"As if" in Rushdie's latest

M. Rudge mrudge at U.WASHINGTON.EDU
Mon Aug 16 05:53:45 UTC 1999

I recall hearing "as if" appearing much earlier than the cluless
movie. Wayne and Garth from "Wayne's World" on Saturda Night Live
used this expression regularly. I'm not sure if it originated in this time
frame but I remember hearing it for the first time from Wayne and Garth.
It has a california surfer lingo ring to it.
michelle