Go(ld) Fish!

Greg Pulliam pulliam at IIT.EDU
Mon Aug 2 03:44:31 UTC 1999

At this moment my 17-year-old stepdaughter and my 9-year-old son (who
have lived in Chicago for six years) are arguing with my 14-year-old
stepson (who has lived in Pittsburgh for two years) and a 17-year-old
family friend (who grew up in Boston).  The issue:  is the card game
"Go Fish!" as believed fervently by the former, or "Goldfish!" as
embraced just as strongly by the latter?

I have told them that it is likely that they are both right, but that
I would submit the question to this list for confirmation or denial.
It looks like _Goldfish_ is an eastern phenomenon, while _Go Fish_ is
the midwestern version, but is this really the case?  We have just
begun a weeklong stay together on Drummond Island, MI, so we will all
be looking forward anxiously to hearing from those of you who care to
respond, or who have time to respond.

Thank you!
-
Greg