World Wide Words -- 06 Nov 10

Fri Nov 5 17:40:34 UTC 2010

WORLD WIDE WORDS         ISSUE 711         Saturday 6 November 2010
Editor: Michael Quinion             US advisory editor: Julane Marx
Website: http://www.worldwidewords.org               ISSN 1470-1448

      A formatted version of this e-magazine is available
      online at http://www.worldwidewords.org/nl/ieyf.htm

     This e-magazine is best viewed in a fixed-pitch font.

RUDE WORDS  The nanny filters on a large number of e-mail systems
drew back their electronic skirts in horror at several perfectly
good English words that appeared in the last issue. If you were
prevented from reading that issue, you will find it online via the
link http://wwwords.org?PMIX .

CRINKUM-CRANKUM  Numerous readers reminded me of the former garden
feature, a "crinkle-crankle wall". This was a sinuous wall that was
decorative, provided good shelter for growing plants and was cheap
to construct, because the bends gave it sufficient support that it
need only be one brick wide. The Oxford Companion to the Garden
says it dated from the late eighteenth and nineteenth centuries, in
East Anglia in particular, as it was brought from the Netherlands
(where it was called a "slange muur", or snaking wall) by Dutch
engineers who came to drain the fens. Another of similar form to
"crinkum-crankum" is "cringle-crangle". "Crankle" and "crangle" are
frequentive forms that derive, like "crankum", from "crank".

As an aside, Rod Webb mentioned a former pub in Sevenoaks in Kent
(now a private house), with the strange name Rorty Crankle. There
are one or two others, I am told, around the country. "Rorty" is
nineteenth-century London slang, meaning boisterous, high-spirited
or risqué (from which Australians derived "rort", meaning both a
fraudulent or dishonest practice and a wild party). But quite where
"crankle" fits in I'm unsure.

GROCKLE  Paul Fletcher wrote from York about my updated piece on
this word: "It is commonly used by birders [birdwatchers] to mean
someone who turns up to watch birds with all the kit but none of
the knowledge and a telling lack of fieldcraft. I have been aware
of it for a good twenty years. It is, needless to say, pejorative.
When I first came across it, grockles tended to have expensive bins
[binoculars], green wellies and a Volvo; they would talk loudly,
probably flush the bird, and quite often depart having ticked the
wrong bird." To tick a bird in birding slang is to add it to one's
personal list of sightings; he also introduced me to "tart's tick",
a relatively common species that is added to one's list later than
might be expected.

Jodie Robson pointed me to a book of 1966, Osborne's Army by John
Anthony West, which includes not only the word but many variations,
such as "grockledom", "grockle coops" (presumably hotels) and
"grockle-bait" (tacky souvenirs). She asks how it could be that a
word still tightly linked to Devon should appear in a work by an
American, a former Manhattan copywriter turned astrologer, who in
age was a member of the beat generation. He might, of course, have
seen the film, The System, which came out in the US in 1962 and
which included the word. But the clue is in the book, in which West
says it had been "written over six years on Ibiza". The island was
even then popular with English tourists and he probably picked it
up there. He may have invented the compounds ("grockle-bait" is
first recorded in the OED in 1986). His book came out in the UK in
the Penguin New Writers series and may in turn have contributed to
disseminating the word beyond Devon.

Colin Burt says that in the state of Queensland in Australia, the
tourists are called Mexicans, because they come from South of the
Border, Down Mexico Way. To get the allusion, you need to be old
enough to remember the Gene Autry song from a film of 1939; a
reference book of Australian slang says the same term is used by
those living in New South Wales of tourists coming north from
Victoria.

MY NEW(ISH) BOOK  I was in such a scramble to get last week's issue
out that I completely forgot to mention that the paperback of my
most recent book, "Why is Q Always Followed by U?" was published on
28 October in the UK and will be out in the USA and Canada later in
November. ISBN 978-0-141-03924-4. It sells at GBP9.99 but you can
get it cheaper from Amazon (follow the link in the final section of
this issue to learn how to help World Wide Words by doing so).

PUNDITRY  I wrote last time that "my pun ration for the month has
already been exceeded". As we are now in a fresh month, I am able
to quote a comment from Randall Bart, "Exceeding your pun ration is
bad. Exceeding your sausage ration is wurst."

2. Weird Words: Staddle  /stad(@)l/
Readers of Tolkien's Lord of the Rings trilogy may recognise this
as the name of one of the villages of the Bree Land. It suggests
the strength and stoutheartedness of a people who for him meant all
that was solid and dependable about traditional England. Like most
of Tolkien's words, it's no accident. He was borrowing an Old
English word that meant variously a foundation or support.

We've almost entirely lost it today, though it survived for some
centuries in English dialect, most commonly in the south of the
country. One sense was of a stump of a tree that was left in the
ground after felling so that a clump of thin stems could grow from
it, a technique called coppicing. It could also refer to a tree
left in place when all around had been felled, so that it would
grow to full size, called a standard, unencumbered by neighbours.
The connection between these senses is that one form of woodland
management was called "coppice with standards", which combined the
two methods. "Staddle" seems to have been used indiscriminately for
both components.

