Green mile; Vietnamese cooking

Kenneth Setzer ksetzer at ENG.FIU.EDU
Mon Dec 13 14:14:11 UTC 1999

Also of interest in the movie is the pronunciation of the rhotic vowel, as in "bird." Many characters say it as the diphthong in "Boyd." As far as I understood, besides
in New York (with a different phonological distribution), this pronunciation only happened in New Orleans. This would explain the mention of Louisiana in the film, but
I wonder if this pronunciation is known to have occurred outside New Orleans, since the prison in the movie is WAY outside of any city.