World Wide Words -- 05 Mar 11

Fri Mar 4 18:05:07 UTC 2011

WORLD WIDE WORDS           ISSUE 726          Saturday 5 March 2011
Editor: Michael Quinion             US advisory editor: Julane Marx
Website: http://www.worldwidewords.org               ISSN 1470-1448

      A formatted version of this e-magazine is available
      online at http://www.worldwidewords.org/nl/hpyr.htm

     This e-magazine is best viewed in a fixed-pitch font.

PHROP  Lawrence Krakauer e-mailed: "It seems to me that you applied
it to two entirely different things. A phrase like 'we must have
lunch sometime' is not ambiguous, it's just insincere. But 'thank
you for sending your book - I shall lose no time in reading it' is
intentionally ambiguous. Perhaps we need different words for these
two types of phrop." Perhaps, Julane Marx suggests, we might call
the latter a malaphrop? The first sense is the original, as I noted
in the piece; the other is an example of what some have described
as autoantonymic or Janus phrases. The biggest group of these are
humorously ambiguous job references. Readers sent in many examples,
such as "You'll be lucky if you can get this man to work for you".
There's even a book of them, The Lexicon of Intentionally Ambiguous
Recommendations or LIAR for short. Guy Aron remembered the famous
Pears soap advertisement from 1893 onwards, based on a cartoon in
Punch in 1884 by Harry Furniss, in which a filthy tramp was writing
to the firm: "Dear Sirs, two years ago I used your soap. Since then
I have used no other."

THAT'S ALL SHE WROTE  An excellent find by Michael Templeton takes
its written history back two years to an article about a cockfight
in the April 1942 issue of H L Mencken's American Mercury: "'That's
all she wrote!' gleefully called out a fan, before crossing the pit
to collect a fifty-dollar bet." He also found a song by Ernest
Tubb, the Texas Troubadour, entitled That's All She Wrote, also
from 1942. Confusingly, that is widely attributed to Jerry Fuller
in 1950, though as he was 12 at the time, he would have had to be
precocious to write about being dumped by his girl. I posted these
findings on the American Dialect Society discussion list; within
hours Garson O'Toole had found three examples of "that's all she
wrote" in the Atlanta Daily World from June and August 1942. As all
these examples are from civilian contexts, the prevailing view that
the idiom is from servicemen being dumped by Dear John letters is
no longer sustainable. My guess is that the immediate source will
turn out to be Ernest Tubb's song, which surely must have been
performed on radio before 1942 and which popularised it.

2. Weird Words: Erumpent  /I'rVmp at nt/
Stifle your delight, Harry Potter fans. We're not discussing that
elephant-like beast, whose over-sensitive horn exploded in Harry
Potter and the Deathly Hallows.

It's a good name for the animal, though, with its hints of "erupt"
and "trumpet", and its true meaning, of something bursting forth,
might describe an explosion. A few writers have borrowed the word
to salt their prose: "The musicians added to the erumpent revelry
with a sprightly semi-martial tune", wrote Alan Dean Foster in
Icescape. Better was the almost poetic "Snowdrops are erumpent in
the dreary winter landscape", which the gardener Lia Leendertz
recently wrote in The Guardian, because it locates the word nearer
to its true home.

Botanists and biologists, the only people who employ the word at
all regularly, commonly bury it in the undergrowth of dense
technical descriptions: "Pseudothecia mainly epiphyllous, in dense
clusters, immersed but becoming erumpent". It has most often been
used to refer to the fruiting bodies of fungi, which in their
season are notably erumpent.

It's from the Latin verb "rumpere", to break out. That's the source
of several much more common English adjectives and verbs that end
in "-rupt", notably "abrupt", "erupt" and "interrupt", as well as
the outstandingly rare "rumpent" - the Oxford English Dictionary
defines this last word as an application for breaking a swelling,
but it has only one example of it and doesn't explain further.

3. Wordface
Bruce Thorpe tells me that the term MUNTED has been widely heard in
New Zealand in the past ten days in reference to the Christchurch
earthquake. A typical comment is "our neighbour's house is munted",
meaning that it has been totally destroyed. This sense is confined
to New Zealand. In Australia it's known in the broader sense of
something deeply ugly or unpleasant. Teen slang in the UK uses it
as a derogatory term for an unattractive woman, who may be a
MUNTER. In all three countries it also means being very drunk or
out of it on drugs. The word is 1990s slang but nobody seems to
have much idea where it comes from.

4. Q and A: Limerick
Q. It has for many years puzzled me that the verse form should be
known as a limerick. Can you help? [James Grainger]

A. Your puzzlement has long been shared by historians of language.

The nineteenth-century illustrator and poet Edward Lear is closely
associated with the form. But he didn't invent it. He borrowed it
from examples that he discovered in a book of 1822, Anecdotes and
Adventures of Fifteen Gentlemen (a couple of other books containing
examples appeared two years before). One verse gave Lear the idea
of writing limericks to accompany his illustrations for children:

    There was a sick man of Tobago
    Who lived long on rice-gruel and sago;
      But at last, to his bliss,
      The physician said this -
    "To a roast leg of mutton you may go."

