World Wide Words -- 30 Jun 12

Fri Jun 29 15:55:24 UTC 2012

WORLD WIDE WORDS            ISSUE 790          Saturday 23 June 2012
     This mailing also contains an HTML-formatted version.
          Settings in your e-mail viewer will determine
               which version you see by default.

      A formatted version of this e-magazine is available
      online at http://www.worldwidewords.org/nl/mucy.htm

1. Feedback, Notes and Comments.
2. Weird Words: Gamp.
3. Wordface.
4. Q and A: Wag.
5. Sic!
6. Useful information.

1. Feedback, Notes and Comments
WRONG AND WRONGLY  Carolyn Dane commented, "I agree entirely with
your use of 'wrong'. Another instance of the same issue is people
who feel 'badly' about something. As Isaac Asimov said, 'The only
people who feel badly are inept dirty old men.'"

Marc Picard introduced me to a new grammatical term. "Adverbs like
'wrong', 'sure', 'fast', 'slow', etc. actually have a name, as I
discovered recently when one of my students did a paper on this
phenomenon in a course I was giving on the history of English.
They're called 'flat adverbs', presumably on the basis of phrases
like 'to fall flat' or 'to turn down flat'." The Oxford English
Dictionary includes "flat adverb" as first being used by the
philologist John Earle in his work The Philology of the English
Tongue of 1871, though it doesn't explain why he chose it.

A perspective on all such intricacies of English was supplied by
Vivien Allen: "As a teacher of English as a foreign language before
I retired I always read your weekly magazine with great interest.
Today I was reminded of a class at a language school in Cambridge
where I taught at one time. I had been taking my students through
the various pronunciations of '-ough' and had put a list of words
such as 'bough', 'tough' and 'through' on the blackboard. At the end
a German boy sighed deeply and said, 'Mrs Allen, You don't know how
lucky you are being born speaking English'! On another occasion I
congratulated a Dutch student on his excellent English and commented
that the Dutch students always arrived well grounded in the
language. He replied, 'If you are born speaking a language that
sounds like swearing in hiccups you have to be good at English'!"

ON THE EDGE  Several readers provided a further illustration of the
worrisome difficulties of English. They noted that in this section
last time I wrote, "Two comments suggest that I sounded the death
knell on 'Great Wen' too precipitately". They firmly told me that
the word should have been "precipitously". Having written one long
piece last week to justify my choice of adverb, I'm disinclined to
impose another on long-suffering subscribers: the complicated story
of the ways in which the two words have interacted in meaning and
usage would need a substantial and probably boring article. However,
I'm surprised at the comments, since all the dictionaries that I've
consulted give as their first sense of "precipitate" phrases such as
"sudden, hasty, rash" or "done without careful consideration", They
also give one sense of "precipitous" as "hasty or precipitate". Jeff
Kabacinski lightened his gentle criticism by ending his message,
"though it does bring to mind that old chemistry joke, 'If you're
not a part of the solution, you're a part of the precipitate'."

2. Weird Words: Gamp
A new subscriber from Australia told me he had come across the site
through trying to solve a crossword clue in The Age, "1000-ampere
rain shedders". He didn't get any help from the site, because I'd
never written about "gamps", but he solved the clue anyway. (Was the
compiler thinking of a thousand US dollars, a g-note? I'd normally
take the prefix "g" to mean "giga-", a thousand million.)

A gamp is indeed a rain shedder, more prosaically an umbrella, one
particularly suited to this apology for a summer we're currently
having in Britain. But we Brits are inured to rain. As The Times
commented in April 2011, "When the clouds open we will bring out
brollies, beach parasols, golf umbrellas, gamps, sou'westers, oil-
skins, gaberdines and rain-ponchos."

"Brolly" is, all the best authorities assure us, a clipped and
altered form of "umbrella", supposedly beginning its life as
university slang at Oxford and Cambridge in the 1870s (it's also
sometimes known as a brelly, which makes a little more sense). But
"gamp" had preceded it into the printed record for what a writer
described in 1864 as "a large, bulgy, loosely tied cotton umbrella".

