCAS. One last heave, please!

2. Topical Words: Cricket
Two academics claimed this week that the archetypal English game of
cricket is really Flemish not - as traditionally believed - based
on English children's games that date from Anglo-Saxon times. As
the Ashes test matches between Australia and England will be played
this summer in England, this challenge to England's claim to be the
homeland of cricket has provoked much uncritical newspaper comment
in cricket-playing nations.

Paul Campbell, in the department of English and theatre at the
Australian National University in Canberra, and the German linguist
Heiner Gillmeister, professor in the department of English at the
University of Bonn, claim to have discovered an Elizabethan poem
that proves the matter.

Press reports in varying detail say that Mr Campbell uncovered a
poem by the sixteenth-century poet and playwright John Skelton,
dated 1533 and entitled The Images of Ipocrisie (we would spell
this last word "hypocrisy") which includes these four lines:

    O lorde of ipocrites,
    Nowe shut vpp your wickettes,
    And clape to your clickettes, --
    A farewell, kinge of crekettes!

Combining various incomplete newspaper reports, it appears that Mr
Campbell is arguing that the poem shows the game of cricket was
imported from the Low Countries by Flemish weavers, who settled in
parts of the south-east of England and played it on fields close to
where they tended their sheep, using shepherd's crooks - or curved
sticks - as bats to strike a ball.

There are several insuperable objections to this extraordinary
theory. The poem is hardly unknown: it has been included in at
least three collections of Skelton's works I know about. Though its
date is accepted, Skelton can't have written it, as he died in
1529, and it must have been penned by another poet in Skelton's
style. The four lines were misquoted in all the reports they
appeared in - in particular, in the last line "kinge" appears as
"kings", a subtle but significant error, since Campbell argues that
this stanza is a call by Skelton for all these cricket-playing
Flemish immigrants to leave the country. But the major problem is
that the poem is a long diatribe, composed of satire and bitter
invective, against the hypocrisy of every level of churchman - the
Pope, cardinals, bishops, monks, friars, down to churchwardens and
bell-ringers - and contains no reference to weavers or of their
bringing cricket to England. Something very odd is going on here,
which I hope for the reputations of the academics is the result of
press misunderstandings.

The quoted lines don't support a reference to cricket. The word
"clickettes" that ends the third line was a common way at the time
in which to write "clickets", the plural of an obsolete word for
the latch of a gate or door. That suggests that "wickettes" at the
end of the previous line is the modern "wickets" for small gates or
doors, often within larger ones, not the cricket type of wickets,
which aren't recorded before the eighteenth century. "Clape to"
meant to slam a door. The poet is saying, in essence, "go away and
shut the door firmly behind you". This pulls the rug out from under
the suggestion that the final word in the stanza, "crekettes",
means the game of cricket. The lines are in a part of the poem that
castigates the Pope in powerful terms as a liar and "the devil's
vicar" as well as "lord of hypocrites" (in the first line of the
stanza); how the Pope might in addition be excoriated as a king of
cricket is hard to imagine. It could be the other sort of cricket,
of course, for which "crekette" is a known contemporary spelling,
and the poet might be saying that the Pope is a noisy chattering
insect.

The first known reference to the game of cricket that we have at
the moment is from a court case in Guildford in Surrey in 1598, in
which a local man swore that as a child, fifty years before, he had
played "creckett" and other games on a disputed piece of land. The
similarity of that word with the one in the poem is intriguing, but
hardly firm evidence of anything.

Lacking the supposed evidence from the poem, the link with Flemish
rests on a comment from Professor Gillmister, who is quoted as
saying, "I immediately thought of the Flemish phrase 'met de krik
ketsen' which means to 'chase a ball with a curved stick'." This
might, of course, be a description of any number of games, from
hockey to golf, though cricket was indeed initially played with a
curved bat. Professor Gillmister's suggestion is not new, since a
link with "krik" has been suggested before and is mentioned in the
entry in the Oxford English Dictionary. But no firm evidence exists
for it, let alone for importation of the game to England by Flemish
settlers.

There still isn't.

3. Weird Words: Carwichet  /'kA(r)wItSIt/
A pun; a hoaxing question or conundrum.

This pops up first in Ben Jonson's play Bartholomew Fayre of 1614
and appears a few times afterwards, but is effectively extinct by
the middle of the nineteenth century.

