Evolution of Languages

Jim Rader jrader at M-W.COM
Mon Aug 16 08:50:57 UTC 1999

People on this list might want to know, if they don't already, that
Merritt Ruhlen is a sort of pop proselytizer of Joseph Greenberg's
ideas about the genetic relationships of the world's language
families--though in confidently reconstructing Proto-World, I think
Ruhlen has gone beyond even Greenberg.  Ruhlen openly sneers at
conventional historical linguistics and those who practice it.  Most
linguists sneer right back at him, though I think it fair to say that
even those who seriously think about long-range comparison don't take
Ruhlen too seriously, and feel that Ruhlen's hostility toward
academia has needlessly antagonized many.  I'm sorry to see that
Ruhlen is still finding fora to advance his ideas.  (For anyone
interested, there's a summary of Ruhlen's methodology and a critique
of it in Larry Trask's _Historical Linguistics_ (London: Arnold,
1996), pp, 391-96.)

Jim Rader