World Wide Words -- 16 Jun 12

Fri Jun 15 15:32:54 UTC 2012

WORLD WIDE WORDS            ISSUE 789          Saturday 16 June 2012
     This mailing also contains an HTML-formatted version.
          Settings in your e-mail viewer will determine
               which version you see by default.

      A formatted version of this e-magazine is available
      online at http://www.worldwidewords.org/nl/cxre.htm

1. Feedback, Notes and Comments.
2. Weird Words: Foison.
3. Wordface.
4. Q and A: Great Wen.
5. Sic!
6. Useful information.

1. Feedback, Notes and Comments
GREEN FERRET  Following last week's Weird Word, Stephen Britt-Hazard
updated the story: "During my service for solicitors as an articled
clerk, and then a managing clerk/litigation executive during the
70s, [ferret] was still a vital article in the clerk's inventory.
Made of cotton dyed bright green, it was universally known as grass
tape or green tape. It was used to ensure that the pages of deeds
and other important documents were secured together in the correct
order, and most importantly that any plan referred to was securely
inserted." I have now found that "grass tape", so named, is listed
for sale on the website of the British legal stationers Oyez.

CORRECTION  Apologies to Geoff Pullum for spelling his name wrong in
the last issue.

2. Weird Words: Foison
Returning home from holiday recently, I was struck by the intense
green of the vegetation and how vigorously it had grown, the result
of our wettest April on record. Shakespeare used "foison" for such
energetic growth ("Earth's increase, foison plenty"), meaning plenty
and abundance.

Etymologists have traced it to Latin "fundere", to pour (a good
description of our April weather). Though French has it still,
English abandoned "foison" well over a century ago, except for a
very few examples of what I recently identified as gotwottery (see
http://wwwords.org?GDWTY):

    Many days they rode that pass of the mountains, though
    it was not always so evil and dreadful as at the first
    beginning; for now again the pass opened out into little
    valleys, wherein was foison of grass and sweet waters
    withal, and a few trees.
    [The Well at the World's End, by William Morris,
    1896.]

A rare modern user is the journalist and politician Boris Johnson,
currently Mayor of London, who may not be to everybody's taste as a
politician but whose English vocabulary is as copious as the word
suggests:

    What did we have, to put next to the rich foison of the
    French dairy? Cheddar, leicester, wensleydale and a
    handful of perhaps seven others: magnificent species, but
    not exactly a tribute to British powers of innovation.
    [Sunday Telegraph, 15 Feb. 2001.]

3. Wordface
LOOKALIKES, FEELALIKES  Sometimes advances in technology look back
too fondly to their precursors. Digital cameras generate the sound
of a mechanical shutter to reassure users that a picture has been
taken. One calendar app has faux-leather covers and graphically
tears off pages for previous months as you step forward. E-book
readers sometimes simulate the turning of pages in a physical book.
These ape older technologies to retain familiarity for the user.
They are one form of SKEUOMORPHISM (Greek "skeuos", a container +
"morphe", form; the first part is said like "skew"), the process of
copying the design of a similar artefact in another material. New
Scientist reported last week that the designers of computer screens
are adding HAPTIC (http://wwwords.org?HPTC) functions, that simulate
the sense of touch, to make digitally generated images of surfaces
not only look like something physical, but feel like it as well.

PHEW!  I came across FUMEHEAD the other day, meaning somebody who
delights in perfumes and loves to track down new varieties. It's an
obvious play on "petrolhead" (motor-car fanatic), "airhead" (a silly
or foolish person) and other terms ending in "-head". Online sources
show that I've come to it rather late, as it has been around for a
couple of years. Other terms for aficionados of such sniffable
stuffs include PERFUMISTAS and SCENTOHOLICS.

WEATHER WAVES  We've become very familiar with the term "tsunami" in
recent years, not least because of the one that devastated part of
Japan last year. Most tsunamis are caused by earthquakes but high
winds in the ocean can generate a series of waves that merge into
one, creating a similar effect when it reaches land. The experts at
the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration in the US call
such an event a METEOTSUNAMI. Another name is GHOST STORM, but don't
confuse that with the B-grade SF movie of the same name.