    Notwithstanding the advantage which this age claims over
    the last we find Mr. Dryden himself, as well as Mr.
    Jonson, not only given to Clinches, but sometimes a
    Carwichet, a Quarter-quibble, or a bare Pun.
    [London Magazine, August 1824. The writer is paraphrasing
    a line in John Dryden's comedy The Wild Gallant of 1662
    in which these forms are given as examples of dubious
    wit. A clinch was a type of sharp repartee or word-play;
    a quarter-quibble was a poor or weak quibble, a quibble
    at the time being a pun or a play on words. Dryden's use
    of "pun" was among the earliest in the language.]

The origin of "carwichet" is obscure, though it has been suggested
that it comes from "colifichet", a French word of the time for a
fantastic small object of no great value, but which now means any
knick-knack or trinket (it's said to be from the older French word
"coeffichier", an ornament that was fixed to and formed part of
one's coiffure).

4. Q&A: Importantly
Q. I just subscribed and am delighted by the site. The epidemic of
"importantly", with or without "most' or "more" has bothered me for
some time. It has been well over 70 years since I studied grammar
here in New York City, so forgive me if I err in terminology. Is
"importantly" a real word; can something be termed as such? It
seems that you haven't used the term since 2007. If so, I am happy
for your recovery and, more important, I look forward to your
newsletters. [Jerry Miller]

A. Thank you. But the cessation of "importantly" is both temporary
and unpremeditated. No doubt I shall use it again sometime soon.

"Importantly" is a real word all right. It entered the language in
the early seventeenth century (the first recorded user is our good
friend William Shakespeare, in Cymbeline, 1611) and has long since
become standard in the meaning "in an important manner". To take
one example out of about a million pretty much at random:

    "It certainly does need a chimney," said John
    importantly.
    [Peter Pan, by J M Barrie, 1904.]

The big change in the way it's used has been more recent than your
studies of grammar. From the 1930s, some adverbs have increasingly
been used at or near the start of a sentence to modify the whole of
the sentence that follows. These are called sentence adverbs and
have been heavily criticised in the past - the case of "hopefully"
is notorious. "Importantly" appears six times on the World Wide
Words site, always as part of a sentence adverb, which is perhaps
why you were particularly struck and dismayed by it.

As "importantly" used in this way became more popular, people came
almost exclusively to put "more" or "most" in front, which is the
way it remains:

    More importantly, they require hard currency from
    customers flowing into their corporate bank accounts.
    [Daily Telegraph, 15 Dec. 2008.]

Objections to sentence adverbs have now largely subsided. In the
third edition of Fowler's Modern English Usage, dated 1996, Robert
Burchfield says of "more importantly" and "most importantly" that
both "must now be considered standard and useful additions to the
language". Even Bryan Garner, usually a conservative in matters of
style, says in his Modern American Usage that writers need not fear
criticism in employing them and that if any is made, "it's easily
dismissed as picayunish pedantry", though you shouldn't take that
dollop of clever wordsmithery personally.

However, we remain allowed to wince at examples like this:

    More importantly to McBride is this afternoon´s
    Premiership game at home to Bangor.
    [Belfast Telegraph, 23 January 2009. "Importantly" should
    be "important", because the word in that position has to
    be an adjective, not an adverb.]

Victor Dewsbery e-mailed from Berlin, having encountered a comment
on the BBC's online football pages by the Middlesborough manager
Gareth Southgate: "This win should give the players an unbelievable
amount of belief." It made Mr Dewsbery wonder how much belief is
actually believable.

"My somewhat overweight banker called me to recommend an investment
with a relatively low guaranteed interest rate," reports Bram Amsel
from Antwerp in the Netherlands, "claiming that interest rates on
bank accounts were dropping gastronomically."

Bill Waggoner commented sadly "I guess guys are completely obsolete
now". He had just read a bullet point on a Web page of the British
National Gamete Donation Trust: "Sperm donors should be healthy
women between the age of 18 and 45 years." All lovers of splendid
inaccuracies must regret that it has since been corrected.

This newsletter is also available as an RSS feed. For the details,
visit http://www.worldwidewords.org/rss/newsletter.xml .

* Comments on newsletter mailings are always welcome. They should
  Submissions will not usually be acknowledged.
* Questions intended to be answered in the Q&A section should be
  addressed to wordsquestions at worldwidewords.org (please don't
  me asking for simple subscription changes you can do yourself.

The World Wide Words newsletter and Web site are free, but if you

World Wide Words is copyright (c) Michael Quinion 2009. All rights
reserved. The Words Web site is at http://www.worldwidewords.org .
You may reproduce brief extracts from this newsletter in mailing
lists, newsletters or newsgroups online, provided that you include
the copyright notice given above. Reproduction of items in printed
publications or Web sites, including blogs, needs prior permission
from the editor (wordseditor at worldwidewords.org).