World Wide Words -- 22 Oct 11

Fri Oct 21 16:25:59 UTC 2011

WORLD WIDE WORDS         ISSUE 759          Saturday 22 October 2011
Author/editor: Michael Quinion       US advisory editor: Julane Marx
Website: http://www.worldwidewords.org                ISSN 1470-1448

     A formatted version of this e-magazine is available
     online at http://www.worldwidewords.org/nl/rkma.htm

     Now on Twitter: http://twitter.com/wwwordseditor

     This e-magazine is best viewed in a fixed-pitch font

LICK-WIMBLE  "'Tosspots, bench-whistlers, and lick-wimbles'", cried
John Orford. "What a beautiful set of fine old words - they convince
me that no word should ever be considered obsolete, even if it be
archaic. I thought we liked old things - why does this not include
words? I propose that a lick-wimble was one on his uppers who had
exhausted the benevolence of his friends and was reduced to licking
those wimbles that had been used to bore into barrels of beer - or
even brandy. There is, of course, absolutely no evidence to back
this up."

GAINSAY  Several readers were reminded of the argument sketch in
Monty Python's Flying Circus, in which the customer says: "Argument
is an intellectual process. Contradiction is just the automatic
gainsaying of anything the other person says." Ed Vanderkloet
recalled, "That's probably the only time I've encountered the word
'gainsaying' and I've remembered it for decades, so I suppose you
could conclude that comedy can be educational."

Stephen Brown commented, "I was surprised in a way to see that
'gainsay', which feels a perfectly normal word to me, made it into
the bulletin at all, but that probably says more about me than the
newsletter! However, I expected the noun 'gainsayers' to feature in
the examples of its use, since this way of referring to a group of
(perhaps frustrating) opponents strikes me as one of the more common
ways the word appears."

2. Weird Words: Cascabel  /'ka:sk at bel/
You might judge the age and geographical origin of a dictionary by
looking up the definition of this word. Modern ones, especially
those with an American focus, are most likely to tell you it's the
name of a medium-hot chilli (though, being American, they will spell
it chili). Older ones, especially British, will more commonly say
it's the knob on the back end of a muzzle-loading cannon.

The source in both cases is the same, the Spanish "cascabel", which
means a little round bell, a child's rattle, or a rattlesnake. Its
origin is unknown, though it has been suggested it may be from the
medieval Latin "cascabellus", a little bell, or Latin "scabellum", a
kind of castanet played with the foot, which may be a diminutive of
"caccabus", a pot. The chilli was given its name by the Spanish in
America because when dried the seeds inside rattle when it's shaken.
The Spanish also named the protrusion on the cannon, from its shape.
(It's there, by the way, so ropes or slings can be attached when the
cannon is being moved.)

The most famous association of cascabel is with the Victoria Cross,
the highest British honour for bravery. It has often been claimed
that all the crosses ever awarded have been cast from the bronze
cascabels of two cannon captured from the Russians during the
Crimean War of the 1850s, though recent research has thrown doubt on
this.

3. Wordface
FROM JOURNEY FAR  An English MP, Sir Peter Bottomley, having had a
discussion over dinner about word origins, asked me to clarify.
Could I confirm that TUNDRA doesn't come from Finnish? A hunt in the
dustier corners of my online and offline libraries turned up the
information that the word was imported from Russian in the early
nineteenth century (the OED says 1841, but that entry is old and I
found it in a travel work, Narrative of a Pedestrian Journey through
Russia and Siberian Tartary by John Dundas Cochrane, dated 1824).
Captain Cochrane spelled the word the French way, as "toundra", and
some further delving confirmed that the word was known in French
before English. It may have been imported from that language, though
parallel introduction is also possible. Russian got the term from
the Sami people, who live in northern Norway, Sweden, Finland and
western Russia. The direct source was Kildin Sami, spoken around
Kola, near Murmansk. Though Sami belongs to the same language family
as Finnish and "tunturi" in the latter language is related, the
source of "tundra" isn't Finnish. So transmission was from Sami to
Russian and then to English, possibly via French. As an aside,
"tundra" is the only word in English which is known for sure to
derive from Sami.

MEDICAL CURIOSITY  I recently mentioned the anatomical snuffbox, a
small depression on the wrist that was once a convenient place to
put a pinch of snuff for snorting up one's nose. I've now found
another odd medical term, WAITER'S TIP for a neurological condition
that's caused by damage to one of the nerves in the neck. The arm is
limp and the elbow straight but the wrist is bent over. It reminded
doctors of the posture of a waiter taking a backhanded tip. The
official name seems to be Erb's palsy.

4. Q and A: Wildcat strike
Q. Where did the phrase "wildcat strike" originate? That it means an
illegal strike of some kind is known, but I cannot find out where it
originated. [Desmond Klein]

A. The term began to appear in the US at the beginning of the last
century. This is an early example:

    Unions in all the building trades are rapidly voting in
    favor of the proposed Structural Building Trades Alliance
    of America, which aims to combine 500,000 workers in one
    compact body. The object is to put a stop to "wildcat"
    strikes.
    [Daily Gazette And Bulletin (Williamsport, PA), 19 Apr.
    1904.]

It's a late example of an idiomatic phrase that includes "wildcat".
In Europe this refers to a wild variety of the domestic feline, but
in North America it's been applied to a couple of larger cats. One
is the Canadian lynx; the other has more names than any one species
surely has a right to - among them puma, mountain lion, catamount,
cougar and panther.

In Britain, "wild cat" became a term for a  savage, ill-tempered, or
spiteful person and this sense was carried over into North America
but became attached to the native big cats of the continent. In the
nineteenth century it extended to any untamed or unreliable person,
or someone who undertakes a risky or unsafe project, especially one
that preys on innocent people.

