Misunderstood lyrics

D. Ezra Johnson ezra_50 at HOTMAIL.COM
Tue Aug 24 03:19:34 UTC 1999

>You're probably thinking of Manfred Mann's Earth Band's cover of
>Bruce Springsteen's "Blinded by the Light," which includes the haunting but
>easily misheard lines:
>
>               Blinded by the light
>         revved up like a deuce
>         Another runner in the night

The page of lyrics (http://www.kissthisguy.com/real.html) gives two Manfred
Mann versions of the line: "revved up" and "wrapped up". Are there two
Manfred Mann recordings with different lyrics, or just two opinions on what
Manfred sang?

BTW, Springsteen wrote and sang "cut loose like a deuce", which I don't
think, given the context, means much of anything.

Any guesses on why Mann changed the lyric, or on what "wrapped/revved up
like a deuce" might signify?

DEJ

"Little deuce coupe, you don't know what I've got..."