They Don't Speak Our Language; Amazon follies (continued)

Bethany K. Dumas dumasb at UTK.EDU
Mon Dec 6 13:05:38 UTC 1999

On Mon, 6 Dec 1999, Dennis R. Preston wrote:
>They ripped my old Professor off for "The Sting," but he won quite a
>lucrative case against them. As I recall the settlement amount was never
>revealed. I agree that his work on "seamy-side" US English is much
>under-cited. His work was not only authentically collected but often
>presentated in an ethnographically detailed way. Hadn't been for him and
>Fred Cassidy, I'd still be down in the coal mines.

I was once interviewed by U of Louisville. At my insistence (and I HAD to
insist), your old prof was included in the interviewing porocess --
we went out to his house. What a treat!

Bethany