The earliest use from which all others followed was "wildcat bank".
Such banks flourished in the period before 1863 when states were
allowed to set them up. They issued banknotes; at the time, these
were promissory notes, convenient IOUs exchangeable at the issuing
bank for real money called specie - coins, especially gold. Some
technically still are - over the signature of the chief cashier,
Bank of England notes quaintly say "I promise to pay the bearer on
demand the sum of ...". Banks frequently issued far more banknotes
than they had capital to redeem them. A run on the bank could ruin
them and many ended their short lives that way.

When Michigan became a state in 1837, it went further than most by
allowing banks to be established without specific permission from
the state government. Criminals flourished. This is an extract from
a letter from a firm in Detroit to one of its customers:

    We have had nearly sixty new Banks start into operation
    within about the last three months. They are called the
    "Wild Cat Banks" - the notes they issue are called "Wild
    Cat Money" - our state is full of it; if you take Five
    dollars to-day, perhaps to-morrow, four of the five may be
    good for nothing - a dollar in specie is almost as rare as
    a swallow in mid-winter.
    [Rutland Herald (Rutland, Virginia), 20 Mar. 1838.]

Two stories are told about the origin of the term. One says that
notes issued by one of those early Michigan banks featured a drawing
of a panther. I can't corroborate that. It seems unlikely because
the term appeared too widely and too soon after statehood for it to
be associated with a specific bank. The other story seems more
probable, that banks were deliberately set up in out-of-the-way
places, thought of as haunts of wildcats, to restrict the number of
banknote holders who sought to redeem them. This fitted the
prevailing view that human wildcats were cunning, stealthy
predators, like the wild animal. This is one view from personal
experience:

    Some thirty banks or more were the fungous growth of
    the new political hot-bed; and many of these were of
    course without a "local habitation," though they might
    boast the "name," it may be of some part of the deep
    woods, where the wild cat had hitherto been the more
    formidable foe to the unwary and defenceless. Hence the
    celebrated term "Wild Cat".
    [A New Home - Who'll Follow? or, Glimpses of Western
    Life, by Caroline Matilda Kirkland (Mrs Mary Clavers),
    1839.]

A writer to the New York Tribune in April 1841 sarcastically
outlined rules for a successful new bank, among them that its grand
offices should be in the middle of town but that "Redemption [was]
to be somewhere in the backwoods that a catamount could not climb to
without breaking his neck".

Later in the century, the term was applied more widely and loosely,
for example to an extra train running outside the normal schedule,
to itinerant theatrical troupes who picked up engagements as they
toured and to distillers of moonshine whisky. It came most commonly
to be used (as it still is) for speculators who explored for oil
away from areas of known reserves.

    When an operator goes into an undeveloped field, and
    puts down a test well, he naturally desires to have the
    profit of his risk. It costs him something like $6,000 to
    put down that wildcat well, for which in most cases, he
    gets no return, for the majority of wildcat wells produce
    nothing.
    [The Sun (New York), 17 Jul 1883.]

The rare successful finds were "wildcat strikes", which by their
nature were unexpected. This last term began to appear in print in
the early 1900s and it seems it was almost immediately transferred,
possibly unconsciously but perhaps as a bitter joke, to a sudden and
undisciplined downing of tools.

Neil Hesketh wrote, "My brother, who works for the US Department of
Agriculture, sent me a Daily Tech article dated 13 October with the
headline 'Ethanol Production Used More Corn than Farmers in Past
Year'. Being an agricultural scientist, he confirms that corn is
more useful than farmers for making ethanol, although farmers are
fairly good at making corn."

"A grammatical error in the first sentence of the book!" complained
Brian Miller. The book was The Slap by Christos Tsiolkas and the
sentence was: "His eyes still shut, a dream dissolving and already
impossible to recall, Hector's hand sluggishly reached across the
bed."

A colourful permanent sign recently erected close to my home reads
in part: "Streamside signage produced by Castle School studens, in
conjunction with Thornbury Town Council. For more imformation on the
walk please use leaflet available from the Town Hall." Count the
errors.

Bruce Napier e-mailed, "The more I hear about News International,
the scarier it gets." He referred to a piece of 17 October in The
Independent about the influence of the Murdoch press on Home Office
policy. It said: "The 'Sarah's Law' campaign was started by the
newspaper under the editorship of Rebekah Brooks and was continued
by her predecessors."

"That's some dense shark meat!" commented Robbie Gibson, having seen
this sentence in a Yahoo! UK news report about shark fins: "At up to
300lbs a kilo, they are increasingly popular with China's new rich."

Laurence Horn noted on the American Dialect Society list that on
Thursday the Huffington Post had the headline "Muammar Gaddafi
Killed, Captured In Sirte". Jesse Sheidlower of the OED noted, "We
should celebrate this. It's not often one gets to use the term
'hysteron-proteron', after all."

This e-magazine is also available as an RSS feed, whose source is at
http://www.worldwidewords.org/rss/newsletter.xml .

* Comments on e-magazine mailings are always welcome. They should
  Submissions will usually be acknowledged.
* Questions intended to be answered in the Q and A section should
  be addressed to wordsquestions at worldwidewords.org (please don't
  me asking for simple subscription changes you can do yourself.

The World Wide Words e-magazine and website are free, but if you

World Wide Words is copyright (c) Michael Quinion 2011. All rights
reserved. The Words website is at http://www.worldwidewords.org .
You may reproduce brief extracts from this e-magazine in mailing
lists, newsletters or newsgroups online, provided that you include
the copyright notice given above. Reproduction of substantial parts
of items in printed publications or websites needs permission from
the editor beforehand (wordseditor at worldwidewords.org).