"hot dog"--another correction

Gerald Cohen gcohen at UMR.EDU
Sun Aug 22 02:14:24 UTC 1999

      In an Aug. 19 message, Barry Popik critically quotes  two  newspaper
article s which repeat the erroneous treatment of the  History Channel
concerning  the origin of "hot dog."   But within the overall context of
the History Channel's  erroneous treatment, one mistake (already frequently
made previously)  deserves  refutation:

    "It is believed Dorgan couldn't spell the word dachshund so he settled
on dog--the caption read 'Come get your hot dogs'."

    For the record, T.A. Dorgan was not only a  sports cartoonist but a
sportswriter, and a very good one.   Most likely, he was in fact able to
spell "dachshund," but in any case, his newspaper office surely had a
dictionary handy. Are we really supposed to believe that this very literate
man was too lazy to look up a word in the dictionary if he had doubts about
its spelling?

-----Gerald Cohen

gcohen at umr.edu