The form is often claimed to be older. Modern books about Ireland
link it to the eighteenth century Filí na Máighe, Gaelic poets of
the Maigue, based in a pub in Croom, County Limerick. Two members
of the group were Seán Ó'Tuama and Aindrias MacCraith, who jousted
in verses with limerick metre. These were translated into English
by the poet James Clarence Mangan, and appear in both languages in
John O'Daly's The Poets and Poetry of Munster of 1850. This was
before Edward Lear's work became widely known; he became popular
only after his Book of Nonsense of 1846 was republished in 1861.

Neither Lear nor O'Daly nor the authors of the books of the early
1820s called these poems limericks. The first known appearance of
that name is in a letter dated 1896 by the artist and illustrator
Aubrey Beardsley.

In O'Daly's book the verses are headed by "Air: The Growling Old
Woman", indicating that they were intended to be sung, not recited.
In 1898, a contributor to the scholarly journal Notes and Queries
expanded on this: "Certain it is that a song has existed in Ireland
for a very considerable time, the construction of the verse of
which is identical with that of Lear's". He went on to describe a
custom at convivial parties:

    One member of the party started a verse, and when he
    had concluded the whole assembly joined in the chorus.
    Then the next performer started a second verse, and so on
    until each one had contributed a verse; repetitions were
    not allowed, and forfeits were extracted from those who
    could not fulfil the conditions. This meant that each one
    had to supply an original verse of his own.
    [Notes and Queries, 9th Series, Vol 2, 10 December
    1898.]

The writer adds that the chorus consisted of the repeated lines
"Will you come up, come up? / Will you come up to Limerick?"
Stephen Goranson, a librarian at Duke University, North Carolina,
has found a related reference from the other side of the Atlantic
from 18 years earlier:

    There was a young rustic named Mallory,
    who drew but a very small salary. When
    he went to a show, his purse made him go to
    a seat in the uppermost gallery. Tune,
    wont you come to Limerick.
    [St John Daily News (New Brunswick), 30 Nov. 1880.]

The tune is presumably the traditional jig often called Will You
Come Down To Limerick ("up" and "down" seem to be interchangeable
or omitted at will). It appeared under that title in the famous
collection Music of Ireland by Captain Francis O'Neill, published
in Chicago in 1903.

Stephen Goranson argues on the basis of this item that the limerick
was named in the US, with the chorus of the jig based on a Civil-
War era slang phrase, "come to Limerick" or "bring to Limerick",
meaning submit to authority, which he suggests might be a reference
to the Civil War in Ireland, concluded at Limerick in 1691. He has
as yet been unable to confirm this and I'm sceptical. (I'm going to
write about this in more detail later.)

To summarise, we have two possibilities for the origin. The obvious
one is that the name comes from the verses written by the men of
County Limerick. But if that's so, why didn't the name appear much
earlier than it did? I'm sure they became at all known only after
"limerick" had entered the language and people began to seek its
source, seizing on the Filí na Máighe without looking too deeply
into dating. The other possibility is that the name was taken from
the chorus or title of the jig. As it was known on both sides of
the Atlantic, and the earliest examples of the term are from the
UK, it is likely to have first appeared in Britain. This remains
the more probable suggestion.

The Camden New Journal of London, dated 24 February, featured an
article on a sit-in at the Barclays bank in Tottenham Court Road,
which got Julia Clarke's attention for the wrong reason: "Organised
by UK Uncut, campaigners claim the multinational bank only pays a
slither of its national profits in corporation tax, amounting to 1
per cent." Free association test: "Banker?" "Slither!"

A mixed metaphor appeared in the Daily Telegraph on 25 February.
Anthony Massey found it in a piece claiming that cuts in UK defence
spending would make it difficult to mount even a small-scale
operation in future. An officer was quoted: "We have cut our cloth
very small and if we bit off more than we could chew we would be in
trouble."

The Morning Sentinel of Waterville, Maine, carried a report on 28
February which John Sweney read. It concerned a parish letter sent
by the local pastor, Father Joseph Daniels, that detailed cutbacks
in services due to a shortage of priests: "Daniels also said the
parish will need to eventually grapple with a longer-term problem:
the number of shrinking Catholics attending church in the
Waterville area."

Stu Wrenn and Laurie Camion spotted a photo caption in a story on
the Daily Mail website on 2 March: "Floundering tyrant: Gaddafi,
pictured last night as he made a series of bizarre statements, has
had billions of pounds worth of his assets frozen along with his
daughter and four sons".

This e-magazine is also available as an RSS feed, whose source is
at http://www.worldwidewords.org/rss/newsletter.xml .

* Comments on e-magazine mailings are always welcome. They should
  Submissions will not usually be acknowledged.
* Questions intended to be answered in the Q and A section should
  be addressed to wordsquestions at worldwidewords.org (please don't
  me asking for simple subscription changes you can do yourself.

The World Wide Words e-magazine and website are free, but if you

World Wide Words is copyright (c) Michael Quinion 2011. All rights
reserved. The Words website is at http://www.worldwidewords.org .
You may reproduce brief extracts from this e-magazine in mailing
lists, newsletters or newsgroups online, provided that you include
the copyright notice given above. Reproduction of substantial parts
of items in printed publications or websites needs permission from
the editor beforehand (wordseditor at worldwidewords.org).