World Wide Words -- 05 Jan 13

Fri Jan 4 20:34:11 UTC 2013

WORLD WIDE WORDS          ISSUE 813          Saturday 5 January 2013
       This mailing also contains an HTML-formatted version.
          A formatted version is also available online at
             http://www.worldwidewords.org/nl/coan.htm

1. Feedback, Notes and Comments
Happy New Year. Thanks for your patience during my absence in
December.

In the last issue, dated 1 December, I wrote about "maggot" in its
sense of a whimsical or eccentric idea. Many readers told me that a
musical association also exists - some seventeenth and eighteenth
century country dances include it in their titles, usually linked to
a person's name, such as Mr Isaac's Maggot, Huntington's Maggot,
Hill's Maggot, Betty's Maggot, and Mr Beveridge's Maggot.

Other readers mentioned that figurative senses of "maggot" are still
in active use in Ireland. Roger O'Keeffe noted that it's a term of
abuse for an undesirable person and that many readers may know it in
that sense from the British Christmas favourite, Fairytale of New
York by the Pogues. Others mentioned the Irish "acting the maggot",
playing the fool.

Following my snippet about "torrefy" in the 24 November issue, Peter
Rugg mentioned Carwardine's Tea and Coffee House in Bristol, which
once boasted the slogan, "The Liquefaction of our Torrefaction
Always Brings Satisfaction". Chas Blacker wrote from Somerset, "A
Bristol University student production of Macbeth once replaced the
line 'the multitudinous seas incarnadine' with an admiring 'the
multitudinous teas in Carwardine's'."

The World Wide Words website has been nominated for the Macmillan
Dictionary Love English Awards 2012. http://wwwords.org?MMDB . You
may like to vote. (You will need to scroll down almost to the bottom
- it's a long list of nominations!) Voting closes on 21 January.

2. Words of the Year 2012
The selection by Oxford Dictionaries of "omnishambles" as its Word
of the Year was noted in a previous issue. The US branch of Oxford
Dictionaries curiously chose the verb "gif" (said as "jif"), meaning
to create an image using the Graphics Interchange Format, GIF, which
celebrated its 25th anniversary in 2012.

The British dictionary publisher Collins waited until 20 December to
announce its own words of the year. Rather than one for the whole of
2012, its editors chose one for each month, selected from words
submitted to its online dictionary by members of the public. The
publishers admit that several don't have the staying power to be
worth adding to the print edition. My own guess is that at least 11
of the 12 will soon become footnotes in lexicographical history.

Among these also-rans were June's choice of "Jubilympics", a word I
can't remember having seen in print, a blend combining references to
the Queen's Diamond Jubilee and to the Olympics. May's word was from
the US: "Zuckered", a play on "suckered", an allusion to Mark
Zuckerberg's less than successful offering of shares in Facebook.
One that became better known, at least in the UK, was "games makers"
for the 70,000 volunteers who helped make the Olympics run smoothly.
"Mummy porn" (or "mommy porn") came into being through the success
of the erotic novel Fifty Shades of Grey, its sequels and imitators.
The term "Gangnam Style" experienced an explosion in exposure after
the video in November by the South Korean Psy, whose weird dance
became YouTube's most popular clip. It was only appropriate that
Collins's choice for December was "fiscal cliff", a melodramatic but
effective pejorative term for the huge reduction in US government
spending and increase in taxes that was narrowly, if temporarily,
averted at the last minute.

The biggest yearly wordfest is that of the American Dialect Society,
on whose heads lie responsibility for the whole fashion for words of
the year, since they thought of it first. Their annual conference is
in Boston this week and their vote for the words of 2012 was held as
usual yesterday evening (Friday) in its usual semi-seriousness and
high humour. Also as usual, nominations were put forward for terms
(words or phrases) in various categories, followed by selecting the
overall Word of the Year.

The first chosen was the Most Useful word of the year, which proved
to be neither a word nor a phrase but two suffixes, "-(po)calypse"
and "(ma)geddon", which were described as "hyberbolic combining
forms for various catastrophes", such as "snowmageddon" (first used
for the blizzard of February 2010) and "alpacalypse" (for the Mayan
prophesy that the world would end on 21 December; the first part is
from "alpaca", a poor choice since alpacas are South American, while
the Mayans were a Central American civilisation). The winning Most
Creative term was "gate lice", airline passengers who crowd around a
gate waiting to board. In the Most Likely To Succeed category, I
expected "fiscal cliff" to be a runaway winner, but by 156 votes to
8, the winner was "marriage equality", in reference to the legal
recognition of same-sex marriage.

