World Wide Words - 28 Aug 10

Fri Aug 27 17:05:08 UTC 2010

WORLD WIDE WORDS         ISSUE 701          Saturday 28 August 2010
Sent each Saturday to at least 50,000 subscribers by e-mail and RSS
Editor: Michael Quinion             US advisory editor: Julane Marx
Website: http://www.worldwidewords.org               ISSN 1470-1448

      A formatted version of this e-magazine is available
      online at http://www.worldwidewords.org/nl/ativ.htm

     This e-magazine is best viewed in a fixed-pitch font.

CUCUMBER TIME  Peter Scoging read this piece online and commented
on my reference to "cabbage", the term for the tailor's perk of the
offcuts of cloth: "Amongst machinists in the UK, 'cabbage' is very
much a living idiom - and I believe this is the case everywhere in
what I suppose one would call collectively the garment trades. My
sister was involved in the trade from the early 1970s through to
1999, and confirms that 'cabbage' in this sense was a regular part
of the language for as long as she was involved."

Mordechai Ben-Menachem and No'am Newman say a Hebrew translation of
"cucumber time" is the usual term in Israel for the summer silly
season. I have since discovered that similar terms, either
featuring cucumbers or gherkins, exist in Estonian, Czech, Polish
and Hungarian. Any more?

REVIEW ONLINE  As forewarned last week, I've written a full review
of the new edition of the Oxford Dictionary of English, mentioning
that its US stablemate, the New Oxford American Dictionary, has a
new edition out soon, too. It is online: http://wwwords.org?ODE3.

2. Weird Words: Jumentous  /dZu:'ment at s/
On recently buying some well-rotted stable manure for my garden, I
was naturally apprehensive lest it be too obviously jumentous. I'm
glad to be able to report that my worries were unfounded.

The word is usually explained as meaning a smell like that of the
urine of a horse. It comes from Latin "jumentum", which the Oxford
English Dictionary explains means a yoke-beast, from "jugum", a
yoke. Though this might reasonably include oxen, the Oxford Latin
Dictionary helpfully notes - somewhat surprisingly in view of its
origin - that in Roman times it usually meant horses or mules, not
cattle. Similarly, the obsolete English word "jument", from the
same source, could mean any beast of burden, but was most often
applied to a horse or donkey.

The first appearance of "jumentous" that I can trace is in this
report of the symptoms of a sick person:

    No motion of the bowels; urine very scanty, red with a
    jumentous and lateritious sediment, also great thirst,
    great dryness of mouth and tongue, which were covered
    with a dirty white covering.
    [The British Journal of Homoeopathy, 1801. The word
    was deemed to be unfamiliar enough that it was defined in
    a footnote as relating to a working horse. "Lateritious",
    from Latin "later", a brick, means resembling brick, or
    coloured brick-red, a word that has usually been applied
    only to urine.]

Other nineteenth-century works used "jumentous" in the same way,
but by the end of the century it had become extremely rare, and
remains so. Peter Bowler asked of it in The Superior Person's
Second Book of Weird and Wondrous Words of 1992, "Is this word
really necessary?" You may concur; I couldn't possibly comment.

3. Wordface
EXTREME SPORT?  Recently, the press widely reported a warning from
the Spanish authorities against a dangerous game played by young
holidaymakers on the Balearic islands. They return to their hotels
from a night out, drunk or on drugs, and attempt to swing from one
balcony to another or jump off balconies into swimming pools below.
Videos have appeared on Internet sites and the activity has become
known as BALCONING. Four deaths have been reported this summer.

ON THE WAY OUT  Paul Hensby, founder of the website My Last Song,
describes an intriguing funerary rite called BEACHING. The deceased
person's family and friends find a suitable beach, mark out his or
her name or some suitable message in the sand, fill the furrows
with the cremains (cremated remains) and wait for the tide to come
in and wash them out to sea. A close study of tide tables and the
current phase of the moon is essential. He comments that careful
timing of the ceremony is also needed to avoid clashes with people
intent on going swimming or building sand castles.

