Charles Harrington Elster (continued)

Bapopik at AOL.COM Bapopik at AOL.COM
Sun Aug 29 23:07:46 UTC 1999

   Charles Harrington Elster substituted for William Safire in the "On
Language" column in today's New York Times.  He calls himself a "word
detective."
    Many months ago, I posted here (Gareth Branwyn had just been in contact
with Elster) an offer that Elster can join the American Dialect Society and
the American Name Society for free.  I'd pay his dues.  No questions asked.
Free.
   There was no response.
   I sent a certified letter to the New York Times.
   There was still no response.
   The New York Times must have no standards at all.