World Wide Words -- 08 Mar 14

Michael Quinion michael.quinion at WORLDWIDEWORDS.ORG
Thu Mar 6 23:01:00 UTC 2014

WORLD WIDE WORDS           ISSUE 872           Saturday 8 March 2014
       This mailing also contains an HTML-formatted version.
          A formatted version is also available online at
             http://www.worldwidewords.org/nl/hduu.htm

1. Feedback, Notes and Comments.
2. Grimoire.
3. Wordface.
4. Ham.
5. Sic!
6. Useful information.

1. Feedback, Notes and Comments
BLIND FREDDIE  Several subscribers commented on the piece in much
the same terms as Naomi Rankin: "The information about Frederick
Solomons is interesting, but doesn't seem to fit the idiom. To
underline the obviousness of something we would say that even an
unperceptive person could see it, not one who was renowned for his
remarkable acuteness of perception despite his blindness."

The idiom was surely a development of the much older slur "even a
blind man could see ..." (as in the Newcastle Morning Herald of New
South Wales in 1881: "even a blind man could see this is a clear
case of suicide"). Speakers used Blind Freddie as a well-known case
of a blind man to personify and localise the saying while ignoring
his special qualities.

HYPNAGOGIC  Dr John Brydon emailed from Australia: "The sudden jerk
that we may make when falling asleep, commonly in the belief we are
tumbling out of bed, gives rise to the most delightful name for a
medical syndrome that I know: the 'hypnagogic startle'."

CLUBBING  Ted MacKinney found the following headline, which appeared
in the Utah People's Post on 22 February: "Google clubs hands with
WRI to check deforestation". He and I find this an unusual sense of
the verb "club" and I wonder if it's an unconscious blend of "club
together" and "join hands with". But do readers know differently?

2. Grimoire
A grimoire is a book of magic that may contain spells, conjurations,
instructions for divination and the construction of amulets, and
other secret knowledge of a supernatural kind. The examples include
such famous works as the Sixth and Seventh Books of Moses, The Book
of St Cyprian, The Key of Solomon and The Sacred Magic of Abramelin
the Mage.

The word is French, in the same sense. It began to appear in French-
English dictionaries early in the nineteenth century but became more
widely known in the 1850s. In French, it was a medieval modification
of "grammaire", a book of grammar, by which was meant Latin grammar,
since at the time there was no other kind. It derives from the Latin
"grammatica", the study of literature in general, which by the
Middle Ages had come to mean knowledge of Latin.

The shift from book of grammar to book of magic isn't as weird as it
might seem. Few among the ordinary people in those times could read
or write. For superstitious minds books were troubling objects. Who
knew what awful information was locked up in them? For many people
grammar meant the same thing as learning, and everybody knew that
learning included astrology and other occult arts.

In medieval English, "grammarye" was likewise the study of Latin
grammar and this, too, took on undertones of occult learning, magic
and necromancy. It fell out of use but was revived by Sir Walter
Scott in his Lay of the Last Minstrel in 1805.

Another of Scott's popularisations was the Scots "glamour". This was
also from "grammar", with a small shift in pronunciation, and shared
the idea that grammar was linked with witchcraft and sorcery. To us
today glamour is physical allure but for the Scots of earlier times,
and for Scott, it was enchantment, magic or a spell cast upon a
person.

3. Wordface
FIDDLE, TWIDDLE AND TWEAK  A review by Steven Poole in the Guardian
last Saturday of Geek Sublime by Vikram Chandra noted the author's
use of the computer jargon verb FROBNICATE, frequently shortened to
"frob". Eric S Raymond defined it in The New Hackers' Dictionary in
1993 as "to manipulate or adjust, to tweak". Mr Raymond traced it to
"frobnitz", an ad hoc invention within the Tech Model Railway Club
at the Massachusetts Institute of Technology around 1960. Its users
abbreviated it to "frob" and others later extended it again. Steven
Poole says he knows enough computer code to be able to "hack around
in [the computer language] PHP a bit until my websites work the way
I want", which is a good definition of a FROBNICATOR in action.

DIFFICULT EXTRACTION  Jerry Krempel recently came across the British
expression WINKLE IT OUT and asked whether it has anything to do
with shellfish. It does indeed. Boiled winkles were once a favourite
seaside fast food in Britain, though consumption has fallen hugely
since the Second World War. Winkles were sold in paper bags together
with a pin, essential to extract the meat from the shell, though
even with its aid it often wasn't easy. To figuratively winkle out,
therefore, is to obtain something with difficulty. ("I'm very good
at counselling my friends and coming up with solutions to their
problems. Even if they don't want to talk, I'll winkle it out of
them!" -- Julian Clary in the Sun, Aug. 2013.) The verb was
originally military slang of the Second World War; even earlier a
winkle-pin was a bayonet.