SODCASTING  This is the broadcasting of music in public through the
loudspeaker on one's mobile phone. The result is not only often
intensely annoying to bystanders but is also tinny, lacking in bass
because of the small loudspeaker size. (Some music tracks are being
rerecorded to transpose bass parts into a higher register so that
they can be heard in such circumstances.) The term is a play on
others ending in "-casting", particularly "podcasting" (downloading
recordings from the net to a personal audio player). One wag said
that SODCASTING is "podcasting for the grass roots" or, in British
slang, for the sods, unpleasant or obnoxious people.

5. Q and A: In a trice
Q. In the expression "in a trice", where does "trice" come from?
[Robert Kaplan]

A. Before Britannia ruled the waves, the Dutch were the dominant
maritime nation of Europe and much of our seafaring vocabulary can
be traced back to Dutch words, "trice" included.

It's from the Middle Dutch word "trîsen", to hoist, which is an
older form of the modern Dutch "trijsen". It came into English in
the late fourteenth century. In maritime usage, it meant to lift
something using a rope and was usually coupled with "up". In that
form, it has been part of naval terminology pretty much ever since:

    On the boatswain blowing his whistle the men mustered
    upon deck and formed line, whilst the captain, standing
    well in front of them, delivered a few words to them.
    "When I give the word," he concluded, "you shall
    discharge your pieces, and by thunder, if any man is a
    second before or a second after his fellows I shall trice
    him up to the weather rigging!"
    [Cyprian Overbeck Wells, by Sir Arthur Conan Doyle,
    first published in the Boy's Own Paper, Christmas
    1886.]

However, the more usual implication of "trice up" is not only to
hoist something but also to secure it. Perhaps the best-known case
is in the reveille call, "All hands heave out and trice up", which
originally told sailors to get out of their hammocks and lash them
up out of the way. Here's another common instruction from sailing-
ship days:

    He therefore turned the hands up, "mend sails," and
    took his station amidship on the booms, to see that this,
    the most delinquent sail, was properly furled. "Trice up
    - lay out - All ready forward?"
    [Newton Forster, by Captain Marryat, 1832.]

Landlubbers - from the first known user, Geoffrey Chaucer, in the
Canterbury Tales - had a slightly different meaning, to pull
quickly or suddenly at something, to snatch at it. If you did
something "at a trice", you did it in one pull, so immediately or
without delay. In time "trice" changed from meaning a hoist or a
heave to "instant" or "moment".

The long arm of the law? Leo Boivin tells us about a story from the
Washington Post last Saturday: "A Montgomery County police officer
has been charged with assault for hitting a suspect on the head
with a baton after the suspect had fled, officials said Friday."

A caption to a photograph in the Boston Globe last Thursday was
submitted by Walter Sheppard: "A cyclist rode past the historic
Chatham house repainted fluorescent lime green and yellow, and has
the town talking." For the avoidance of doubt, it is the colour
scheme of the repainted house that has the town talking, not the
cyclist.

Maureen Whitaker mentioned a report from BBC News for Hampshire and
the Isle of Wight on 25 August: "Police are trying to reunite
precious World War I documents and jewellery found in a bin with
their owner."

This e-magazine is also available as an RSS feed, whose source is
at http://www.worldwidewords.org/rss/newsletter.xml .

* Comments on e-magazine mailings are always welcome. They should
  Submissions will not usually be acknowledged.
* Questions intended to be answered in the Q and A section should
  be addressed to wordsquestions at worldwidewords.org (please don't
  me asking for simple subscription changes you can do yourself.

The World Wide Words e-magazine and website are free, but if you

World Wide Words is copyright (c) Michael Quinion 2010. All rights
reserved. The Words website is at http://www.worldwidewords.org .
You may reproduce brief extracts from this e-magazine in mailing
lists, newsletters or newsgroups online, provided that you include
the copyright notice given above. Reproduction of substantial parts
of items in printed publications or websites needs permission from
the editor beforehand (wordseditor at worldwidewords.org).