Frisco

Thu Dec 2 21:38:56 UTC 1999

This elision of the preposition (or occasionally an article) is different
from clipping/abbreviating, but it interests me.  I've noticed that
something goes "over top of" something else here in southern Ohio, and that
many people "graduate high school."  My British grad student (London, age
24) says she and her friends "go down the pub."  How widespread are these
usages?