One term, "legitimate rape", managed to win in two categories, Most
Unnecessary and Most Outrageous, both appropriate descriptions of
the extraordinary suggestion by the Missouri Senate candidate Todd
Akin that women can't get pregnant after "legitimate rape", a view
that lost him the election. The Most Euphemistic term of the year,
"self-deportation" (the policy of making life so hard for illegal
immigrants that they voluntarily leave the country), was highlighted
by Mitt Romney's use of it during the presidential primary campaign.
There was a special section for Election Word of the Year, which was
won by the nomination from the floor of "binders full of women", the
unfortunate comment by Mitt Romney during the second presidential
debate that while he was governor of Massachusetts he asked for more
women suitable for public office and was offered binders full of
them.

There was a run-off vote in the Least Likely to Succeed class
between "phablet" (an electronic device halfway between a smartphone
and a tablet in size) and the write-in candidate "YOLO" (short for
"you only live once", a Twitter acronym among young people that is
not so much about living life to the full but more about brash
decisions and unthinking risks - "driving hands-free at 100mph!
YOLO!"). A cry came from the audience at this point, "They're both
stupid!", to which came the reply "That's the whole point!" The
audience agreed, making them joint winners.

The Word of the Year, after much voting in a packed auditorium, was
none of these, but "hashtag", a write-in from the audience, which is
a word or phrase prefixed with the # symbol (usually called "hash"
in the US) which identified keywords or topics in Twitter messages.
It narrowly beat "marriage equality".

The ADS shares its conference with the American Name Society, which
since 2004 has chosen its Names of the Year. Two terms we've already
met were runners-up: "Gangnam", which belongs here because the style
is named after an affluent district of Seoul in South Korea, and
"fiscal cliff", which was voted Trade Name of the Year (not because
it is one but because the category title is a catch-all for anything
that doesn't fit other categories). Lovers of British period TV soap
opera will be pleased to learn that the choice for fictional name of
the year was Downton Abbey. The 2012 overall winner in the onomastic
stakes was "Sandy", a name that was burned into the brains of East
Coast Americans through the hurricane (call it a superstorm if you
want another trendy word of 2012) which devastated New Jersey and
New York in late October.

LINKS
Collins Words of the Year: http://wwwords.org?CLWD
Omnishambles: http://wwwords.org?OMSB and http://wwwords.org?OMNSM
Gif: http://wwwords.org?OXGF and http://wwwords.org?OXGF2
American Dialect Society: http://wwwords.org?ADSW
ANS Names of the Year: http://wwwords.org?ANS12

3. Milking
To pour milk over one's own head or that of someone else, either as
a silly prank or a form of protest. The former follows other bizarre
student fashions like planking and owling. Milking became a YouTube
"sensation" in late November 2012, where one jaundiced soul called
it "the latest pointless internet craze". It may have been sparked
off by a protest by dairy farmers in Brussels on 26 November against
the low price of milk and excessive milk quotas, during which the
European Parliament building was sprayed with high-pressure jets of
milk, as were the massed ranks of the local police trying to keep
order. Some prosperous British students are said to have taken the
idea further by creating "champagning" and "porting", a shocking
waste of good liquor.

4. Overweening
A bookish term, it is often found in serious up-market periodicals,
mostly next to nouns such as "power", "ambition" or "pride". It is
not complimentary. A person or group described as overweening may
demonstrate presumptuousness, arrogance, conceit, self-importance or
an excessively high opinion of themselves.

    While I share the general European aversion to the
    overweening US firearms lobby, gun ownership has two
    compelling arguments on its side.
    [The Independent, 18 Dec. 2012.]

The word comes from the older noun and verb "overween". Both have
now almost entirely vanished but were available to the writers of an
earlier age, including John Aubrey in the seventeenth century, who
produced this concisely damning word portrait:

    A better instance of a squeamish, disobligeing,
    slighting, insolent, proud fellow perhaps can't be found
    than in Gwin, the Earle of Oxford's Secretary. No reason
    satisfies him but he overweenes, and cutts some sower
    faces that would turn the milke in a fair ladie's breast.

