Vietnam Star & other drinks

Tue Dec 28 12:40:15 UTC 1999

Debauchery! Wasn't never no debauchin' in Columbus OH!

dInIs

PS: "Antifogmatic" sounds like "hair of the dog" to me. This is an
(apparently) wide-spread folk belief, and one which gives rise to various
playful expressions. Better than English's "dog hair" is, in my opinion,
Polish's "wedge in a wedge." I.e., if you wake up with something that feels
like a wedge in your head, you have to drive a smaller wedge into it to
break it up.

PPS: Please don't ask if this is the origin of "wedgie." It ain't.

>Dennis Preston remembers the following from his days of youthful
>debauchery: "The other "heroic" drink there (with a bigger dose of
>rum as I recall) was known as a "fog-cutter.""
>
>In the early 19th century, at least, the first drink of the morning
>seems to have been known as an "antifogmatic".
>
>GAT

Dennis R. Preston
Department of Linguistics and Languages
Michigan State University