The sense you're most likely to encounter, however, especially if
you visit a museum of historic buildings, is of a stone carved in
the shape of a mushroom, with a conical stem and a wide rounded
top. This isn't a staddle, strictly speaking, but a staddle stone.
It was one of the supports that kept the actual staddle, the wood
or stone base of a hay rick or granary, clear of the ground. The
staddle stones were that shape to keep the rats out.

    On the east side, in front of the house, a barn stands
    clear of the ground on staddle stones; and opposite is
    the cow byre.
    [Watership Down, by Richard Adams, 1972.]

3. Topical Words: Shellacking
A wave of puzzlement encircled the globe after President Obama said
in his press conference last Wednesday, "I'm not recommending for
every future President that they take a shellacking like I did last
night". As the word is mostly known in the US, queries principally
came from outside the country. However, many Americans, familiar
with the expression though they are, came to wonder for the first
time how the word came to mean a beating or serious defeat.

Shellac was once the most common form of varnish, used everywhere.
Its name comes from French "laque en écailles", lac in thin plates.
Lac, a protective resin secreted by the lac insect, was prepared by
drying, melting and pouring it to form thin flakes. "Lac" is from
the Hindi lakh, a hundred thousand, though I've not been able to
find out why. It's also the origin of "lacquer" - in its original
form this was shellac dissolved in alcohol. Lac was used in its
homeland as a scarlet dye for silk.

The terms "shellacking" and "shellacked" were extremely common in
American newspapers in the late nineteenth century. To judge from
these reports, almost anything could be improved by coating it with
shellac, not just furniture or floors. Gramophone records were
manufactured from materials impregnated with shellac. Straw hats,
fabrics and canvas tents were waterproofed with it. And it was used
as a form of hair lacquer. That was a fashion of the bright young
things of the early 1920s (especially the boys), when the slang
term first turns up:

    Daughter - "A friend of Harry's we met there was the
    darbs, and after that we drifted to a couple of the
    clubs, and both the boys got beautifully shellacked."
    Mother - "Shellacked! I don't understand." Daughter -
    "Jammed, both of them."
    [Ogden Standard Examiner, 12 Apr. 1922, in an article
    reproduced from the New York Sunday Herald under the
    headline, "English Language as Spoken by the Younger
    Generation". The piece mostly consists of a glossary,
    which explains "jammed" as "intoxicated, bolognied, pie-
    eyed, piffled, shot, shellacked, canned, out like a
    light, stewed to the hat, potted, jiggered, tanked". A
    "darb" was "a person with money, who can be relied upon
    to pay the check".]

We can only guess how "shellacked" took on the idea of being drunk.
Might it have been one stage on from being plastered, a term known
from a little earlier? Might the shiny, red face of a drunk look
shellacked? Could the fashion among young men for shellacked hair
have been part of the stimulus for its creation?

Within a couple of years, "shellacked" had evolved from being drunk
to being soundly beaten in various sports, including baseball and
boxing:

    Giants beat Reds in ninth; Cubs shellac Boston
    Braves
    [A headline in the Hartford Courant, 26 May 1924.]

    The smart Mr. Shevlin was biding his time, however,
    and when the opportunity came in the third he took full
    advantage of it and shellacked Norton plenty, ripping
    both hands to the mid-section with much power behind each
    drive.
    [Evening Tribune (Providence, RI), 3 Jun. 1924.]

How that second shift happened is once again guesswork. If the only
sport involved were boxing, we might try to make a link through
"punch-drunk", but that doesn't work for baseball. Several writers
have plausibly suggested that the word, with its strong consonants,
suggests some sort of violent action, perhaps a combined "shelling"
and "whacking".

Whatever the exact chain of development, any mental link with the
varnish is now tenuous at best.

A report in the Guardian last Saturday on the British government's
plans to sell off its forests quoted this comment from Malcolm
Currie, a negotiator for the union Prospect: "Three thousand
employees' jobs and futures will be under threat as the land is
pulled from under their feet."

Still with the Guardian, in another article the day before about
the forest sell-off, John Pearson and I dead-heated in spotting
this: "Bridal and cycle paths are increasingly popular." Better a
bridal path, I suppose, than the primrose sort.

Kenneth Huey reports an odd phrasing in the New Yorker magazine of
4 October: "In 1682, a government minister hid the death of the
Dalai Lama for fifteen years." Did he, asks Mr Huey, take the whole
year over it?

This e-magazine is also available as an RSS feed, whose source is
at http://www.worldwidewords.org/rss/newsletter.xml .

* Comments on e-magazine mailings are always welcome. They should
  Submissions will not usually be acknowledged.
* Questions intended to be answered in the Q and A section should
  be addressed to wordsquestions at worldwidewords.org (please don't
  me asking for simple subscription changes you can do yourself.

The World Wide Words e-magazine and website are free, but if you

World Wide Words is copyright (c) Michael Quinion 2010. All rights
reserved. The Words website is at http://www.worldwidewords.org .
You may reproduce brief extracts from this e-magazine in mailing
lists, newsletters or newsgroups online, provided that you include
the copyright notice given above. Reproduction of substantial parts
of items in printed publications or websites needs permission from
the editor beforehand (wordseditor at worldwidewords.org).