World Wide Words -- 02 Jun 12

Fri Jun 1 17:06:05 UTC 2012

WORLD WIDE WORDS            ISSUE 787           Saturday 2 June 2012
     This mailing also contains an HTML-formatted version.
          Settings in your e-mail viewer will determine
               which version you see by default.

      A formatted version of this e-magazine is available
      online at http://www.worldwidewords.org/nl/beov.htm

1. Feedback, Notes and Comments.
2. Weird Words: Godwottery.
3. Wordface.
4. Q and A: Redd.
5. Sic!
6. Useful information.

1. Feedback, Notes and Comments
NO ROOM TO SWING A CAT  Victoria Solt Dennis e-mailed: "Swinging
real live cats was once commonplace in England, and it wasn't
a 'child's cruel game' but an adult sport. Brewer's Phrase & Fable
of 1898 remarks: "Swinging cats as a mark for sportsmen was at one
time a favourite amusement. There were several varieties of this
diversion. Sometimes two cats were swung by their tails over a rope.
Sometimes a cat was swung to the bough of a tree in a bag or sack.
Sometimes it was enclosed in a leather bottle." Shakespeare alluded
to this last method in Much Ado About Nothing, Act 1 Scene 1: "If I
do, hang me in a bottle like a cat and shoot at me"' but I wonder
about the other supposed games. Was this an instance of Ebenezer
Cobham being as unreliable a reporter as he so often was? I suspect
so.

I've also now discovered that the expression occurs in exactly its
modern form in Medela Pestilentiae (To Cure the Plague) by Richard
Kephale, dated 1665: "One house I know more especially by Cursitors-
Alley, where the Man, his Wife and Childe liv'd in a Room that
look'd more like, for bigness, a big Chest than any thing else: They
had not space enough (according to the vulgar saying) to swing a Cat
in; so hot by reason of the closeness, and so nastily kept besides,
that it took away a mans breath to put his head but within the
doors."

I've updated the discussion at http://wwwords.org?NRTSAC .

2. Weird Words: Godwottery
On Christmas Eve 1940, The Times presented readers with its usual
seasonal set of general knowledge questions. One question asked for
a definition and derivation of the word "godwottery". This was a bit
cheeky on the part of the compilers, as the word had appeared in
print for the first time only in 1936 and must have been unknown to
most readers.

Three days later it offered the definition "Contemptuous term for a
type of sentimental writing." As Evelyn Waugh's foreign editor in
Scoop would have said, "Up to a point, Lord Copper". One sense of
the word does indeed refer to language, but to the employment of
deliberately archaic vocabulary. That sense was used - possibly for
the first time - by the successful British author Norah Lofts in her
book Out of This Nettle of 1938 (published in the US under the title
Colin Lowrie). In an author's note she said, "I have written this
so-called historical novel in so-called modern language", hoping
that her readers "will appreciate this lack of 'God-wottery'."

However, the two earliest examples that I know of are connected not
with literature but with gardening. This is one:

    There is no need to descend to Godwottery, or even to
    know the difference between an aquilegia and an
    antirrhinum, in order to be enthralled by the ingenious
    and lovely shape, colour and texture - to say nothing of
    scent - which surround you.
    [Try Anything Twice, by Jan Struther, 1938.]

Godwottery for gardeners means an exaggeratedly elaborate creation
that jumbles together incompatible styles and materials with kitsch
decorations. In August 1969, the Guardian described such a garden:
"Cotswold stone retaining walls; vaguely Spanish wrought iron gates;
'crazy' paving, nowadays often coloured yellow, green, and pink;
plainly irregular ponds, now usually of pale blue fibreglass, fed by
streams of impossible source; gnomes, fairies, and animals, usually
plastic."

This meaning comes by linguistic legerdemain from a short poem, My
Garden, written by the Manxman Thomas Brown in 1876 while he was a
schoolmaster at Clifton College in Bristol. We remember now, if at
all, only its first line, "A garden is a lovesome thing, God wot."
Thereby Brown was himself perpetrating godwottery by making use of
an archaic verb.

