Fwd: druthers

Pafra & Scott Catledge scplc at GS.VERIO.NET
Fri Aug 6 22:54:00 UTC 1999

----- Original Message -----
From: Laurence Horn <laurence.horn at YALE.EDU>
To: <ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
Sent: Thursday, August 05, 1999 9:40 PM
Subject: Re: Fwd: druthers

>I would rather>I'd rather>I'd ruther>I druther fight than switch.  More
>commonly found in "If I had my druthers."  Probably obsolescent in most
>urban dialects of English--as is "in my stead" and similar expressions such
>as the distinction between bring and fetch or that and yon.

Well, yes; that would be the "reanalysis" to which I was referring. But the
questions posed were:
--what sort of attestation do we have (date and place of earliest cites)?
--what evidence we have for intermediate stages? (Do we ever find "I
druther"?)
--what prompted the switch to the noun, or as the original querier put it,
the "change from gapped clause to declinable noun", i.e. a count noun
capable of pluralization?

I'm wondering if there was perhaps a self-conscious adaptation here, à la
"monokini" and similar waggish pseudo-naive reanalyses.

Larry