World Wide Words -- 10 Oct 11

Fri Oct 7 16:38:39 UTC 2011

WORLD WIDE WORDS         ISSUE 757           Saturday 8 October 2011
Author/editor: Michael Quinion       US advisory editor: Julane Marx
Website: http://www.worldwidewords.org                ISSN 1470-1448

     A formatted version of this e-magazine is available
     online at http://www.worldwidewords.org/nl/diao.htm

       Now on Twitter: http://twitter.com/wwwordseditor

     This e-magazine is best viewed in a fixed-pitch font

COLOUR ME PREFIXED  Following up last week's comments about words
starting in "en-" and "em-" for imbuing something with colour,
Andrew Palmer and Dave Cook supplied the first sentence of Thomas
Hardy's Return of the Native: "A Saturday afternoon in November was
approaching the time of twilight, and the vast tract of unenclosed
wild known as Egdon Heath embrowned itself moment by moment."

Ian Paterson included "embrown" in his Dictionary of Colour (2003)
and wrote, "Compare 'empurple' and 'embronze'. These appear to be
the only three colours bearing the transitive em- prefix.  But see
also 'encrimson', 'engolden', 'envermeil' and 'envermil'." Claire
Nolan mentioned both "engolden" and "embronze"; the main meaning of
the latter is to embody something in bronze, for example a statue,
but can also mean to colour something bronze. She also listed the
rare verb "emblanch", to make white. The OED has both "encrimson"
and "envermeil", which means to tinge with vermillion. I can find
few examples of its relative "envermil", to make red; this is from a
poem about fish in the Gentleman's Magazine of May 1740: "The tench,
and here the speary perch delight, / Envermill'd all with finns of
rosy red". Edward Fisher mentioned that the OED also has "engreen".

Russ Willey echoed the comments of many subscribers: "You and Andrew
Haynes are only right about the sparsity of verbs for instilling a
colour if you're seeking discrete words created with an affix. But
plenty of names for colours also act as 'instilling' verbs, without
the need any extra letters. Paper yellows with age, campaigners
advocate the greening of the environment, inapplicable options on
forms are greyed out, fried potatoes are lightly browned, my hair is
silvered in a distinguished fashion, and so on. And Shakespeare used
'azured' a couple of times. In fact, the vast majority of colour
names are also used as verbs in an instilling sense, although 'to
orange' is rare and 'to pink' and 'to maroon' are generally eschewed
because those verbs have other meanings."

Enough on this subject, I think!

CORRECTION  Professor Robert A Rothstein is based at the University
of Massachusetts Amherst, not at MIT.

2. Weird Words: Idioticon  /,IdI'QtIk(@)n/
If you came across this word in these internet times without knowing
what it means, you might guess it refers to an image whose purpose
is to flag something online as stupid or witless. No such marker
exists, though if it did it would surely not lack application.

It does come from the same ancient source as "idiot". In Latin, an
"idiota" was an ignorant or uneducated person, but not necessarily a
fool or mentally inadequate. In classical Greek, "idios" referred to
something private, hence "idiotikos" for a private person (the sense
is still around in modern Greek; for example, "idiotiko scholeio" is
a private school). "Idios" could also refer to somebody with his own
ideas and ways of living, which survives in our "idiosyncrasy" and
"idiosyncratic".

In Greek, "idiotikos" could also mean ignorant or uneducated; its
neuter singular "idiotikon" was taken into Latin after the classical
period in this sense. In the eighteenth century German scholars used
it for a dictionary of a dialect or a minority language - the view
that they were barbarous tongues spoken only by the unschooled was
still very powerful. Early examples included the Idioticon Frisicum,
the Idioticon Hambergense and the Idioticon Prussicum. Later it
became a standard German word, spelled "Idiotikon".

"Idioticon" appeared in English in the early nineteenth century in
the same sense but has always been extremely rare.

    I often wished for a Bronx idioticon and a Yiddish
    dictionary to clarify some of the words.
    [Sydney Morning Herald, 6 Jul. 1996.]

3. Wordface
MAD ABOUT NUTS  Reports have been appearing in the English press to
the effect that this year is a MAST YEAR, with especially big crops
of nuts such as acorns or chestnuts. This might seem to be good news
for the World Conker Championships, being held tomorrow in Ashton,
Northamptonshire, since it relies on horse chestnuts to play the
ancient game. However, the Campaign For Real Conkers, a group that
opposes bans on conker playing, has suggested that it has actually
led to a shortage because conkers have been ripening early; by mid-
September - the normal time for collecting championship conkers - it
claimed that most had already fallen and been trampled or removed.
MAST has nothing to do with the pole that holds up a ship's sails,
but is an Old English word related to "meat" in its sense of solid
food (as in "meat and drink"), and was a collective term for the
fruit of woodland trees used as food for pigs and other animals.

We have personal experience of this year's mast, since we have two
hazelnut trees in our garden (something that the local squirrels
have learned to appreciate: we spend much of the summer uprooting
hazel seedlings where the pestiferous beasties have buried nuts the
previous autumn). It was only last week that, by virtue of having
two trees, I learned that we might stretch language a little and
call that part of the garden a hazel PLAT, though my wife joked that
two trees do not a plat make and that we needed to have three (she
was thinking of PLAIT). "Plat" is Middle English for a small patch
of cultivated ground - you might have had a corn-plat for example; a
grass-plat was a lawn. It's probably a variant of "plot". The
spelling shift may have come about through a mental link to the
adjective of the same spelling (from the French "plat") that meant a
flat area. In a derived sense, "plat" could be a plan of an area of
land. The idea of a plot of cultivated ground has fallen out of use
in British English except very rarely in the phrase "hazel plat" but
"plat" remains current in the US for a map or diagram showing the
boundaries of plots on a site.

