World Wide Words -- 29 Mar 14

Michael Quinion michael.quinion at WORLDWIDEWORDS.ORG
Thu Mar 27 23:01:00 UTC 2014

WORLD WIDE WORDS           ISSUE 875          Saturday 29 March 2014
       This mailing also contains an HTML-formatted version.
          A formatted version is also available online at
             http://www.worldwidewords.org/nl/xmcr.htm

1. Feedback, Notes and Comments.
2. Cacoethes.
3. Wordface.
4. Box of birds.
5. Sic!
6. Useful information.

1. Feedback, Notes and Comments
SUPERNACULUM  Richard Brookman suggested an origin for "heel tap":
"I remember heel taps from my childhood in Yorkshire, where they
were the metal (or sometimes rubber) reinforcements that a cobbler
would insert into the outside edge of the heel of the shoe, where
most wear occurs. Metal ones made a tapping noise as you walked,
hence the name. Its shape surely gives the connection with drink:
it's exactly the one a slug of drink takes up in the bottom of a
tilted glass. I had never heard the term in reference to drinking
before, but the visual image was so exact I laughed."

Bill Winward recalled another association: "Almost fifty years ago
when I first went to the working men's club with my father, he
explained the etiquette of drinking in a round. Basically the rule
was that the first man to finish his drink bought the next round of
drinks. It was bad form to drink too quickly and rush other people
and stupid to do it again as it could get very expensive. However,
it was shameful to be considered a 'heel-tapper', a person who drank
all but a small amount and then waited for someone else to finish
their drink and get the next round in. I had thought that the
expression derived from the person impatiently tapping their heels
on the floor waiting for others to finish their drinks but now I
know better."

2. Cacoethes /kak at U'i:Ti:z/
An English word starting with a "kak" sound suggests something bad
or unpleasant, by analogy with words such as "cacography" for bad
handwriting (see http://wwwords.org/ccgy) and "cacophony" for a
horrible discordant noise. These join a plethora of medical terms,
mostly long obsolete, that include "cacothymia", a disordered state
of mind, and "caconychia", decaying nails.) "Cack", dung or faeces,
is a distant relative.

"Cacoethes" is of the same sort. It's an uncontrollable urge to do
something, especially something harmful. The first part is from
Greek "kakos", bad. To it has been added "thos", a disposition,
making a word for a bad habit. It arrived in English unchanged via
Latin.

It's almost, but not quite, as rare as some of those medical terms,
appearing sporadically in prose of the more elevated or pretentious
sort. (I was astonished to find hundreds of usages in newspapers in
the late 1980s. Was this a sudden outburst of classical erudition?
Alas not, just a successful racehorse. If it had been named as an
attempt at inverted magic, it seems to have worked.)

In a dictionary of quotations of 1808, D E Macdonnel commented that
"cacoethes" was never written alone, but always in combination with
some other word. That's not true today, but one of his phrases is a
Latin tag still known and quoted: "cacoethes scribendi". It's from
the Satires of the Roman author Juvenal: "Tenet insanabile multos
scribendi cacoethes"; in English, "many suffer from the incurable
disease of writing". Aspiring wordsmiths should note that an
uncontrollable urge to write doesn't necessarily lead to anything
worth reading.

Macdonnel also listed the vastly less common "cacoethes loquendi", a
compulsive desire to speak, where the second word derives from Latin
"loquax", loquacious or talkative; and "cacoethes carpendi", where
"carpendi" is from Latin "carpere", to pick, pluck or seize. He
defined this as a rage for collecting, but more usually it has been
an irresistible desire to criticize or find fault.

3. Wordface
LINES ALIGNED  We've had sequels, prequels, interquels and midquels,
now we have "parallelquels". These are subsequent works that take
place in a similar period to an earlier one but from a different
perspective. Films tagged with the term include The Bourne Legacy,
whose events take place around the same time as those in the earlier
Bourne Ultimatum, and 300: Rise of an Empire, a parallelquel to Zack
Snyder's earlier film, 300, about the Battle of Thermopylae. But the
first work to have the word used of it, in 2007, was The Eyre Affair
by Jasper Fforde, in which he transforms the concept of fiction into
Bookworld, a tangible fantasy alternative universe. The action takes
place mainly within Charlotte Brontë's Jane Eyre; in the Bookworld
version Jane goes to India with St John Rivers and leaves Rochester
in Thornfield Hall. Her kidnap by an evil real-world character who
is hiding in the book throws Bookworld into chaos and leads to the
work changing to the version we know.

I'M TERRIBLY SORRY  It's been around for years and I didn't know
until this week. Michael Gove, the controversial British secretary
of education, confessed in the Mail on Sunday last weekend that he
had a soft spot for contemporary eccentric music and was addicted to
chap-hop. This has been described as a mixture of hip-hop, steampunk
and affectionate ridicule of traditional English obsessions such as
cricket, tea and the weather. "Chap-hop artists," the Guardian
commented, "rap about anachronistic British stereotypes in received
pronunciation, often while smoking pipes and playing the banjolele".
Chap-hop artists - frightfully nice chaps, one and all - include
Poplock Holmes, Mr Bruce and the Correspondents, Professor Elemental
(see him here: http://wwwords.org/chphp) and Mr B The Gentleman
Rhymer. The genre is strongly linked to a magazine, The Chap, and to
its anarchic humorous offshoot Chappism, whose followers advocate
dressing well, pipe-smoking, wearing hats and moustaches, drinking
fine beverages and behaving with courtesy, especially towards the
ill-mannered. If you detect the influence of Wodehouse, the Goons
and Monty Python, you're on the right lines.

