World Wide Words -- 09 Apr 11

Fri Apr 8 16:27:04 UTC 2011

WORLD WIDE WORDS           ISSUE 731          Saturday 9 April 2011
Editor: Michael Quinion             US advisory editor: Julane Marx
Website: http://www.worldwidewords.org               ISSN 1470-1448

      A formatted version of this e-magazine is available
      online at http://www.worldwidewords.org/nl/prwi.htm

     This e-magazine is best viewed in a fixed-pitch font.

BOUNTY HUNTER  Michael Templeton suggests that I hadn't found early
examples of the term being used for a hunter of humans because my
sources didn't include libraries of western pulp fiction. He found
an example in The Crimson Horseshoe by Peter Dawson, dated 1941. As
it happens, I've now taken the phrase back a bit further (Justin
Beam also found it, in another source):

    The first four chapters deal with noted western
    characters: Charles Goodnight, the trail-blazer, John
    Chisum, the cattle king, Clay Allison, the man-killer,
    and Tom Horn, scout and human bounty-hunter.
    [A review of Fighting Men of the West by Dane
    Coolidge, in the Southwestern Historical Quarterly of
    Texas, July 1932.]

As the writer felt it necessary to specify that the bounty hunter
was after human beings and not animals, that sense of the term must
have then been new. Justin Beam confirms that Dane Coolidge didn't
use the term himself, describing the protagonist as a "man-hunter".

BROSIERING  As a further comment on the linguistic peculiarities of
Eton College in the nineteenth century, Kirk Mattoon quoted from
Boys Together by John Chandos, about British public schools in that
period. Chandos wrote, "Everyone, male or female, except classics
tutors, who kept a boarding house to accommodate Eton boys was a
'Dame'." What was so different about classics tutors?

EXPERIMENT  Following a suggestion from a reader, I've set up a new
RSS feed - The Word File - as a trial. It will run from Monday to
Friday of next week, though last Friday's test will be available
over this weekend if you want a sneak preview. Each day a new
random link will be presented to a page on the World Wide Words
site. The URL is

  http://www.worldwidewords.org/rss/wordfile.xml

Try it and let me know what you think. Worth having? A waste of
effort? Needs modifying? Send your comments to the usual address,
wordseditor at worldwidewords.org, but include "Word File" in the
subject line.

2. Weird Words: Hedera
Gardeners will prick up their ears in the expectation that they are
about to hear something interesting about ivy, as "Hedera" is its
genus name (Hedera helix is the common English ivy, where "helix"
refers to the spiraling growth of the ivy stems). Ivy is closely
involved, but I'm actually writing about punctuation.

Most of the dots, marks, slashes and dashes that separate our words
are relatively modern inventions that followed the introduction of
printing in the fifteenth century. Commas date from the sixteenth
century, while exclamation and question marks didn't appear until a
century later, around the time that semicolons came in.

Classical Latin writers didn't have any of these and didn't feel
the lack, but then because written texts were intended to be read
aloud rather than silently. They did have the capitulum, or chapter
marker, which turned into the symbol we now call a pilcrow (see
http://wwwords.org?PLCRW). Romans indicated the ends of texts with
an ivy leaf, which they naturally called a hedera. Why they chose
ivy is unknown. It was a symbol of Bacchus, the Greek and Roman god
of wine, but that hardly seems to fit; perhaps it was just common
and easy to draw.

The mark was carried over into English printing but by then it had
become an ornament, one of a group that became known as "fleurons"
(from Old French "floron", a flower). You may still sometimes come
across the hedera as a graphic symbol for a section break or as a
decorative marker at the beginning of a paragraph.

3. Q and A: Burke
Q. In one of C P Snow's Strangers & Brothers series, Time of Hope,
I came across a verb that I'd not seen before: "I did not burke the
certain truths". What did Snow mean by "burke"? [John Boaler]

A. It's an intriguing verb.

It takes us back to the 1820s and that notorious pair, Burke and
Hare. Medical schools were finding it difficult to get enough
cadavers for the anatomic dissection essential to train students.
The only official source was executed criminals but their numbers
had been decreasing because fewer were being condemned to death,
while the number of students needing corpses was increasing. One
source was grave-robbing, carried out by low-life scavengers who
were given the ironic name of resurrectionists.

