C21st

Aaron E. Drews aaron at LING.ED.AC.UK
Tue Jul 6 08:10:54 UTC 1999

> Yes, I have always been ignorant but a little curious about these kinds of
> abbreviations, which are used a lot by academics and students, of course.
> Are they more European than American? I don't know! I've seen 19C, C19, 19th
> c., 19th C., C19th, etc. What are their origins and "distributions"?

I noticed the use of "C19" when I took historical English courses here.  At
this university (or perhaps only in one department), the convention is "C19"
for note-taking and on informal writing (ie, seminar handouts), and on the
occasional footnote in formal publications (probably with British
publishers).

> Any enlightenment?

Wasn't that C18 :-)

--Aaron

Aaron E. Drews                               The University of Edinburgh
http://www.ling.ed.ac.uk/~aaron          Departments of English Language
+44 (0)131 650-3485                                      and Linguistics
aaron at ling.ed.ac.uk