4. Box of birds
Q. I was discussing the expression "a box of birds" with a friend
and we wondered about its origins. I couldn't see any reference to
it when searching the site, so I wondered if you've ever mentioned
it in your weekly posts. If you're not familiar with it, it's often
used as a way of saying you're doing well: "I'm feeling like a box
of birds." [Mike Crowl, New Zealand]

A. It's a curious idiom, a common New Zealandism that's also found
in Australia, though much less often. You prompted a vague memory
that I'd come across it somewhere before, but it took a few minutes
to discover that it must have been in one of the Inspector Alleyn
detective stories of the New Zealand writer Ngaio Marsh:

    "He can answer questions, can't you, Bellairs?"
    "I'm fine," Breezy rejoined dreamily. "Box of birds."

    [A Wreath for Rivera, by Ngaio Marsh, 1949.]

This is an earlier example:

    At a gathering of his friends recently one insisted on
    taking a [stimulant] pill to discover its effects. For the
    remainder of the evening he was "the life of the party,"
    "a ball of muscle," "a box of birds," and everything else
    synonymous with pep and vitality, according to the
    soldier.
    [Auckland Star, 25 Sep. 1941.]

The story was about a soldier who had been invalided out after the
battle of Crete. We may link this with an article in the Sunday Mail
of Brisbane in July 1942, which recorded "to feel like a box of
birds" as Second World War slang of the Australian Navy. These seem
to suggest that it was slang of the armed forces that survived in
New Zealand after the war but failed to be adopted to a significant
extent in Australia. However, the first known use in print is this,
only six months after the war began:

    I have lately seen an actual "Box of Birds." The phrase
    I have always heard applied to a feeling of well-being,
    pep, or happiness; but now I know that is wrong. The box -
    or rather boxes - of birds I saw were some dozen or more
    shallow wooden trays, with small-meshed wire-netting tops,
    packed with poor miserable bedraggled sparrows, some dead,
    some on their backs with legs in the air dying, and others
    huddled together for warmth. They had been trapped for
    subsequent release as live targets for a gun shoot. Now
    when answering my inquiry "How are you?" I get "A box of
    birds" I see red.
    [Evening Post (Wellington), 23 Apr. 1940.]

"The phrase I have always heard" strongly suggests that it predates
wartime by a significant period. It could have been services slang
from the interwar period, or - more probably in my view - it was a
pre-war New Zealand idiom that was borrowed by Australian servicemen
through contact with New Zealanders during the war.

The origin is almost certainly a play on "chirpy", meaning cheerful
or lively, and it's linked to "chirpy as a bird", an expression of
carefree happiness common in the nineteenth century. "Box of birds"
is also often to be found much earlier, but solely in the literal
sense of a box containing, for example, racing pigeons or chickens.
We might guess the two were stuck together to make "chirpy as a box
of birds" as a superlative that was later truncated into the idiom.
But no trace exists in the record before the short form appeared.

It's likely it wasn't needed: "chirpy" is found long before "chirpy
as a bird". New Zealanders do very occasionally use "chirpy as a box
of birds" - like "chirpy as a bird" - it appears in the written
record more recently than "box of birds".

Whatever its origins and history, it has humorously evolved: "box of
fluffy ducks", "box of fluffies", "box of fluffy chooks" and "box of
budgies" are all ways to say that you're happy or that everything is
going well.

A review of Nymphomaniac Vol 1&2 which Alan Featherstone found in
the print edition of The Week dated 1 March read: "The two-part film
opens with the protagonist, Joe (Charlotte Gainsbourg), being found
beaten up in an alleyway by a kindly stranger". Understandably, the
online version has been reworded.

Howard Ritter was surprised to learn arthritis is infectious. An
American TV commercial for an arthritis medication features the
golfer Phil Mickelson, who says sympathetically, "If you have
painful, swollen joints, I've been in your shoes".

Athletic escapee shock! Ben Zipper saw this headline on Australia's
ABC News online on 23 March: "Man falls to death from power pole
while running from police".

Lynn Whinery tells us that the website Wealthy Health featured an
item about allergies on 21 March. It commented: "People with this
allergy report waking up in the middle of the night after eating
meat covered in sweat and hives." Next time, buy from a different
supermarket?

6. Useful information
you can make yourself, though if problems occur you can e-mail me at
wordssubs at worldwidewords.org. To change your subscribed address,
leave the list or re-subscribe, go to http://wwwords.org/sb. This
newsletter is also available on RSS (http://wwwords.org/rs) and on
Twitter (http://wwwords.org/tw). Back issues are available via
http://wwwords.org/bk.

E-MAIL CONTACT ADDRESSES: Comments on newsletter mailings are always
welcome. They should be sent to michael.quinion at worldwidewords.org.
I do try to respond, but pressures of time often stop me from doing
so. Items for Sic! should go to sic at worldwidewords.org. Questions
intended to be answered in the Q and A section should be sent to
questions at worldwidewords.org, not to me directly.

SUPPORT WORLD WIDE WORDS: If you have enjoyed this newsletter and
would like to help defray its costs and those of the linked Web
site, please visit the support page via http://wwwords.org/st.

COPYRIGHT: World Wide Words is copyright © Michael Quinion 2014. All
rights reserved. You may reproduce this newsletter in whole or part
in free newsletters, newsgroups or mailing lists or as educational
resources provided that you include the copyright notice above and
give the web address of http://www.worldwidewords.org. Reproduction
of items in printed publications or commercial websites requires
permission from the author beforehand.