World Wide Words -- 27 Feb 10

Fri Feb 26 19:06:03 UTC 2010

WORLD WIDE WORDS        ISSUE 679         Saturday 27 February 2010
Sent each Saturday to at least 50,000 subscribers by e-mail and RSS
http://www.worldwidewords.org       US advisory editor: Julane Marx

     My personal page on Facebook: http://wwwords.org?FBMQ
  A Facebook discussion group exists (http://wwwords.org?FBDG)
          Also on Twitter: http://wwwords.org?TWTR.

     This e-magazine is best viewed in a fixed-pitch font.

COCK-A-HOOP  Pat Forsey commented that "It has always been 'cock-a-
whoop' for me: picture a slightly demented rooster in full cry." I
should have mentioned that that spelling is fairly common, no doubt
from the same process of thought. It's written that way in the 1811
edition of Francis Grose's Dictionary of the Vulgar Tongue as well
as in many fiction works, including The Lord of the Rings: "Swagger
it, swagger it, my little cock-a-whoop." Some writers have argued,
against the evidence, that it was the original form.

PIGS  Ron Gerard and Giles Watson both noted this abbreviation had
its genesis in the very early days of the Euro in 2002. The former
told me about a Daily Mail article dated 29 December 2001: "Twelve
member states of the European Union are replacing their national
currency with the euro. The mnemonic 'baffling pigs' will help you
to remember them, they are: Belgium, Austria, Finland, France,
Luxembourg, Irish Republic, Netherlands, Germany, Portugal, Italy,
Greece and Spain." Since then, Slovakia, Slovenia, Cyprus and Malta
have joined the Eurozone, which ruins the mnemonic. Lorena Verdes
pointed out another country-listing acronym: BRICK, standing for
Brazil, Russia, India, China and South Korea - the economies least
susceptible to the current global recession.

HOCUS-POCUS  Melton Francis pointed out that my piece on this word,
written in 2001, has been overtaken by some recent research. I've
updated it: http://wwwords.org?HCPC.

2. Turns of Phrase: Neurocinematics
In essence, this is the study of the way watching films affects the
human mind. The term was invented in a paper by Uri Hasson in 2008,
which showed that some films exert considerable control over brain
activity and eye movements but that this depended - as one would
expect - on their content, editing, and directing style. The paper
suggested that this work, using magnetic resonance imaging, could
lead to a fusion between film studies and cognitive neuroscience
and suggested "neurocinematics" as the name for it.

In February 2010, research by Professor James Cutting and his team
at Cornell University was widely reported. They measured the length
of every shot in 150 high-grossing Hollywood films released between
1935 and 2005. The more recent the film, the more likely it is that
the pattern of duration of shots matches the attention span of its
audience. This pattern, known as the 1/f rule or "pink noise" rule,
had been deduced in earlier studies of volunteers working on tasks.
It seems that, through experience, film editors have intuited the
formula.

The term has appeared a number of times online but only rarely in
print. As yet, it's a niche formation and may not survive.

    Such results have given rise to the term
    neurocinematics, which measures the level of experiential
    control that popular media have on people's brains.
    [The National, 18 Jan. 2009.]

    Given the gargantuan cost of blockbusters like Avatar,
    it wouldn't be surprising if Hollywood's next step is to
    use brain scanners to get inside the heads of movie-
    goers. It's impossible to translate brain activity into
    'Oscar buzz', though, so the potential of
    'neurocinematics' is unproven.
    [New Scientist, 20 Feb. 2010.]

3. Weird Words: Galanthophile  /'galanT at UfVIl/
This is a splendid term for a collector or lover of snowdrops:

    But if you run up against a committed galanthophile,
    expect to become embroiled in their obsessive mania.
    Suggest that snowdrops are all a bit similar and the
    galanthophile will sit you down and take you through the
    minute differences.
    [The Independent, 7 Feb. 2009.]

It comes from the formal botanical name for the genus, Galanthus,
which derives from Greek "gala", milk, and "anthos", flower. (Words
from "gala" include "galactose", milk sugar, and "galaxy",
originally meaning the Milky Way.)

It's possible to trace the term to the late nineteenth century. It
appears, spelled "galanthophil", in an issue of The Garden in 1892
in reference to the Somerset gardener James Allen, a pioneer in
hybridising snowdrops. Elsewhere, credit is given to the garden
writer and plantsman E A Bowles; he is said to have created it in a
letter, whose date isn't given, but is almost certainly after 1892.
The earliest example of the modern form I've been able to trace is
in the Royal Horticultural Society's Daffodil and Tulip Year Book
for 1971.

In recent years the term has become moderately common among garden
writers in the UK as study and collection of snowdrop varieties has
become much more widespread, even fashionable.

4. What I've learned this week
BOTTLED  I'd previously heard of the TOTTLE, a combination tube and
bottle, a term of the packaging industry that's been around since
the early 1990s. But this week I learned of the NOTTLE. It appeared
in a packaging supplement in my daily paper. Details are sparse and
an online search is befuddled by all the references to Gussie Fink-
Nottle, but it appears to be a bottle that has been turned upside
down so it sits on its flat lid, to make squirting the last of its
contents easier. My tomato ketchup has been sold me in a bottle
like that for some years, but I never knew there was a name for it.
Nor do I know where the term comes from. "Not a bottle"? "Negative
bottle"?