We are once again indebted to the fertile mind of Charles Dickens.
Mrs Sarah (Sairey) Gamp appeared in his novel Martin Chuzzlewit in
1846. She had a large umbrella, "in colour like a faded leaf, except
where a circular patch of a lively blue had been dexterously let in
at the top", which entered into so many adventures during the course
of the story that it almost become a character in its own right.

Mrs Gamp, a disreputable drink-sodden widow, first appears when she
is engaged as a night watcher to sit up with the body of Anthony
Chuzzlewit during the week before his funeral; she claimed also to
be a midwife, though she was really what was then called a monthly
nurse, one who stayed with and looked after women for that period
after childbirth. (The modern equivalent is sometimes called a
doula, from the classical Greek word meaning a female slave.)

"Gamp" is not now much used, even in the country of its birth, but
it's still in the dictionaries and it's well enough remembered that
a crossword setter in Australia could base a clue on it and expect
it to be solved.

3. Wordface
NOT LOST BUT REFASHIONED  Tony Chabot wrote that he came across this
sentence in a seventeenth-century letter from Sir Isaac Newton to
Robert Hooke: "I have long grutched the time spent ...". He feels
that GRUTCHED has a wonderful sound to it and that it should be more
commonly used. In Newton's time it was still employed in the sense
of being reluctant to give or allow something, to begrudge, but it
seems to have gone out of mainstream English currency around 1700.
It lasted long enough in a few local dialects for it to be included
in the English Dialect Dictionary at the very end of the nineteenth
century and to be resurrected, temporarily, by Rudyard Kipling in
his Barrack-Room Ballads ("I paid my price for findin' out, / Nor
never grutched the price I paid"). Its origin is the Old French word
"groucier", to murmur or grumble. Our modern "grudge" is an altered
form of it.

BEWARE OF THE INVITATION  One form of online confidence trick is
aimed at scientists and technologists, always eager because of the
pressure to publish to take up invitations to present a paper at a
prestigious conference. E-mail messages and websites advertise a
conference in their field with a personal invitation to take part,
subject only to the usual conference registration fee. A gullible
booker finds too late that the conference doesn't exist - it's a
SCAMFERENCE. The term dates back to the middle of the last decade.

DEUS EX MONETA  For the first time ever, journalists were allowed
into the Vatican Bank this week. They found an ATM in the banking
hall that displayed its messages in Latin. "Deductio ex pecunia"
means "cash withdrawal". But what's the Latin for "international
requirements on financial transparency"?

4. Q and A: Wag
Q. I often hear "to wag off" here in Australia - meaning to cut
classes - and thought it was an Australianism. However it seems to
have been in use in England at the end of the nineteenth century, as
James K Jerome uses it in Three Men on the Bummel. Any ideas on its
derivation? [Malcolm Sealy]

A. It's rather older than Jerome. It certainly is British, having
been first recorded here:

    "My misfortunes all began in wagging, Sir; but what
    could I do, exceptin' wag?" "Excepting what?" said Mr
    Carker. "Wag, Sir. Wagging from school." "Do you mean
    pretending to go there, and not going?" said Mr Carker.
    "Yes, Sir, that's wagging, Sir."
    [Dombey and Son, by Charles Dickens, 1848]

My wife remembers taking a day off when she was a student teacher at
a London school in the 1960s and being asked the following day by a
child, "Was you hoppin' the wag, Miss?" That's recorded a century
earlier, from the 1860s. Other formulations have been documented:

    The most general term for truancy seems to be "to play
    hookey" (an Americanism which became naturalized around
    1900), although very often, particularly in the north,
    young ne'er-do-wells use the older phrases "playing wag",
    "playing the wag", "hopping the wag", "wagging school", or
    "wagging it", speaking with the same tongue boys used in
    the time of Dickens.
    [The Lore and Language of School-children, by Iona and
    Peter Opie, 1967.]

My impression is that "wag" in its various forms is still known in
the UK, though it's local. Around here in Gloucestershire, "skiving"
and "bunking off" are usual. I remember Sir Paul McCartney a couple
of years ago referring to "sagging off" school during his Liverpool
childhood. "Nobbing", "dodging", "plunking" and "twagging" are also
known in various parts of the UK. The last one is fairly recent and
some writers have suggested that it derives from "wag".

