Einstein

Mark_Mandel at DRAGONSYS.COM Mark_Mandel at DRAGONSYS.COM
Thu Jul 1 18:32:21 UTC 1999

Barry sez:

HE'S NO EINSTEIN

     Jay Leno uses this a lot.  It's rare, but a person's last name alone can
be the slang phrase.  "Hey, nice going, EINSTEIN!"
     I've never seen it recorded.
     The AMERICAN MACHINIST, 3 December 1956, pg. 109, advertisement for
Tomkins-Johnson reamers:

     _Now they call Joe a genius_*
     *He's no Einstein--but he figured how to cut costs...
<<<

>From the late fifties and early sixties, I recall these used sarcastically:

     Great play, Shakespeare!
          (sports, games?)

     [Brilliant deduction], Sherlock!
          (to someone who has just stumbled upon the obvious;
           but I think I have the bracketed part wrong)

-- Mark