OH! FUCHSIA!  A Guardian article about the Labour Party conference
misspelled the name of the plant as "fuschia"; the following day, a
correction appeared: "Not always is the Guardian faithful to the
memory of Bavarian-born botanist Leonhart Fuchs (1501-1566), for
whom the fuchsia is named". The next day, a letter was published
from a retired Scottish professor: "In my family, we have a mnemonic
for remembering how to spell fuchsia: it's the only other word in
the dictionary that begins with fuc."

Neat. But if I may exercise my pedantry for a moment, a number of
other words appear in several of my dictionaries to separate shrub
from salacity, though if the prof had included the word "common" he
would have been unassailable. They include FUCIVOROUS, feeding on
seaweed, and FUCHSITE, a brilliant green mica mineral, named after
another Fuchs, of the early nineteenth century. The Oxford English
Dictionary has several other less common words, including FUCAL,
specious or fair-seeming.

4. Q and A: Punt
Q. I have tried, vainly, to discover the relationships among "punt"
(a flat-bottomed boat), "punt" (a tactic in American football), and
"punt" (the dimple in the bottom of a wine bottle). Can you help
with this mystery? [Peter Ingerman]

A. To respond with another question, I'd be interested to know why
you might think a connection exists between them? Some background
may help to explain what I'm getting at.

English is rife with words that are confusingly similar. Some are
spelled differently but have the same sound (homophones), such as
"break/brake", "heal/heel", "cereal/serial"; others are spelled the
same but pronounced differently (homographs), such as "entrance",
"invalid", "moped", or "wound". A third set (homonyms) - to which
your group belongs - combine the similarities: they are said and
spelled the same, but have different meanings: "bear", "distemper",
"founder", "plain", "saw", "tender".

Native speakers are so used to them that we aren't in the least
bothered that "rest" can mean both repose and remainder, that a bank
may be both a financial institution and a place where the wild thyme
blows, or that - lacking context - "spring" might refer to a jump, a
rivulet or a season. Whole dictionaries have been dedicated to
resolving confusions between such words for learners of English as a
second language.

One reason why we have so many homonyms is that English is a mongrel
language that has imported words from many sources, sometimes more
than once, and has frequently modified them to generate new senses.
Its utter lack of purity has been well expressed:

    The problem with defending the purity of the English
    language is that English is about as pure as a cribhouse
    whore. We don't just borrow words; on occasion, English
    has pursued other languages down alleyways to beat them
    unconscious and rifle their pockets for new vocabulary.

    [James Nicoll, in rec.arts.sf-lovers, 1990. Mr Nicoll
    is a Canadian freelance games and science-fiction
    reviewer.]

The result is that sets of homonyms rarely have a common source. An
exception is the common senses of "rap" - a quick blow, a knocking
sound, a type of popular music, talk or gossip, a commendation, a
rebuke, a criminal charge - which all do seem to derive from the
idea of a tap or blow.

Your word "punt" demonstrates this hybrid nature. The sense of the
flat-bottomed boat comes from Latin "ponto" (which, at the risk of
sending us on another homonym chase, is also where "pontoon" comes
from); the sense of the hollow in the bottom of a bottle may be from
"pontil", originally a French word for the iron rod that's used to
hold or shape soft glass; the OED says it means a little point, but
my French etymological dictionaries argue that it's a little bridge
("pont", from the Latin "pons"); the sense in Rugby or American
Football for releasing the ball from the hands and giving it a kick
before it reaches the ground may be from "punt", to push forcibly,
perhaps from the idea of pushing with a punt pole; it may also be
linked with "bunt" - of unknown origin - to strike, knock or push,
which is the source of the baseball term for gently tapping a
pitched ball without swinging the bat.

There are other senses of "punt" beyond the three you've given. It
might be a bet or gamble (hence the British English "punter" for a
person who gambles or makes a risky investment), which dictionaries
cautiously suggest may be from French "ponter", to bet against the
bank in games of cards; before the Irish joined the Euro they had a
monetary unit called the punt, which seems to be a variant form of
"pound"; the mainly Commonwealth "punt around", to move around in an
aimless or easy-going manner, is said to be from one-time British
police slang for patrolling, which in turn probably comes from the
idea of leisure punting.

David Elwen encountered a Daily Mail headline on 7 October: "Sharon
Osbourne reveals she had her breast implants removed on chat show."
He commented that, thankfully, he missed the programme.

A sign at the Slimbridge Wetland Centre that I came across earlier
this week read: "Please ensure this gate is closed at all times." I
had to abandon logic to pass through it.

The Guardian's page one headline on 29 September was submitted by
Maurice Raraty: "Universities still failing poor students". His
comment: "I should hope so!"

Roger Beale communicated: "In a guide to Montacute House, a National
Trust property, I read the astonishing assertion that 'Death was
commonplace in the 1700s'. It went on to tell of a mistress of the
house who died in her 20s, so I suppose they had meant to say
'premature death...'."

This e-magazine is also available as an RSS feed, whose source is at
http://www.worldwidewords.org/rss/newsletter.xml .

* Comments on e-magazine mailings are always welcome. They should
  Submissions will usually be acknowledged.
* Questions intended to be answered in the Q and A section should
  be addressed to wordsquestions at worldwidewords.org (please don't
  me asking for simple subscription changes you can do yourself.

The World Wide Words e-magazine and website are free, but if you

World Wide Words is copyright (c) Michael Quinion 2011. All rights
reserved. The Words website is at http://www.worldwidewords.org .
You may reproduce brief extracts from this e-magazine in mailing
lists, newsletters or newsgroups online, provided that you include
the copyright notice given above. Reproduction of substantial parts
of items in printed publications or websites needs permission from
the editor beforehand (wordseditor at worldwidewords.org).