The verb is "wit", to know, one of the more irregular verbs in the
language: "wot" is the present tense and "wist" the past. So "God
wot" means "God knows". The only survival of the verb is the formal
"to wit", meaning "that is to say", introducing an explanation of
something that has gone before.

Both senses of "godwottery" survive, both with and without a hyphen,
though it was never much used and has largely fallen out of favour.
Its constituency divides neatly in two, with writers on gardening
using one of the related senses and literary critics the other.

3. Wordface
CRIMPING CRIMINALS' STYLE  Crimbo came into being in the UK in the
1980s as a humorous, deliberately childish term for Christmas, a
version of the slightly older Crimble. It's now well established,
though slightly cringe-making for many of us Brits who encounter it
unprepared. Crimbo was seized upon by journalists when the British
Home Secretary, Teresa May, published a government criminal justice
white paper on 22 May. This proposes replacing ASBOs, Antisocial
Behaviour Orders, with CBOs, Criminal Behaviour Orders. CBOs were at
once dubbed CRIMBOS; the term is certain to catch on and may cause
some confusion around December. Having learned all that, you're
equipped to puzzle out the tortuous headline that appeared in the
tabloid Daily Star on 27 May, which makes one wonder whether the
crossword compiler was standing a shift as a subeditor: MOTHER
CRIMBO MAY AN ASBEEN.

THIS WAY TO THE EGRESS  The turmoil in the Eurozone over the fragile
state of the Greek economy and the increasing likelihood that the
country will be forced to abandon the Euro has generated a jargon
term: GREXIT, short for "Greek exit". It is still mainly found in
British newspapers but has spread to the US in the Washington Post,
NPR and other media. Among its earliest appearances, in February,
the Irish Times and the Guardian both said that it had been coined
by the Citi chief economist Willem Buiter, presumably in reference
to his use of it in Citi's Global Economics View of 6 February.

BANG, BANG, GONE  Michael Hocken asked me about BANGING OUT, which
he read in a report in The Times on Thursday. Richard Wallace and
Tina Weaver, the editors of the Daily Mirror and Sunday Mirror, had
been dismissed the day before with immediate effect. On leaving the
office for the last time Mr Wallace was ritually BANGED OUT by his
colleagues, who thumped their desks with suitably heavy objects.
When the staff of the News of the World filed out following its
final edition in July 2011, the editor, Colin Myler, observed the
same tradition by striking a desk with a ruler as each passed him.
Robert Waterhouse, a journalist of long experience, tells me that it
was originally a print-workers' custom from the time when newspaper
pages were set using metal type. "In those days of hot metal, the
compositors - the only people allowed to touch anything in the
composing room - traditionally and ritually banged any metal surface
with lead or other metal to mark events such as people leaving; the
practice later spread to journalists." He recalls, "I was the stone
sub [who made the final corrections and cuts after the pages were
composed] of the final foreign pages at the Guardian's Manchester
office in August 1976, when live production stopped there. The pages
were dutifully banged out."

4. Q and A: Redd
Q. My mother descended in part from Pennsylvania Dutch immigrants.
One expression that she used throughout my childhood was "read the
table" ("read" being pronounced "red"), meaning clear the table
after a meal. She also used "reading" ("redding"), as in "Your
brother is reading the table". Growing up I assumed that "to read"
meaning "to clear" was related somehow to the archaic English verb
"to ready", ie, to make ready or to prepare. What do you think?
[Rand Lee]

A. I think it's one of the more interesting terms in the American
language with a history that's complicated and often misunderstood.

It's known mainly in Pennsylvania but the Dictionary of American
Regional English records it widely but sporadically across much of
the north-central US and elsewhere, often as the result of out-
migration from that state. As you note, it's said commonly as "red"
but also as "rid" and sometimes "ret". It's usually spelled "redd" -
not least in Redd-Up, an annual springtime city-wide clean-up in
Pittsburgh.