ODDITIES GALORE  As it's February, it must be time to announce the
shortlist for the Diagram prize run by Bookseller magazine. It
rewards the oddest book title of the year. Horace Bent, who runs
the contest, reports that the field was very wide this time, even
after he had eliminated titles because they were published before
2009, such as On Sledge and Horseback to Outcast Siberian Lepers
and Sketches of a Few Jellyfish. He also removed titles that looked
as though they were deliberately quirky, such as Bacon: A Love
Story and The Origin of Faeces. The six finalists, with Mr Bent's
comments, are: THE CHANGING WORLD OF INFLAMMATORY BOWEL DISEASE
("It has yet to sell a single copy on UK shores, no doubt because
our enviable diet (curry, etc) bequeaths us with immaculate
intestines"), AFTERTHOUGHTS OF A WORM HUNTER ("All proceeds from
the sales of helminthologist (look it up) Crompton's notes on his
worm-hunting travels go to the Glasgow Centre for International
Development's scholarship fund"), CROCHETING ADVENTURES WITH
HYPERBOLIC PLANES ("The gripping yarn will keep you hooked to the
final chapter: 'Who is Interested in Hyperbolic Geometry Now and
How Can it be Used?'"), GOVERNING LETHAL BEHAVIOR IN AUTONOMOUS
ROBOTS ("Where else can one find an exploration of a new breed of
robots, illustrating 'the first steps toward creating robots that
not only conform to international law but outperform human soldiers
in their ethical capacity'?"), WHAT KIND OF BEAN IS THIS CHIHUAHUA?
("Rumours of a follow-up, What Kind of Asparagus is this Shetland
Pony?, are disappointingly still just rumours") and COLLECTIBLE
SPOONS OF THE 3RD REICH ("Yours for just £13(ish), no longer will
you have to ponder: 'What did the dessert spoons used on the
Kriegsmarine's U-47 look like?'").

TIRED, SO TIRED  All Horace Bent's choices are non-fiction, so he
is unlikely to suffer from a condition that has recently been given
a name of its own: FICTION FATIGUE. It has been used for a state in
which you no longer want to devote time to "contrived plots and
imagined scenarios", as Blake Morrison described it recently, but
have a hunger for reality. The author Scott Bailey wrote in his
Literary Lab blog last month that for him it was a state in which
his "own brilliant work no longer seems interesting". Been there.

5. Q and A: Going to the dogs
Q. Everyone knows that "going to the dogs" means going to rack and
ruin or becoming worthless, as in "this country is going to the
dogs". But what exactly did go to the dogs to get the expression
started? [Tom Halsted]

A. In my callow and uninformed youth I used to think this referred
to a visit to a greyhound racing track (usually called "the dogs"
in Britain) and the consequent adverse effect on one's wallet
through betting on animals with no skill in chasing imitation
hares. I now know better, though lots of humorists have had the
same thought:

    Greyhound racing in the UK appears to be going to the
    dogs according to the latest figures.
    [Daily Telegraph, 16 Nov. 2009. The first known use of
    this jokey reference was in the Daily Mail in July 1927.
    It's time it was retired.]

The idiom is actually one of the older in the language. There are
references to bequeathing various useless things to dogs as long
ago as the early sixteenth century. It was later borrowed by the
Bard:

    DOCTOR: Therein the patient Must minister to himself.
    MACBETH: Throw physic to the dogs, I'll none of it.
    [Macbeth, by William Shakespeare, 1605.]

These and earlier examples - all suggesting throwing something to
the dogs rather than going to them - evoke the famously unsanitary
meals of the English medieval period, in which dogs were regularly
present and were thrown scraps from the table. The sense shifted
later from a useless thing to something that had been thrown away,
hence ruined or destroyed. The idea of deterioration to a shocking
extent, "going to the dogs", came along rather later.

"A coffee shop near my place of work," commented Patrick Mullins
from Brooklyn, NY, "recently began advertising their breakfast,
including a 'blubbery muffin'. It doesn't appeal."

Roger Williams wondered whether a 29-year-old Sic! was permissible.
He had just disinterred a fragment torn from television listings in
the issue of the Sunday Times for 16 August 1981, a photo of which
he sent with his message: "After his death at the age of 42, Elvis
Presley became a living legend."

"Now, that's entertainment!" commented Margaret Collins, having
seen a Yahoo! entertainment headline last Saturday: "Sean Penn
charged with battery in Los Angeles."

Linda Sewell, in Hartlepool, was reading the Northern Echo for 12
February when she spotted this ad for a mobile home: "Willerby
Boston Lodge 40x20 fully sited on stunning south facing pitch with
paramaniac views". With that outlook it's a snip at £84,995.

This e-magazine is also available as an RSS feed, whose source is
at http://www.worldwidewords.org/rss/newsletter.xml .

* Comments on e-magazine mailings are always welcome. They should
  Submissions will not usually be acknowledged.
* Questions intended to be answered in the Q and A section should
  be addressed to wordsquestions at worldwidewords.org (please don't
  me asking for simple subscription changes you can do yourself.

The World Wide Words e-magazine and Web site are free, but if you

World Wide Words is copyright (c) Michael Quinion 2010. All rights
reserved. The Words Web site is at http://www.worldwidewords.org .
You may reproduce brief extracts from this e-magazine in mailing
lists, newsletters or newsgroups online, provided that you include
the copyright notice given above. Reproduction of substantial parts
of items in printed publications or Web sites needs permission from
the editor beforehand (wordseditor at worldwidewords.org).