SQUATTING

Bob Fitzke fitzke at VOYAGER.NET
Mon Aug 23 18:37:51 UTC 1999

Squatting is comparable to a legal concept called "adverse possession". The
elements are "open, notorious, and adverse" possession of property for a
period of years, 15 is probably about the number in most state laws. After
that period the adverse possessor gains ownership. A comparable concept
exists for adverse usage which results in gaining the permanbent right to
continued use. Footpaths and driveways are often the subject of adverse
usage.

Bob