World Wide Words -- 30 May 09

Tue May 26 17:43:07 UTC 2009

WORLD WIDE WORDS            ISSUE 641          Saturday 30 May 2009
Sent each Saturday to at least 50,000 subscribers by e-mail and RSS
http://www.worldwidewords.org       US advisory editor: Julane Marx

      A formatted version of this e-magazine is available
      online at http://www.worldwidewords.org/nl/blds.htm

   To leave the list or change your subscribed email address,
     see Section A below or go to http://wwwords.org?SUBS.

     This e-magazine is best viewed in a fixed-pitch font.

HOLIDAYS  I'm away. By all means send your questions and Sic! items
as well as comments on the items in this issue, but don't expect to
get an answer until at least the middle of June. Net connections
permitting, I shall continue to post short issues while I'm away,
but the Web site will not be updated until 20 June.

2. Weird Words: Galimatias  /galI'matI at s/
The word means gibberish, meaningless talk, or nonsense. It appears
in English first in 1653 in Sir Francis Urquhart's translation of
the works of the French author François Rabelais: "A Galimatia of
extravagant conceits." Later writers have always put an "s" on the
end, though it's a singular:

    Mrs. Tramore stared, as if at a language she had never
    heard, a farrago, a galimatias.
    [The Chaperon, by Henry James, a short story published
    in his collection The Real Thing and Other Tales in
    1893.]

It is in French that we must look for any enlightenment about its
origins, since the word still exists in that language with the same
sense. The number of theories about its origin is dauntingly large,
however, strongly suggesting little firm information. We do know
that it's first recorded in that language in 1580 in a work by
Montaigne, but in the sense of an obscene song. For this reason,
the most common view of its origin is that it's from the low Latin
"ballematia", which had the same sense (old Italian had this last
word, too, but for songs or melodies in a dance style).

Some writers point to an even older French word, "gale", enjoyment,
which joined up with a verb meaning to eat too much to create the
noun "galimafrée" for an unappetising dish (English "gallimaufry",
a jumble or confused medley, is from the same source). It has also
been said "galimatias" was originally a disparaging slang term of
the sixteenth century for the disputations prescribed for doctoral
students at the University of Paris (from Latin "gallus", cockerel,
plus the Greek ending "-mathia", learning). Another writer has
suggested a link with a Provençal word for an imaginary country.
The experts now dismiss all of these out of hand.

The same word appears in Russian, presumably borrowed from French.

3. Recently noted
STORM IN A YOGURT POT  A reporter from the Daily Mail contacted me
on Monday, canvassing my views on how to spell "yogurt".

This turned out to be a follow-up to a letter in the current issue
of The Grocer, the UK magazine for food and drink retailers. The
letter came from Clare Cheney, director general of the Provision
Trade Federation, the trade body that represents food companies in
Britain, including importers. She suggested The Grocer should bring
itself up to date by leaving the "h" out, since its manufacturers
have now standardised on "yogurt".

At this point Americans may be puzzled, as they have for more than
a century spelled the word without an "h" and probably regard the
spelling "yoghurt" as a curious Britishism, let alone "yoghourt",
another once-common form. Both were based on the Turkish word they
come from. This is written as "yogurt" in modern Turkish but with a
hacek over the "g" to mark a guttural consonant that doesn't exist
in English. This was transliterated as "gh" when it appeared in
English in the early seventeenth century. Spellings with the "h"
were still usual when the product began to appear widely in Britain
in the 1960s. The Times wrote in April 1967: "Fruity yoghourt is
enjoying a market boom unparalleled by any other dairy product in
existence." Most Commonwealth countries still seem to prefer the
form with the "h", though Canadians have the hybrid "yogourt",
presumably under the influence of French.

The evidence from dictionaries, newspapers and books is that the
spelling "yogurt" has become the most common form in the UK but
that "yoghurt" is also still very much around ("yoghourt" is now
rare). Interestingly, even The Grocer uses "yogurt" a lot of the
time - a search of its Web site found 1376 examples of "yogurt" as
against 678 of "yoghurt" (none of "yoghourt").