Brendan Burke and William Hare, two Irish immigrants to Edinburgh,
started their grisly trade by selling the body of a recently
deceased tenant of their boarding house to Dr Robert Knox, a local
anatomist. Having learned that bodies could be profitable, they
began to murder individuals, usually by getting them drunk and then
smothering them, to leave no marks on the bodies that would reduce
their value as specimens.

Burke was convicted of 16 murders and executed in January 1829; in
a fitting end, his body was publicly dissected at the Edinburgh
Medical College. Hare had turned King's Evidence and had been given
immunity from prosecution. The case caused a huge sensation, as did
the imitative but much more widespread activities of a gang in the
English capital which became known as the London Burkers. With the
public outcry over grave-robbing, these led to the passing of the
Anatomy Act 1832, which legitimised the donation of bodies for
medical science.

The Times report on 2 February 1829 of his public hanging recorded
of those attending that "every countenance wore the lively aspect
of a gala-day" and that Burke's name had already become an eponymic
verb: the spectators shouted "Burke Hare too!" By the time Charles
Dickens was writing his first novel less than a decade later, the
term was known to everybody:

    "Why, sir, bless your innocent eyebrows, that's where
    the mysterious disappearance of a 'spectable tradesman
    took place four years ago." "You don't mean to say he was
    burked, Sam?" said Mr. Pickwick, looking hastily
    round.
    [The Pickwick Papers, by Charles Dickens, 1837.]

By this time, too, the verb had become figurative. To burke is to
suppress, hush up, or avoid discussing something. It comes from the
idea of metaphorically smothering an issue. This is the sense in
which Snow used it. Though it's hardly common, it's still around:

    In the case of the BNP [the British National Party],
    both Government and Opposition need to be compelled to
    confront the issue they have for so long burked; for it
    is the mishandling of this which has allowed the BNP to
    raise its ugly head.
    [Belfast Telegraph, 20 Oct. 2009.]

By the way, "burke" has no connection with the British slang term
"berk" for a stupid person. That's rhyming slang, known from the
1920s if not earlier, short for Berkeley (or Berkshire) Hunt, even
though in British English the first parts of both are pronounced
"bark".

Ella Poindexter spotted a headline on the Sky News website over a
story dated 3 April: "Police Name Severed Arms In Lake Victim".

Once you know "decedent" is a formal term for a deceased person, a
summary of an article in Zaritsky's Estate Planning Update for 1
April contains - as Kathleen Magone points out - an unfortunate
error. It ends "... despite the fact the decedent lived there for
six months after her death."

After last week's instance, further higher mathematics in a news
item came courtesy of Andrew Hawke: "The four candidates on the
list ahead of Ms Wall (Judith Tizard, Mark Burton, Mahara Okeroa,
Martin Gallagher and Dave Hereora) all turned down the role." This
was in the New Zealand Herald on 6 April.

Aoife Bairead saw a headline in the Sunday Business Post of Ireland
dated 3 April: "Bishops agree sex abuse rules".

Cecelia Poole found a job posting by Sutter Health for a secretary
in a medical centre in northern California. Qualifications required
included, "Type 75wpm. Excellent grammar, speloing, editing and
composition skills." Suggestion: first hire a proofreader.

The Daily Maverick of South Africa (masthead boast: "Not entirely
omniscient") had an article on 5 April, Kristina Davidson tells us,
about changes at a government agency: "The position of CEO became
vacant after all four full-time members, Smunda Mokoena, Thembani
Bukula, Ethel Teljeur and Rod Crompton, expired on 31 March."

This e-magazine is also available as an RSS feed, whose source is
at http://www.worldwidewords.org/rss/newsletter.xml .

* Comments on e-magazine mailings are always welcome. They should
  Submissions will usually be acknowledged.
* Questions intended to be answered in the Q and A section should
  be addressed to wordsquestions at worldwidewords.org (please don't
  me asking for simple subscription changes you can do yourself.

The World Wide Words e-magazine and website are free, but if you

World Wide Words is copyright (c) Michael Quinion 2011. All rights
reserved. The Words website is at http://www.worldwidewords.org .
You may reproduce brief extracts from this e-magazine in mailing
lists, newsletters or newsgroups online, provided that you include
the copyright notice given above. Reproduction of substantial parts
of items in printed publications or websites needs permission from
the editor beforehand (wordseditor at worldwidewords.org).