World Wide Words -- 30 Aug 14

Michael Quinion michael.quinion at WORLDWIDEWORDS.ORG
Thu Aug 28 22:02:00 UTC 2014

World Wide Words
Issue 893: Saturday 30 August 2014

This mailing also contains a formatted version of the text.
This issue is also available online (http://wwwords.org/zscq).

Feedback, Notes and Comments
TWIG IT. Several readers pointed out, following my note last week,
that some reference works, notably Collins Dictionary, give the Gaelic
word "tuig", meaning "I understand", as a possible source of the
idiomatic sense of "twig". Others noted that "twig" more often means
to come to a sudden realisation rather than simply understand. So it's
equivalent to "catch on", and to another British and Commonwealth
idiom, "the penny dropped" (from a penny-in-the-slot machine). As
James Forder pointed out, one doesn't twig the theory of relativity.
But a person might twig that he was being made fun of. And Dorothy
twigged that she and Toto weren't in Kansas anymore.

FOOTLOOSE AND FANCY-FREE. I wrote in the piece last time that "fancy"
had lost its association with physical attraction. I was thinking of
the noun. The verb still has this sense, of course, as in "I really
fancy him", and the noun can have it in phrases like "He took a fancy
to her".

MAILING PROBLEMS. A transmission error meant that more than 4600
subscribers failed to receive the issue of 23 August. I would have
posted a note about this on the website, but the problem also stopped
me receiving error reports. Though the issue persists I hope a work-
round will ensure everybody gets it. If you missed last week's issue
you can read it online here (http://wwwords.org/nbkw) .

Jentacular
Slug-a-beds or slow-waking readers may not appreciate the virtues of
this rare word, and will particularly dislike one of the compounds
formed from it, "ante-jentacular". That's because it's an adjective
that refers to breakfast, especially one taken early in the morning or
immediately after getting up.

It was created near the beginning of the eighteenth century,
presumably by a Latin scholar who knew "jentāculum", the Latin word
for breakfast, and who felt a need for an adjective missing from the
language. It had a fleeting period of rather ponderous popularity in
the nineteenth century.

    To valetudinarians and others the following method of
    making coffee for breakfast is earnestly recommended,
    as a most wholesome and pleasant jentacular beverage.
    [The New Family Receipt-Book, by John Murray, 1820.]

Several of its appearances are linked to the philosopher and jurist
Jeremy Bentham, best known for creating utilitarianism.

    Bentham composed after playing a prelude on the organ,
    or while taking his "ante-jentacular" and
    "post-prandial" walks in his garden.
    [Harper's New Monthly Magazine, Jul. 1852.]

The general view of the world at large seems to be that "breakfast"
needs no adjective, though "breakfasty" has been recorded a few times.
You may feel that's an ungainly construction, no substitute for the
elegant Latinate word. But "jentacular" is now as near defunct as a
word can be in an era when most of English literature is searchable at
the press of a button.

Wordface
ESTEEMED FELLOWS. Peter Chase asked about the derivation of "don", in
the sense of an academic at one of our ancient universities. The
source is the Spanish "Don", originally a term of high rank, which
derives from Latin "dominus", master or lord, which has also
bequeathed English words such as "dominate" and" dominium", as well as
"domine", a one-time term of respect for a clergyman or a member of a
learned profession and - as "dominie" - for a schoolmaster in
Scotland. Around the middle of the seventeenth century, English began
to use "don" for a leader or a man of importance or ability; to be a
don was to be an adept at some activity, whether literature, cricket
or a craft skill. Undergraduates at Oxford and Cambridge began to
humorously apply "don" to the tutors and fellows of their colleges,
with perhaps an echo of "domine", and the term went into the language.

IN THE SWIM. Kevin Armstrong asked me about "curglaff", which he had
come across earlier this year as a term for a commemorative swim at a
time when the water was still very cold. Many have sought the source
of this odd term but the trail always ends at John Jamieson's
Dictionary of the Scottish Language of 1808. He defined "curglaff "as
"The shock felt in bathing, when one first plunges into cold water"
and said it was a word from Banff in north-east Scotland. No other
example of it is known to exist, though it turns up occasionally today
in books of weird or obsolete words. It may be connected with the next
entry in Jamieson's dictionary, "curgloft", which he defined as
"panic-struck" and gave an example from a poem by William Meston of
1767: "Curgloft, confounded, and bumbaz'd, / On east and west by turns
he gazed."