Because of its focus, it has often been assumed to derive from the
speech of its German settlers (as you mentioned, called Pennsylvania
Dutch, where "Dutch" is a mishearing of "Deutsch"). That's in part
because of the Middle Low German "redden", to make ready, put in
order, tidy, organize, pay or settle and the old Dutch verb "redden"
to put right, settle, tidy up or put in order.

However, your suggestion of its origin is much nearer the truth.
"Redd" is an ancient English verb with much the same sense. It is
Scottish, northern Irish (presumably as a result of the plantation
of Scots in Ulster in the seventeenth century) and also northern
English. I've written about it here: http://wwwords.org?RDDP.

Its history is complicated and confusing, since another verb, "rid"
(specifically in the sense of freeing an area from rubbish or
obstacles), and also "rede" - also a Scots term, now rare, with
similar senses to "redd" - have become deeply intertwined with it to
the point at which it's almost impossible to tell their stories
apart. It may indeed be that "ready" is also part of the mix.

The Oxford English Dictionary remarks, at the end of a long note
about the etymology of "redd" in a recently revised entry, "In U.S.
use perhaps partly reinforced by Pennsylvania German, although it is
possible that use in Pennsylvania may simply result from Scots input
in the English of this area." This is supported by some of the DARE
research results from elsewhere in the US, in which the respondents
were of Scots or Ulster descent without German connections.

Whatever its origin, it continues to puzzle out-of-state visitors to
Pennsylvania who unwittingly come across it:

    Recently, an obvious non-native was volunteering her
    services to a charitable organization when the chief
    volunteer suggested that she "redd up" the kitchen.
    "What?" the volunteer replied, looking perplexed. ... They
    eventually got around the conversational roadblock, and
    the volunteer did, indeed, help redd up the kitchen. I
    don't think she realized she was redding, however.
    [Altoona Mirror (Pennsylvania), 14 Feb. 1993.]

"I thought you might like this remarkably apt spelling mistake I saw
recently," Martin Gregory e-mailed. "It comes from a comment added
to an article in the Melbourne Age of 18 May 2012. 'Everything that
increases teachers management time away from the classroom, lessons
their ability to be productive teachers.'"

One for the department of improbable anatomy: "When his vision
returns, he is prone on his back and four perfect porcelain faces
loom in a circle above him." (Quantum Thief, by Hannu Rajaniem,
2010.)

Mike Nease and Gustavo G spotted an interestingly ambiguous headline
in the Seattle Post-Intelligencer on 25 May (it also appeared in
other media outlets): "Hostile crowd on Capitol Hill keeps medics
from stabbing victim."

Gloria Bryant found an intriguing headline in the Seattle Times on
30 May: "After aging 8 years, sommelier wins wine world's top
honor." I'll bet he has a wonderful bouquet.

6. Useful information
you can make yourself, though if problems occur you can e-mail me at
wordssubs at worldwidewords.org. To change your subscribed address,
leave the list or re-subscribe, go to http://wwwords.org?SUBS. This
e-magazine is also available on RSS (http://wwwords.org?RSSFD) and
Twitter (http://wwwords.org?TWTTR). Back issues are available via
http://wwwords.org?BKISS.

E-MAIL CONTACT ADDRESSES: Comments on e-magazine mailings are always
welcome. They should be sent to wordseditor at worldwidewords.org. I do
try to respond, but pressures of time often prevent me from doing
so. Items for the Sic! section should go to sic at worldwidewords.org.
Questions intended to be answered in the Q and A section should be
sent to wordsquestions at worldwidewords.org, not to me directly.

SUPPORT WORLD WIDE WORDS: If you have enjoyed this e-magazine and
would like to help defray its costs and those of the linked Web
site, please visit the support page via http://wwwords.org?SPPRT .

COPYRIGHT: World Wide Words is copyright (c) Michael Quinion 2012. All
rights reserved. You may reproduce this e-magazine in whole or part
in free newsletters, newsgroups or mailing lists or as educational
resources provided that you include the copyright notice above and
give the web address of http://www.worldwidewords.org. Reproduction
of substantial parts of items in printed publications or commercial
websites requires permission from the editor beforehand.