4. Ham
A ham or ham actor is one who struts his piece upon the stage to
little effect, a fifth-rate artiste of the sort that P G Wodehouse
said "couldn't play the pin in Pinafore". He may fail because he is
an unskilled amateur, though the word is more often applied to a
thespian who overacts in a theatrical or ranting way to compensate
for his poor grasp of technique or to upstage his fellow actors.

The term is American and dates from the nineteenth century. Where it
comes from has been the subject of more inventive etymology than you
can shake a stick at. It's said to be from Hamlet's advice to the
actors ("O, it offends me to the soul to hear a robustious periwig-
pated fellow tear a passion to tatters, to very rags, to split the
ears of the groundlings"), though why it had to wait 300 years to
appear is not explained. A related idea is that the word comes from
the title of the play, which is one that amateurs frequently perform
badly. Others argue it's from a Cockney pronunciation of amateur,
"hamateur", but that would put the origin on the wrong continent.

In the 1860s, "ham" began to be used in America for somebody who was
stupid, clumsy or worthless, especially an untalented prize fighter.
This is most likely to have been borrowed from "ham-handed" or "ham-
fisted", meaning a person with large hands that fancifully resembled
the prepared ham of a pig, hence clumsy.

In a separate development in the 1870s, "ham" began to be applied to
variety performers, who were looked down on by "legitimate" actors.
It was also used for incompetents within the profession generally:

    Ham - is the most derisive word in the professional
    vocabulary, and if you wish to lose the friendship of
    anyone in the business call him a "ham," and that settles
    it. A person who can do nothing at all, can not speak his
    lines properly or is any way bad in his calling, is
    denominated a "ham".
    [Cincinnati Enquirer, 7 Sep. 1879.]

In this sense, it's almost certainly an abbreviation of the slightly
older "hamfatter":

    "When Dellaven proposed this concert business, I told
    him I was no ham-fatter, and --" "Ham-fatter?" "Yes. Ham-
    fatter. That's the name we give a man in our profession
    who is a poor performer."
    [Nashville Union and American, 6 Nov. 1874.]

The consensus is that the source lies with low-paid performers in
minstrel troupes, who had to make do with ham fat for cleaning off
make-up after a performance rather than a more expensive cream. It
seems likely that a mental association grew up with the existing
sense of "ham" for a clumsy or useless person. Another link may have
been "hambone", slang for a third-rate minstrel performer; this is
said - not entirely convincingly - to come from trombonists in such
troupes using ham fat to grease the slides of their instruments,
slangily known as "bones".

"Ham" later became a term for an amateur radio enthusiast. There has
been much controversy about where the term comes from, but it seems
certain that it's connected to "ham" in the sense of "clumsy". With
that meaning it was used in the 1890s by US railway telegraphers to
describe ill-trained, slow and inaccurate Morse-code operators. It
seems to have been adopted early in the next century as an inverted
badge of honour by early radio experimenters, who also communicated
using Morse code.

Roy Sinton tells us that on 1 March The Press of Christchurch, New
Zealand, reported on the restoration of a historic building that had
served as a monastery and as an alcoholics' rehabilitation centre:
"He was puzzled by the number of liquor bottles he found around the
place. Could they have been smuggled in by the alcoholics or did the
brothers sneak them in hidden down their cossacks?"

The Independent newspaper had an item on 2 March about Ukip, the UK
Independence Party (which wants the UK to leave the European Union).
Mark Daley read that its leader, Nigel Farage, was worried about a
threat from immigrant gamblers: "Mr Farage said it was 'nonsense' to
try and impose a cap on migration as a member of the EU, and said
that if he was a Romanian worker he would move to Britain for the
higher wagers being offered."

6. Useful information
you can make yourself, though if problems occur you can e-mail me at
wordssubs at worldwidewords.org. To change your subscribed address,
leave the list or re-subscribe, go to http://wwwords.org/sb. This
newsletter is also available on RSS (http://wwwords.org/rs) and on
Twitter (http://wwwords.org/tw). Back issues are available via
http://wwwords.org/bk.

E-MAIL CONTACT ADDRESSES: Comments on newsletter mailings are always
welcome. They should be sent to michael.quinion at worldwidewords.org.
I do try to respond, but pressures of time often stop me from doing
so. Items for Sic! should go to sic at worldwidewords.org. Questions
intended to be answered in the Q and A section should be sent to
questions at worldwidewords.org, not to me directly.

SUPPORT WORLD WIDE WORDS: If you have enjoyed this newsletter and
would like to help defray its costs and those of the linked Web
site, please visit the support page via http://wwwords.org/st.

COPYRIGHT: World Wide Words is copyright © Michael Quinion 2014. All
rights reserved. You may reproduce this newsletter in whole or part
in free newsletters, newsgroups or mailing lists or as educational
resources provided that you include the copyright notice above and
give the web address of http://www.worldwidewords.org. Reproduction
of items in printed publications or commercial websites requires
permission from the author beforehand.