World Wide Words -- 09 May 09

Fri May 8 14:10:34 UTC 2009

WORLD WIDE WORDS            ISSUE 638           Saturday 9 May 2009
Sent each Saturday to at least 50,000 subscribers by e-mail and RSS
http://www.worldwidewords.org       US advisory editor: Julane Marx

     This e-magazine is best viewed in a fixed-pitch font.

FIASCO  Many subscribers asked if the curious history of this word
in English had any connection with the British slang term "bottle",
meaning courage. Though the story behind "bottle" is a bit obscure,
we're sure there's no link - for more, see my Topical Words piece
via http://wwwords.org?BTTL.

Nigel Ross added these footnotes: "Fiasco isn't really the usual
Italian translation of bottle, the standard word being 'bottiglia'.
'Fiasco' refers to a specific kind of bottle - the one typically
used for Chianti, rounded, with a long neck and covered with the
straw casing to give it a stand. A fiasco may also be its contents,
the wine. 'Far (un) fiasco' does mean 'to make a bottle', but also
'to do (a) bottleful'. I think some mention should be made of the
possible idea that the expression simply comes from having had 'one
over the eight', a condition in which you are likely to end up
making a fiasco."

Jane von Maltzahn pointed out that German uses its word for bottle,
"Flasche", in a related sense. "Er ist eine Flasche", means "he's a
failure". "Du Flasche!" means "you're useless!"

2. Weird Words: Phantasmagoria  /,fantazm@'gO:rI@/
In October 1801, a German showman named Paul Philipsthal placed an
advertisement to publicise an event at the Lyceum Theatre in the
Strand, London:

    The public are respectfully acquainted, that the
    PHANTASMAGORIA, or, Grand Cabinet of Optical and
    Mechanical Curiosities, exhibiting Magical Illusions, and
    various other wonderful Pieces of Art, will Open in this
    Place THIS DAY, October 5, and continue every Evening.
    [The Times, London, 5 October 1801.]

By moving a slide projector (then called a magic lantern) backwards
and forwards on rails, figures were made to increase and decrease
in size, advance and retreat, dissolve, vanish, and pass into each
other. Images were projected on a translucent screen between the
audience and the stage, so that they appeared to hang in the air.

A month after his spectacle opened Mr Philipsthal elaborated on it
by proclaiming that it would produce "the Phantoms or Apparitions
of the dead or absent" and that objects would "freely originate in
the air, and unfold themselves under various forms and sizes, such
as imagination alone has hitherto painted them". Much later, a
fuller description of the performance appeared:

    The head of Dr. Franklin was transformed into a scull;
    figures which retired with the freshness of life came
    back in the form of skeletons, and the retiring skeletons
    returned in the drapery of flesh and blood. The
    exhibition of these transmutations was followed by
    spectres, skeletons, and terrific figures; which, instead
    of receding and vanishing as before, suddenly advanced
    upon the spectators, becoming larger as they approached
    them, and finally vanished by appearing to sink into the
    ground.
    [Letters on Natural Magic, by David Brewster, 1831.]

Philipsthal's title for his show, Phantasmagoria, was a word he
borrowed from "fantasmagorie", by then used for some 20 years in
French-speaking Europe for similar exhibitions. This derived from
"fantasme", a phantasm, plus possibly the Greek "agora", a place of
assembly. But as the first edition of the Oxford English Dictionary
said, a little sniffily, promoters may have merely wanted "a mouth-
filling and startling term" and strict etymology be damned.

He was much bothered by imitators who quickly took advantage of his
success, despite his being granted a patent in February 1802, and
the popularity of the visual spectacle was so great that the term
soon became a generic one for this type of exhibition. It also
entered the language in the modern metaphorical sense of a sequence
of real or imaginary images like that seen in a dream.

[A sketch of Paul Philipsthal's phantasmagoric apparatus is to be
seen in the online version of this issue, which you will find at
http://www.worldwidewords.org/nl/pihq.htm.]

3. Q and A: Cute as a bug's ear
Q. I recently used the phrase "cute as a bug's ear" in reference to
my granddaughter. Some of my Chinese friends were confounded by the
phrase; as one pointed out, there is nothing particularly cute
about bugs or, presumably, their ears. I have heard this expression
all my life (I live in the US Midwest) but I have not been able to
find a satisfactory explanation of its origin. Can you help? [Scott
Harman]

A. Heavens to Betsy, another quaint American folk expression! It's
not at all surprising your Chinese friends found it odd.

Presumably working on the principle that the smaller the thing is
the cuter it will be, the idiom suggests its subject is the epitome
of cuteness. It means a person, especially a child, who is pretty
or attractive in a dainty way. Other than that, no good explanation
exists for the existence of the simile. I'm also reliably informed
that, entomologically speaking, the idiom is nonsense, since bugs
don't have ears.

It belongs with a huge set of such expressions, mostly but not all
American, which no doubt your Chinese friends would be equally
puzzled by: "cute as a bug in a rug", "cute as a button", "cute as
a weasel", "cute as a kitten", "cute as a (pet) fox", "cute as a
bunny", "cute as a speckled puppy", "cute as a kewpie doll", "cute
as a razor (nick)", "cute as a cupcake", as well as the deeply
deprecatory "cute as a washtub" (in Raymond Chandler's Farewell My
Lovely) and "cute as a shithouse rat" (in James Joyce's Ulysses).
Some of the older ones are using "cute" in its original sense of
clever, shrewd or quick-witted (the word dates from the eighteenth
century and is a shortened or aphetic form of "acute").