Following Ms Cheney's letter, Food Manufacture, another magazine,
said it was going to standardise on "yogurt". It would seem that
"yoghurt" is threatened in its homeland.

The Daily Mail, I suspect, was hoping I would denounce the creeping
insidious influence of American English and argue that this was
another example of the individuality of our native tongue being
lost. Good heavens, no. I suggested, on the basis of a hunch rather
than firm evidence, that the change might not have been through
American influence at all, but an example of "spell-as-you-speak"
working on an unfamiliar word, which was presumably how Americans
came by their spelling.

4. Q and A: The Andrew
Q. Do you perhaps know the origin of the term "Andrew" for the
Royal Navy? [Andrew Jackson, London]

A. I don't. Nobody does, not for sure.

The story most commonly told is that the source is one Lieutenant
Andrew Millar. It's said he was in charge of a press-gang during
the Napoleonic Wars and that he was so zealous and pressed so many
men that sailors thought the Navy belonged to him. However, the
National Maritime Museum says that no such officer has been traced.
The nearest I've found from the Navy Lists, which is not very near,
is that a Dr Andrew Millar was the staff surgeon based at Plymouth
dockyard in 1848. We must presume Lieutenant Millar is imaginary.

On the other hand, "Andrew" was a sixteenth-century slang term for
a merchant ship. Shakespeare used it in The Merchant of Venice,
"And see my wealthy Andrew dockt". One story is that it was named
after the Genoese admiral Andrea Doria, whose name has been given
to two celebrated twentieth-century ships. There are no written
examples of the term after Shakespeare's time, which may suggest it
went out of use and can't be the source of the modern term. Or it
might have been lurking in the spoken language - we have no way of
knowing.

The expression "Andrew Millar" was well known in the nineteenth
century. It turns up in print here first:

    ANDREW MILLAR'S LUGGER, a king's ship or vessel.
    [A Vocabulary of the Flash Language, by James Hardy
    Vaux, July 1812. Vaux was then a transported criminal in
    New South Wales and wrote the work in his free moments
    from the hard labour by which he was punished following
    some transgression in the colony. He hoped by it to
    mollify the governor. "Flash" is an obsolete term
    referring to thieves, prostitutes, or the underworld.]

Half a century later, John Camden Hotten similarly recorded in his
Slang Dictionary of 1864 that an Andrew Millar was a ship of war.
Three years later, a key variation was recorded:

    ANDREW or ANDREW MILLAR. A cant name for a man-of-war
    and also for government and government authorities.
    [The Sailor's Word-Book, by Admiral W H Smyth,
    1867.]

This was an early indication that the term was moving from being a
reference to a single warship to the whole navy. By the end of the
century, lower-deck ratings were commonly calling the Royal Navy
the Andrew and the name has stuck.

However, researchers have to confess themselves baffled by it.

Jenny O'Brien tells us the St Cloud Times of Minnesota reported on
Friday 22 May: "A fire started by an old electrical chord caused
smoke damage late Thursday to a mobile home in southeast St Cloud."
Sounds like an A Minor fire.

Thanks to Art Scott, we learn that the Daily Telegraph site had a
story on 26 May about Gaping Gill cave: "It takes one minute to
reach the floor of the cave, which is so large the knave of the
York Minster could be contained inside it."

This e-magazine is also available as an RSS feed, which you can
read at http://www.worldwidewords.org/rss/newsletter.xml .

* Comments on e-magazine mailings are always welcome. They should
  Submissions will not usually be acknowledged.
* Questions intended to be answered in the Q and A section should
  be addressed to wordsquestions at worldwidewords.org (please don't
  me asking for simple subscription changes you can do yourself.

The World Wide Words e-magazine and Web site are free, but if you

World Wide Words is copyright (c) Michael Quinion 2009. All rights
reserved. The Words Web site is at http://www.worldwidewords.org .
You may reproduce brief extracts from this e-magazine in mailing
lists, newsletters or newsgroups online, provided that you include
the copyright notice given above. Reproduction of substantial parts
of items in printed publications or Web sites needs permission from
the editor beforehand (wordseditor at worldwidewords.org).