ELSEWHERE. In the Financial Times magazine of 22 August Dan Jurafsky
wrote about the language of American menus (http://wwwords.org/slfds),
discovering, unsurprisingly perhaps, that he could predict the
prices just from the words. The report of a pilot study into spoken
British English (http://wwwords.org/mvase) by Lancaster University
and Cambridge University Press shows that "marvellous" has been
abandoned in favour of "awesome", that "cheerio" meaning goodbye is on
the way out and that "marmalade" is used a lot less than it was. On
the Oxford Blog (http://wwwords.org/xfdbg), David J Peterson
discusses how he sets about inventing languages, especially Dothraki
and Valyrian for Game of Thrones.

Furthest and farthest
Q. From Randolph Knipp in Texas: When you wrote in the issue of 9
August, "Kudos came to those who could pick up the ones furthest
away", should the word not have been "farthest"?

A. That word isn't in my vocabulary. It's likely that a speaker of
American English, such as yourself, would prefer "farthest", because
that spelling has survived in the US longer than in British English,
in which "furthest" is now almost universal in its various usages.

The same is true of the comparatives, "farther" and "further".

"Farther" is historically a variant of "further" and it's possible to
argue that there's no need for both. "Further" is the comparative of
an ancestor of English "forth", meaning outwards or onwards. "Farther"
came into being in Middle English under the influence of an old
comparative of "far", which was replaced in time by "further" and
"farther".

This connection with "far" strongly influenced the view of scholars
about the way that the words "ought" to be used: "farther" when a
literal distance was meant and "further" for quantity or degree. The
conventional view was summed up by Henry Bradley, who compiled the
letter F in the "Oxford English Dictionary". In the etymological note
for "farther" he wrote:

    In standard English the form "farther" is usually
    preferred where the word is intended to be the
    comparative of "far", while "further" is used where the
    notion of "far" is altogether absent; there is a large
    intermediate class of instances in which the choice
    between the two forms is arbitrary.
    [Oxford English Dictionary, First edition, 1897.]

The position was even less clear than he supposed. Both versions had
coexisted in the language happily for centuries with little or no
distinction of sense between them. In 1926, Fowler disagreed with
Bradley:

    The fact is surely that hardly anyone uses the two
    words for different occasions; most people prefer one
    or the other for all purposes, & the preference of the
    majority is for "further"; the most that should be said
    is perhaps that "farther "is not common except where
    distance is in question.
    [A Dictionary of Modern English Usage, by H W Fowler,
    1926.]

The British position has polarised even more since. My search of a
British newspaper database of the past twenty years finds that of the
total uses of the two words, less than 2% are spelled "farther".

Caveats are required: in American English, as I say, "farther" has
remained more common than in British English; in both countries, when
it appears, "farther" almost always refers to physical distances.

Sic!
"And no one could talk him out of it," Bob Rosenberg commented on a
report of 21 August on the San Francisco Chronicle site: "When
deputies arrived, they found a man down in the backyard and he was
determined to be deceased."

John Gray, Alan Russell and Ian McIver sent the headline from a BBC
News item of 27 August: "Eastbourne Pier contractors to resume work
after death."

"I don't recall seeing a headline with so many ambiguities!",
commented Mike Cowlishaw on this, from the CNN site on 28 August:
"Official: Russian forces back rebels with tanks in eastern Ukraine".

Useful information
can make yourself, though if problems occur you can e-mail me at
wordssubs at worldwidewords.org. To change your subscribed address or
leave the list, go to http://wwwords.org/sb . This newsletter is also
available on RSS (http://wwwords.org/rs)   and via Twitter
(http://wwwords.org/tw)   and Facebook (http://wwwords.org/fb)  . Back
issues for the past year are available here (http://wwwords.org/bk) .

EMAIL ADDRESSES: Comments on newsletter mailings are always welcome.
They should be sent to me at michael.quinion at worldwidewords.org. I do
try to respond, but pressures of time often stop me. Items for "Sic!"
should go to sic at worldwidewords.org. Questions for the Q&A section
should be sent to questions at worldwidewords.org, not to me directly.

SUPPORT WORLD WIDE WORDS: If you have enjoyed this newsletter and
would like to help defray its costs and those of the linked Web site,
please visit the support page (http://wwwords.org/st) .

COPYRIGHT: World Wide Words is copyright © Michael Quinion 1996-2014.
All rights reserved. You may reproduce this newsletter in whole or
part in free newsletters, newsgroups or mailing lists or as
educational resources provided that you include the copyright notice
above and give the web address of http://www.worldwidewords.org.
Reproduction of items in printed publications or commercial websites
requires permission from the author beforehand.