Misunderstandings of lyrics

Gerald Cohen gcohen at UMR.EDU
Mon Aug 23 01:51:39 UTC 1999

    For some years I have been collecting examples of children
misunderstanding such items  as "round yon  virgin" ("Round John Virgin")
and "Pontius Pilate" ("Pontius Pilot," resulting in a third grader drawing
a Christimas picture featuring an airplane with a mother, father and baby,
plus one additional man in the front; the additional man was "Pontius
Pilot").

    Recently I received an e-mail message reportedly taken off the
Internet.  It presents a list of such misunderstandings plus some,
evidently, made by adults;  I do not vouch for the authenticity of every
one:

gcohen at umr.edu