"The man who dies rich dies in disgrace" (continued)

Bapopik at AOL.COM Bapopik at AOL.COM
Mon Aug 2 00:35:20 UTC 1999

    In today's NEW YORK POST, 1 August 1999, pg. 7, is:

GATE$: MY DOUGH WILL
GO BEFORE I LOG OFF
(Box) "The man who dies rich dies in disgrace." ANDREW CARNEGIE
     The richest man in the world is giving almost all of it away.
     Microsoft founder Bill Gates and his wife plan to devote most of their
$105 billion fortune to wiping out deadly diseases such as AIDS and malaria,
the Sunday Times of London reported today.
(...)
     But Gates, a self-made man, has read Andrew Carnegie's "The Gospel of
Truth" several times and loves the quote, "The man who dies rich dies in
disgrace."

     The story is taken from Sunday's Times of London, which is at:
www.sunday-times.co.uk/news/pages/Times/frontpage.html?999.
      Check the ADS-L archives.  I made a posting here on 2 December 1997,
quoting the 11 March 1906 WASHINGTON POST that had Carnegie denying he ever
said this.
      I found this using Historical Newspapers Online, from the NEW YORK
TIMES, 30 March 1905, pg. 2, col. 1:

     _Denies a Famous Saying_
     "In what I am now doing (giving money to colleges and libraries--ed.) I
find supreme satisfaction. I know of no pleasure in life which for me is
compatable to creating a library which is not mine when created, but belongs
to the people.  A library is a cradle of democracy.  I never said that to die
rich is to die disgraced.  What I did say was much more sensible and much
nearer the truth.  Some time we will discuss that if it interests you."

      So there you have it.  Carnegie really said that it's a disgrace not to
give your billions to something like a library that contains something like
the Dictionary of American Regional English.
      E-mail Gates at once!