Mildly Off Topic

Grant Barrett gbarrett at AMERICANDIALECT.ORG
Fri Apr 30 10:04:33 UTC 1999

But lasers pre-date PROMs and EPROMs, do they not? At least laser theory?

Ken Miller wrote:
} At 6:34 PM -0700 4/28/99, Grant Barrett wrote:
} >order, created our own DVD disk (which is digital). I can't prove it,
but
} >I suspect "to burn a CD or DVD" comes from the fact that these disks
are
} >created (and read) using lasers, which evokes in the minds of some the
ray
}
} I'm pretty sure that "burn" in this sense predates the CD (and laser)
era.
} It goes back to the days of PROMs and EPROMs, at least.