Otherwise, we use the verb "wag" these days almost exclusively to
mean moving something rapidly from side to side (or up and down): a
dog wags its tail, a person may wag his finger as a warning or a
reprimand, or gossips may wag their tongues. This is ancient: it
appears in the fourteenth-century poem Piers Plowman by William
Langland, though he meant by it a boat rocking from side to side
(it's from Old English "waggian", to shake).

Earlier still it could mean to move one's limbs with difficulty, to
totter, stagger, or walk unsteadily. The mental picture of side-to-
side movement may have emerged from this. The Dictionary of American
Regional Usage records "wag" from some parts of the US in the sense
of staggering along, especially under a heavy load, and so to carry
something heavy. A person who was swinging from a rope after being
hanged was at one time said to be wagging, which led to "waghalter"
for a man who was going to be hanged, or deserved to be. Though the
evidence is indecisive, it may have been abbreviated back to "wag"
and softened to mean a mischievous prankster or youth - hence "wag"
for a facetious person or practical joker. (Recent "wag" for a wife
or girlfriend is an acronym.)

The unsteady walking sense evolved into wandering about from place
to place or moving away from some place, especially with difficulty
or under pressure to remain. The idea of truancy evolved from this,
though uncertainty about the source of the mischievous youth sense
of "wag" leaves the experts uncertain whether it might be from
"waghalter" instead.

This appeared in the New York Times magazine on 17 June, Sarabell
Stoll tells us. "When Pablo Escobar was Chapo's age, he had been
dead for more than a decade."

An article in the Guardian on 23 June described a possible reaction
of a hospital patient seeing a clergyman approaching his bed. "Is he
here to give me the last rights?" Unfortunately, the writer was
Giles Fraser, formerly Canon Chancellor of St Paul's Cathedral.

On 19 June the Australian Government released a report, catchily
entitled Post Implementation Review of the VET FEE-HELP Assistance
Scheme. Gavin Moodie found this sentence in it: "Consideration also
needs to be given to the role played by other relevant bodies to
ensure, where possible, ongoing alignment in policy and minimisation
of regulatory duplicity."

A report on ABC News online on 27 June interested Brian Barratt.
Below the headline, "Cops scour Darwin bush for beheading suspect",
one line read "Police cars are patrolling the area, and a chopper is
circling above." Add your own punchline.

Raymond Noë wrote from The Netherlands concerning a headline he had
seen in the New York Daily News of 26 June: "Reading books will help
shorten Brazilian prisoners' sentences". But as he says, improved
literacy may equally result in their sentences getting longer.

6. Useful information
you can make yourself, though if problems occur you can e-mail me at
wordssubs at worldwidewords.org. To change your subscribed address,
leave the list or re-subscribe, go to http://wwwords.org?SUBS. This
e-magazine is also available on RSS (http://wwwords.org?RSSFD) and
Twitter (http://wwwords.org?TWTTR). Back issues are available via
http://wwwords.org?BKISS.

E-MAIL CONTACT ADDRESSES: Comments on e-magazine mailings are always
welcome. They should be sent to wordseditor at worldwidewords.org. I do
try to respond, but pressures of time often prevent me from doing
so. Items for the Sic! section should go to sic at worldwidewords.org.
Questions intended to be answered in the Q and A section should be
sent to wordsquestions at worldwidewords.org, not to me directly.

SUPPORT WORLD WIDE WORDS: If you have enjoyed this e-magazine and
would like to help defray its costs and those of the linked Web
site, please visit the support page via http://wwwords.org?SPPRT .

COPYRIGHT: World Wide Words is copyright (c) Michael Quinion 2012. All
rights reserved. You may reproduce this e-magazine in whole or part
in free newsletters, newsgroups or mailing lists or as educational
resources provided that you include the copyright notice above and
give the web address of http://www.worldwidewords.org. Reproduction
of substantial parts of items in printed publications or commercial
websites requires permission from the author beforehand.