    [From the collection of essays, not published in his
    lifetime, that are now known as Aubrey's Brief Lives.]

Perhaps one reason why "overween" became unfashionable is that we
lost its second part. "Ween" is Old English, a Germanic form that
survives, for example, in modern German "wähnen", to imagine or to
believe wrongly. In English, it meant to think or surmise. By the
nineteenth century it had ceased to be a common verb and turned up
almost exclusively in the fixed phrase "I ween":

    Of legal knowledge I acquired such a grip
    That they took me into the partnership.
    And that junior partnership, I ween,
    Was the only ship that I ever had seen.
    [HMS Pinafore, by W S Gilbert, 1878.]

5. Elsewhere
The New York Times reports on recent research by Bonnie Taylor-Blake
and Fred Shapiro about the origin of that puzzling American phrase,
"the whole nine yards". It results from what Fred Shapiro calls
"numerical phrase inflation", having found numerous examples from as
far back as 1912 of "the whole six yards". http://wwwords.org?TWNY

The New Yorker tells the story of an amateur linguist, John Quijada,
who invented a language, Ithkuil, on the model of Bishop Wilkins's
Philosophical Language of 350 years before, with the aim of being
maximally precise but also maximally concise. He lost control of it
to a right-wing Russian group. http://wwwords.org?NYLK

Anthony Gardner writes a squib in Intelligent Life, a journal from
the publishers of The Economist, about the increasing tendency for
people to use abstract nouns such as "future", "geography" and
"fiction" in the plural. http://wwwords.org?ANIT

The Main Line Times of Pennsylvania published this verbatim extract
from a police report: "On Dec. 20 shortly before 4 p.m. Lower Merion
police responded to the 200 block of Gypsy Lane in Wynnewood on the
report of a burglary in progress. A description of a white male
wearing a black sweatshirt was observed fleeing the scene." Thanks
to Christopher Hart for sending that.

Barry Nordin found an article on the death of the 1920s child actor
Jack Hanlon in The Huffington Post, though the AP source also turned
up verbatim in other media outlets. It ended, "He will be buried in
Santa Monica, Calif., along with his wife of 37 years, Jean."

"An interesting mental image was raised by a letter in today's
Times," e-mailed Michael Grosvenor Myer on 14 December: "'If we were
ruled two centuries ago by the pressure groups we are today I doubt
if the coal mines would ever have got off the ground.'"

The London Mail online was visited on the same day from New Zealand
by John Neave. He found this court report: "He told Cardiff Crown
Court that he suffers from 'sexomnia' and has a history of trying to
sleep with partners while asleep."

The Guardian of 13 December included this correction: "A review of
Scott Walker's latest album, Bish Bosch, referred to one of its
tracks as SDSS14+3B (Zircon, A Flagpole Sitter). That should of
course have been SDSS1416+13B (Zercon, A Flagpole Sitter)." Of
course.

6. Useful information
you can make yourself, though if problems occur you can e-mail me at
wordssubs at worldwidewords.org. To change your subscribed address,
leave the list or re-subscribe, go to http://wwwords.org?SUBS. This
newsletter is also available on RSS (http://wwwords.org?RSSFD) and
on Twitter (http://wwwords.org?TWTTR). Back issues are available via
http://wwwords.org?BKISS.

E-MAIL CONTACT ADDRESSES: Comments on newsletter mailings are always
welcome. They should be sent to wordseditor at worldwidewords.org. I do
try to respond, but pressures of time often prevent me from doing
so. Items for the Sic! section should go to sic at worldwidewords.org.
Questions intended to be answered in the Q and A section should be
sent to wordsquestions at worldwidewords.org, not to me directly.

SUPPORT WORLD WIDE WORDS: If you have enjoyed this newsletter and
would like to help defray its costs and those of the linked Web
site, please visit the support page via http://wwwords.org?SPPRT .

COPYRIGHT: World Wide Words is copyright (c) Michael Quinion 2013. All
rights reserved. You may reproduce this newsletter in whole or part
in free newsletters, newsgroups or mailing lists or as educational
resources provided that you include the copyright notice above and
give the web address of http://www.worldwidewords.org. Reproduction
of items in printed publications or on commercial websites requires
prior permission from the author.