Here's the earliest example I can find of your version:

    "You are very cute, aren't you?" the traveler said
    sarcastically. "Widder Wheeler says I'm cute as a Bug's
    ear, and she knows."
    [The News (Frederick, Maryland), 21 Apr. 1900.]

Gallimaufry: A Hodgepodge of Our Vanishing Vocabulary
This, my most recent book, is now out in paperback in the US.

Gallimaufry is about words that are vanishing from everyday life
because we don't need them any more. Sometimes one is lost when the
thing it describes becomes obsolete: would you wear a billycock? It
may survive in a figurative sense though the original meaning is
lost: what was the first paraphernalia? Sometimes it gives way to a
more popular alternative: who still goes to the picture house to
watch the talkies? More than 1,200 vanishing and vanished words are
neatly packaged into 31 themes that range from cooking through card
games to unfashionable fashions and obscure occupations.

    BUY THE BOOK FROM AMAZON:
    Amazon US:      US$11.53    http://wwwords.org?G12Y
    Amazon UK:      GBP6.74     http://wwwords.org?G93Y
    Amazon Canada:  CDN$14.56   http://wwwords.org?G36Y
    Amazon Germany: EUR10,99    http://wwwords.org?G48Y

Gallimaufry: A Hodgepodge of Our Vanishing Vocabulary is published
by Oxford University Press. Hardcover: ISBN 0198610629; paperback:
ISBN 0199551022; pp272, including index.

4. Q and A: By the skin of one's teeth
Q. I was born and raised in Maine and still live there. Quite often
I hear the expression "by the skin of my teeth". We usually say it
when we have done something just in the nick or time or avoided
something by a very narrow margin. It doesn't make much sense and
is rather on the silly side. Does this have any special origin?
[Cindy Bean]

A. It does indeed: it's Biblical. It appeared first in the Geneva
Bible of 1560 and was copied in the King James Bible of 1611:

    Yea, young children despised me; I arose, and they spake
    against me. All my inward friends abhorred me: and they
    whom I loved are turned against me. My bone cleaveth to
    my skin and to my flesh, and I am escaped with the skin
    of my teeth.
    [Job, Chapter 19, verses 18-20, part of the lamentations
    of Job to God about his dreadful situation.]

The English phrase was a direct translation of the original Hebrew,
so it is very ancient indeed.

Since teeth don't have skin, the phrase is hard to make sense of;
Bible translators and commentators have struggled with it down the
centuries. The Douay-Rheims Bible has instead "My bone hath cleaved
to my skin, and nothing but lips are left about my teeth." Other
writers have suggested that the reference is to the gums. Modern
versions often imply that Job meant the same by it as we do today
by adopting our modern standard form with "by" in place of "with".
The World English Bible, for example, has "I have escaped by the
skin of my teeth".

Job's misfortunes at the hands of God and Satan were so great that
he could hardly have believed he had had much of an escape at all.
Was he saying that the only part of his body that hadn't suffered
the boils and sores inflicted by Satan was the skin of his lips or
gums? Was he instead saying allusively that his bodily afflictions
were so great that he had had a narrow escape from death? One
modern writer has concluded:

    The explanations for the last metaphor are multiple and
    unconvincing. Its meaning eludes us.
    [The Book of Job, by John Hartley, 1988.]

With such scholarly incomprehension, we can hardly blame English
speakers for possibly having misunderstood it. As usual with
idioms, we just have to accept that people mean by it what they
mean by it.

We know pigs are intelligent animals, but a headline in Tuesday's
Garden City Telegram of Kansas made Peter Casey wonder if too much
reliance was not being placed on this during the flu outbreak:
"Critics question self-inspection of pigs".

Ray Neinstein was surprised by a sentence he read on msn.com news
on Tuesday: "Proving the title of her new memoir, 'Resilience,' to
be accurate, Elizabeth Edwards sheds some highly personal insights
into her life, her health and her husband's infidelity with Oprah
Winfrey, in a TV interview to air on The Oprah Winfrey Show
Thursday."

A wanted ad from last week's Cleveland Plain Dealer came in from
Albert Paolino: "Rapidly expanding Steel Service Center wants an
assertive, bright flat-rolled salesperson to earn $50-$120K,
experience preferred."

Terry Karney found a headline in the Huffington Post on Wednesday,
over an article by Jane Fonda: "Adolescent Pregnancy Must Become a
Priority for All Americans." Form an orderly queue, chaps.

This e-magazine is also available as an RSS feed, which you can
read at http://www.worldwidewords.org/rss/newsletter.xml .

* Comments on e-magazine mailings are always welcome. They should
  Submissions will not usually be acknowledged.
* Questions intended to be answered in the Q and A section should
  be addressed to wordsquestions at worldwidewords.org (please don't
  me asking for simple subscription changes you can do yourself.

The World Wide Words e-magazine and Web site are free, but if you

World Wide Words is copyright (c) Michael Quinion 2009. All rights
reserved. The Words Web site is at http://www.worldwidewords.org .
You may reproduce brief extracts from this e-magazine in mailing
lists, newsletters or newsgroups online, provided that you include
the copyright notice given above. Reproduction of substantial parts
of items in printed publications or Web sites needs permission from
the editor beforehand (wordseditor at worldwidewords.org).