4. Q and A: Great Wen
Q. I came across a reference in a newspaper last week to the Great
Wen, which appeared to be London. Why that name and where did it
come from? [Betty Thaeder, Toronto]

A. It is indeed a reference to London, an uncomplimentary one. Off
the top of my head, I would have said that it's now almost totally
forgotten other than by historians - Oxford dictionaries mark it as
archaic - except that nobody seems to have told the great British
journalist, who still occasionally finds it a useful mock-eruditism
with which to pepper his prose. Even more curiously, an archive of
British newspapers that I consulted shows that it underwent a mild
revival in the early 2000s.

It's particularly puzzling to many people because they don't know
the meaning of "wen", a word almost as rare as "Great Wen". A wen is
a type of benign tumour, a sebaceous cyst, most commonly found on
the scalp. It's an Old English word of obscure origin, though it's
known to have had parallels in several ancient Germanic languages.

From medieval times, people generalised the idea to refer to any
sort of protrusion and used it figuratively as an insult.

    I do allow this Wen to be as familiar with me, as my
    dogge.
    [Henry IV, Part 2, by William Shakespeare, 1600. Prince
    Hal is referring dismissively to the obese Falstaff.]

In the eighteenth century, it came to refer to cities, London
especially, that had grown hugely following industrialisation and
changes in the rural economy. To many observers, their choked,
noisome and polluted environments did seem like an outgrowth on the
English landscape, which sucked in people and produce from their
hinterlands.

    If therefore the Increase of Building [in London],
    begun at such an early period, was looked upon to be no
    better than a Wen, or Excrescence, upon the Body-Politic,
    what must we think of those numberless streets and squares
    that have been added since?
    [Four Letters on Important National Subjects, by Josiah
    Tucker, 1783. Tucker, an economic theorist, was then Dean
    of Gloucester.]

You might be reminded of a comment by Prince Charles in 1984, when
he referred to a proposed extension to the National Gallery in
London as a "monstrous carbuncle on the face of a much loved and
elegant friend". Two centuries earlier, he would most likely have
called it a wen.

The origin of the fuller phrase "Great Wen" is usually attributed to
the English writer and political reformer William Cobbett:

    But what is to be the fate of the great wen of all? The
    monster called, by the silly coxcombs of the press, "the
    metropolis of the empire"?
    [Rural Rides, by William Cobbett; first published in
    Cobbett's Weekly Register, 5 Jan. 1822.]

Though the term quickly became accepted, it usually appeared as "the
great wen of London". It was only in the 1850s that it started to be
capitalised as the Great Wen, with a reference to London being
assumed.

Jon Ackroyd submitted a headline from the Times Colonist, Victoria,
BC, of 9 June: "Offgassing leaves bad smell in drawers". The story
was about furniture. Of course.

The CHS Capitol Hill Seattle Blog had a headline on 14 April that
puzzled Terri Ise: "The adaptive reuse of Capitol Hill chickadees".
The item made clear that it was the chickadees that were doing the
adapting, of old nests.

6. Useful information
you can make yourself, though if problems occur you can e-mail me at
wordssubs at worldwidewords.org. To change your subscribed address,
leave the list or re-subscribe, go to http://wwwords.org?SUBS. This
e-magazine is also available on RSS (http://wwwords.org?RSSFD) and
Twitter (http://wwwords.org?TWTTR). Back issues are available via
http://wwwords.org?BKISS.

E-MAIL CONTACT ADDRESSES: Comments on e-magazine mailings are always
welcome. They should be sent to wordseditor at worldwidewords.org. I do
try to respond, but pressures of time often prevent me from doing
so. Items for the Sic! section should go to sic at worldwidewords.org.
Questions intended to be answered in the Q and A section should be
sent to wordsquestions at worldwidewords.org, not to me directly.

SUPPORT WORLD WIDE WORDS: If you have enjoyed this e-magazine and
would like to help defray its costs and those of the linked Web
site, please visit the support page via http://wwwords.org?SPPRT .

COPYRIGHT: World Wide Words is copyright (c) Michael Quinion 2012. All
rights reserved. You may reproduce this e-magazine in whole or part
in free newsletters, newsgroups or mailing lists or as educational
resources provided that you include the copyright notice above and
give the web address of http://www.worldwidewords.org. Reproduction
of substantial parts of items in printed publications or commercial
websites requires permission from the author beforehand.